Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A Five Year Old

Today Dane is 5. He has been so excited for his birthday he has been talking about it for weeks any chance he has gotten. He joins two cousins that turned 5 earlier in the summer and I guess that means he's big time now. I thought I'd make a list for you Dane, one day when you're raising a kid just like yourself I know you'll understand!

At 5.....
  • you tell me stories all day long. You make up all sort of things I should have been writing down. You tell me about your dreams, sometimes days later. They seem so real, you remember every detail. I don't think your mind ever, ever stops.
  • you have the funniest baby voice (sort of like a boy Carol Channing?) that you use when you talk to Reed. On your first day of preschool you leaned in and in your funny voice you said, 'Don't worry I'll be back. Don't be scared I'm just going to preschool.' He just stared back at you not sure of what you were saying. It was so cute.
  • you love to draw and color. At church you make mazes that your dad and I have to find our way through to get to the monster. Really the page is just full of scribbles and we aren't sure where to go but you know which scribble is which and let us know when we are headed down the wrong path.
  • your day is still not complete without at least 2 packets of Brown Sugar and Maple oatmeal. I have no idea when you are going to get tired of this but I don't care, it's your best meal. Sometimes we get you to stay in your bed with a promise of 5 packets in the morning. You reply that you want 8, we say OK and you don't come out of your room again. It might not be right but it works!
  • you have a serious memory and vocabulary. You take in big words and use them in context. I want to write down half of what you say but I need your memory to remember it all!
  • you love sucking your thumb. I want you to quit but I can't stand thinking of you not having that one thing to calm you down. I think you still need it.
  • you are a snuggler and we take every one we can get!
  • you still need a nap most days. Even an hour does you and your mood good!
  • you are loving, funny, busy, smart, demanding, caring and happy (most days).

Happy #5 Buddy, We Love You!!!

24 comments:

Korbi said...

remember when he first started saying "ginormous?" We would make him repeat it over and over again! :) Happy BIrthday Dane.

Elizabeth said...

What a cutie. I love age 5!

Brenda said...

What a stud muffin. Happy Birthday Dane!

Shaila Lou said...

Happy Birthday Dane! I don't think he could understand the boys when they called, since they were putting their mouths right up to it and talking way too loud! Maybe we'll have to have cupcakes and give him our present when we come home in a couple weeks!

Oh and Malcolm does the exact same thing with his dreams. How can they remember so much! Love it!

Carolyn said...

Happy happy birthday Dane! What a cute kid you are.

donna said...

great post!!!
HAPPY B-day DANE:)

becca said...

So sweet....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! So so sweet, and what a darling boy!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Happy day of giving birth to Dane, Melanie. He's gonna love this list...I loved reading it. I thought I knew him until I read it, I didn't know about the mazes or the big words.

His words to Reed are just plain sweet.

Does he eat sweet/sour sauce from McDonald's on his oatmeal?

The thing I remember best about Dane is he is ALWAYS dressing up. I don't think I've ever been to your house when he isn't in a gizmo.

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday Daner! :)

That's funny he is telling you he'll be back and it's only preschool, ha!

jenny said...

What a cutie pie. Happy Birthday to Dane!

michelle said...

I love this list! What great memories you have recorded here.

One of my boys was always drawing mazes in sacrament meeting for us, too. Now I can't remember which one! And the whole oatmeal thing is just hilarious.

Granny DeeAnn said...

I can't believe my little sweetheart is 5! You are right about him being a snuggler! He has the ability to wrap us right around his little finger and then pull really hard on our nerves! I know he's waited a long time to go to school. Now only 5 more years and you will have some real peace. Give him a big kiss and hug from Grandma Dee Ann!!!

Heather said...

What a handsome guy! I loved your post Mel. You have a great way with words. Miss you guys!

Jake, Ashlee, and Jaxon Gardner said...

What a cutie!!! Happy Birthday! I love Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal too!! :)

Oh and I wanted to tell ya that the animal train from either Playskool or Fisher Price is awesome! It has a giraffe, elephant, panda bear, and a monkey that rides around on a train that plays music! It's definately been one of the most popular toys when kids come over to play!

Barb said...

Awesome list, just the kind of stuff you need to get down so that you'll have it to look back on.

Holly said...

It is so great you have this blog to refer to in 10 years when he is a teenager and you need to remember the good things about when they were little! He is a waaay handsome little guy!

Anna said...

Dane, Dane, Dane-you are a character! Im raising you now (Dallin-the 2nd child) so I think your mom can give me some pointers.

I love Dane's voice!

Dustin and Tara said...

I love how you wrote all that about Dane. Unless I write things down, I soon forget all the cute things the boys do. What a cutie. I'm glad Kimble has such a great friend to play, laugh, and be silly with!

steve and lisa said...

Melanie
Thanks so much for coming to the baptism! You are such a great leader in our ward! Dane is such a great kid! He just cracks me up - I love sitting behind you guys in church & just smiling! Your kids are so cute! And, you are an amazing mom! I love the tribute to your son - you have such a beautiful way with words! Lisa

Angie said...

okay i need to hear the carol channing voice! that sounds adorable.

Lucy said...

Soooooper cute five year old! Happy Birthday to Dane!

Amie said...

Happy Birthday Dane! I love 5.... he is so cute and full of it... which is just darling... especially from the outside!

Laurie said...

Very cute. I loved reading this b/c I can relate to some of this. Like the idea of needing the kid's brilliant memory to write down all the things that they so brilliantly say and remember!

Melinda said...

Happy Birthday to you Melanie! Hope you have a fantastic day!