Saturday, November 15, 2008

Girls Go Shopping

Thanks to Kat and her new Crayola kid camera (and Gramimi for giving it to her) I have photos to go with my post. I pulled out my camera when we were at Olive Garden only to discover a missing memory card (second time in a month)! Arrgghh! So lower quality ahead but still cute and documented, perfect.

This is the year Kat gets to have a friend birthday party. Oh how I dread parties (totally my mom's fault). We've been talking about what to do for a couple months and a week or so I ago I decided to ask her if she would rather take a friend shopping out of town for the day over a big party. Before I could even finish asking the question, she was jumping up and down knowing exactly what she wanted to do. Shopping was the overwhelming winner and I can't say I was disappointed either.

~proof Marion and I were there~

She chose to take her sweet friend Hanna. Hanna's mom Kortni and I have been friends since before Hanna and Nathan were even born so I knew Kort would trust me to have her for hours upon hours (10am-9pm!). After picking up Hanna, we picked up Marion and our girl day (+ Reed) was on it's way. The girls took a ton of photos, watched a movie and giggled the whole way there. Reed slept and Marion and I chatted with no interruptions. Nice.

Our first stop was Olive Garden and the girls were hungry and started right in on the breadsticks (so did we, I love those things). Marion brought this tiara for Kat to wear. After she had it on and wore it for hours we find out it was $130 tiara Brianne wore for her wedding! Thank heavens we didn't know that to begin with. She got comments on it all day and she beamed thinking she was a princess. They sang to Kat and brought them a scoop of ice cream to share. It was a hit after the mac and cheese they both ate.

After lunch we went to the movies and saw Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Marion and I came so close to falling asleep, it was a definite snoozer. Not that I thought it was Oscar material but Reed looked so good sleeping I just wanted to join him. The girl's loved it so at least it wasn't a total waste.

Our next stop was the nail salon. Both girls wanted their nails painted. Hanna had a french manicure on her mind and Kat wanted pink and blue alternating. All of it was lost in translation but they were both happy when we left and again, that was our goal.

Kathryn was going crazy with the camera when Hanna was getting her nails done. We have photos of all the nail art on the walls, the fake nail displays, the nail fan, the chair, the floor, many of Hanna and then she moved on to the rides outside the salon. Funny girl.

Reed was an angel baby ALL day long. It could not have gone better with him. He was extra cute snuggled up with Marion during the movie. He loved the big screen. He took the girl's day like a champ!

I think Kortni and I are raising bloggers, they talked about starting a blog together, posting photos, planning get togethers to they can write stories and how fun it would be to have their own blog like us. Is it sick that I think it's so cute I want them to have one? Photos they took that I didn't know about until making this post (proving they could be future bloggers)....their mac and cheese, Marion's soup, Kat's sweatshirt hanging on the back of the seat in front of her, the DVD player that they watched on the way down, Hanna's blanket, me driving, the seats at the movie theater and many at the nail salon. I love that they can just click away with digital. Definitely not the case back when I had my Le Clic with disc film, ha!!

Anyway we had a fun, fun day. To be 8 years old and have so much happiness and fun in each new thing. I tried to remember being that age and how I would have felt. I'm glad to build memories for them and I hope they both remember how much fun we had.

An enormous thanks Marion, you were fabulous to spend your Saturday with us. And to Milo (sick withmy strep illness, bleck) for hanging with the other boys all day long so we could shop like women!

16 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh man, what a great gift for Kat. Them mimicking us blogging is very funny. They know exactly what to look for!

I loved reading this post Melanie. It's always so fun to hear your perception.

$130? Gulp. It reminds me of a time we were invited to supper and she served us rootbeer in goblets. When we were almost done she said they were Civil War goblets. I gave the look to the kids to not take ONE MORE SIP. I was so afraid they'd tip one over and break it. Somethings are just better not to know.

What a sweet thing for Marion to do. I want to be a grandma just like her.

Anonymous said...

That is so great and I love all the pictures! SO fun!

I'm so with Jane on the $130 tiara. I would have been a wreck if I had known it was that much too. Ugh. I'm glad you didn't know the whole day long.

Marion said...

It was a great day! I came home and fell into bed! 8 year olds can wear you out when you're 28! (ha! ha!) Thanks for inviting this old granny along! I'm glad Kathryn got some great pictures to document. I'm looking forward the the 8 year olds blog! It will be inspiring, I'm sure!

Heidi said...

What a fun day! I'm so glad you ended up taking her and Hanna to town. I would have loved to be in on that birthday party- olive garden, manicures and a movie with slushy, candy and popcorn? Who could ask for more?!!! The movie made me laugh. I would have wanted to fall asleep too. :)

Stephen said...

Happy Birthday and oh, what a fun day! Beverly Hills Chihuaha, (I can't even spell it, I just typed a bunch of letters and it looked right) you ARE a great mom, I wouldn't moaned thru the whole thing. I can't wait to get back to Moses and ask Hanna about her fun, I'll bet she talks about it for weeks! :)

Robyn said...

What a fun day for Kat! Looks like it went well and much easier than a big party! I can't believe that she got to wear a REAL tiara for her special day! Wow. The photos are so cute and the one of Reed is adorable. What a sweet boy!

jenny said...

What a fun outing. And thank goodness for a camera back up. Happy birthday Kat!

Jill said...

That looks like the ultimate birthday outing for an 8 year old girl!

Carolyn said...

Oh happy birthday Kat! I love that she took so many pictures and that you used some on your blog. Hooray for her turning 8!!

donna said...

what a great day. shopping, eating and manicures. FUN FUN!:)

becca said...

What a GREAT day!! That will be something she always remembers!

Amie said...

What a fun birthday. I am a fan of the "pick a friend" party rather than invited everyone you know...

Cute pictures. I love that she brought her Crayola camera.

Happy Birthday Kat!

Melinda said...

What a perfect girls party for Kat. My girls would love a party like that. That is so crazy that tiara was soo darn expensive! It looks it. Glad nothing happened to it.

steve and lisa said...

Looks like a blast! She will ALWAYS remember her fun day! You are a great mom! Love you fun post & your great stories! And your adorable pictures! Lisa

Shaila Lou said...

Sounds like one fun day! I would have loved that day as well.

Love the whole blogging thing. I think it would be too cute for her to have her own private blog. I would just love to hear what she had to say!!

Anonymous said...

Thank-you so much for making Hanna's day. She still won't stop talking about it. I hadn't got to look at the pics till today. HOW FUN!! We are lucky to have friends like you and kat...