Monday, December 15, 2008

An Arctic Chill and The BSOD

It is freezing today and the forecast shows more freezing in the next few days. With wind chill right now it's -1 degrees...cold, cold. I'm thankful for so much right now realizing even in my humble home I have so much more than some.

I'm grateful for

  • electricity for our heater, warm water and our stove.
  • food in the cupboards.
  • coats, hats, scarves, gloves. all these clothes to keep us warm.
  • a husband with a bum knee that crawled on the ground (with said knee hurting the whole time) and unthawed our pipes last night with my blow dryer (they froze in 4 hours time while we were up at Marion's!).
  • cars that work properly and have heaters (even if one just cost $400 to fix).

We are so blessed! And I am grateful!


Saturday while Nathan and Kathryn were at basketball, Dane entertained himself outside in the snow. He made tracks and snow angels and then moved onto this tiny snowman. I brought him a carrot and two popsicle sticks and he found the rocks for eyes. It was adorable and I was a little sad it fell apart by the afternoon.

One question. Does this mean I talk on my cell phone too much? It took 8 tries to get this blurry photo. Reed would 'talk' on the phone and then lunge for the camera. It was a fun little game after his bath this morning.

Our computer is almost 5 years old (or 100 in computer years, ha!) and for a few months we've know it was hanging on there by a wing and a prayer. It was slower that cold tar and took forever to load anything, all the signs of it giving it up were there. I ignored them, they were annoying. Today the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) showed up. And since then, I've been going crazy trying to make it work (and ignoring all else that needs to be done around here). Most of our photos are backed up, just nothing else document wise. I sure hope all is not lost but when will I learn my lesson? It happens all the time and people post about backing things up and cry about all that's lost (which I will do when I know if it's gone for good). I even left Michelle a comment about how I was going to do it that day. And not surprisingly, I didn't do it. Ugh! Maybe by some miracle we'll get our stuff off of the old thing. I'm SO grateful for the external hard drive we do have and that it contains my Blurb book, most of my photos and a few other randoms that I copied. In conclusion, I have a problem heeding warnings. I need help. :)

And like Michelle, I'll post my warning......BACK EVERYTHING UP!!!

17 comments:

Barb said...

I am sorry to hear that your computer went cold along with the weather! We have an external hard drive, but I honestly don't know how much is backed up on it and how much isn't.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Listen to your mama next time. How many years have I been saying that? How many years have I heard the same from my mama? How many years will you say it? Are we generations of sayers and not doers? hmmmm.... I'm sure not what you want to hear today..... sorry about the computer. We'll fix it soon.....

Granny DeeAnn said...

Oh, and buddy is way too young to use a cell phone. Oh, and Dane is so creative! 5 1/2 days to arrival!

donna said...

This is crazy weather. I can't believe how cold it is. Ok i am ready for SUMMER NOW!

Lucy said...

bummer about your computer. I'm like you. I keep reading these horror stories but do I have a back-up? No. Will I do it tonight? Probably not. Wish me luck.

I know those cold-snaps and I know those frozen pipes. Our hot water heater in Spokane was located in our un-insulated garage and if it got cold, we'd have to leave a faucet dripping to avoid a freeze.

Jill said...

That photo of Reed is so stinkin cute!

I was standing on our heat vent earlier and feeling very grateful for heat because it is so cold outside. I am wearing a sweater and cloud socks (I never do that) and it is just so cold today.

The computer stuff scares me. I am comforted that I put all my photos into my Smugmug galleries, but there is so much more that I'd be devasted to lose.

tiff said...

O my dear friend.. I am so sorry, but just look at that cute little snowman and then maybe you can smile again! :) --Korbi

Carolyn said...

Don't worry! Brent loves computers and is excited to look at it for you.

Melinda said...

Alright I am going to learn how to back up and do it!! Good luck with your computer. What a drag.

Dustin and Tara said...

Danes picture looks almost identical to Kimble! But ya I still haven't even downloaded it yet! And that picture of Reed is so cute....of course!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm right there with you, I KNOW to back up. I've lost things three different times and had them painfully extracted a couple more (by the way, I love the way you count in computer years), but have I backed up even though it's been nagging for a month in the back of my mind? Nope.

TODAY. I will today. Thanks for the call from the bottom of despair.

Can't wait to see you.

Dane and his snowman and Reed are both so cute...

Yay for Milo and the loaded hair dryer. Good thing you carry a heavy duty one.

Shaila Lou said...

I love Dane's little snowman! He's a crack up! Reed looks adorable on the phone!

That stinks about your computer. I have a "new" one sitting here right next to mine, and have yet to use it because I need to get everything off this one. Maybe your mom can fix it for you!

Heidi said...

Poor Milo crawling underneath with a blowdryer! I can't believe Reed talks on the phone, too cute. Your computer crash scares me b/c I keep waiting to back up my pictures until the end of the year. I just hope nothing happens until then... eeks. Good luck.

jenny said...

Brrrr for you guys. Remember when my computer did that a few months ago? I am living in the stone age for computers as well. I hope you can get it working up to par again. My suggestion would be to get a bigger inside (more ram) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

ARGH! Can you believe this cold?! I'm so hoping this is our one cold snap for the winter and the rest will be nice and mild. Honestly.

Oh. Backing up computers. After several losses, I'm a faithful backer-upper every month. I NEVER want to go through the anguish of losing stuff again.

becca said...

AH!! I am so sorry! I need that warning! Brandon and I talk about this EVERY night when we get in bed...we need to back everything up, but then the next day we both forget! I REALLY need to do this!

Your pictures are darling! I love the one of REed and the phone, he is so cute!

Amie said...

I got the benefit of backing up earlier this year too... such a pain to have a computer go down.

I can't believe how cold it is there.

I am so grateful for a warm house and all of the comforts we have. I can't even imagine how grouchy I would be if I were cold all the time.