Friday, January 30, 2009

Five for Friday

1. This week I've unofficially been following Weight Watchers and have been 'counting points'. It hasn't been all bad but but I've figured out my hard times for snacking. All day long and in the evening, ha!! This is definitely a work in progress.

2. It's time to confess my latest distraction, Facebook. I would say it's a huge waste of time and I waste enough blogging (blah, blah) but a couple weeks ago my best friend from HS joined and found me. It's been at least 6-7 years since I've talked to or seen her. And then this week my best friend from Ricks joined and found me. I haven't seen or talked to her for about the same amount of time. I didn't have to do anything except waste time, see it is halfway productive.

3. Tonight before the kids went to bed I turned on a DVR'd program of Little Einstein for Reed (he never gets baby shows like they did). Of course the older kids say it's for him but they sit and watch too. It was all about China and the dragon kites putting on a parade (they've seen it a few times). Kathryn starts mentioning that China is beautiful but that it isn't a nice place to live. She says, 'They tell you what to do, where to live, your job. Stuff like that.' We all just take that in and keep watching the show. Then a few minutes later she says, 'If you're rich you get to go to school and so if you're poor you don't get to go. Isn't that sad?' I agreed that it was and didn't say another word. I'm guessing she's getting this info about China at school? I need to investigate more but tonight I just let her say it without asking.

Five or so minutes later, Nathan speaks up and asks, 'Mom, what about people like us. We're not rich and we're not poor. We're just in the middle so what would we do in China? Would we go to school?' I thought it was so funny/interesting that he can see at 7, that we are a middle class family. Milo's response was, 'Welcome to the middle class Nate'. Kid's wheels never, ever stop turning. Their minds are so quick and so smart. It makes me realize how important it is to fill their minds with good. They soak it all up.

When the show was almost over Kathryn said she liked watching it because it was full of fun stuff and good music. And then Nathan said (I'm quoting), 'It's like a good education.' These kids are so funny, I love it!

4. I've never had my hopes up more than now about our house selling. We've come this close one time before (2.5 years ago!) and I was extremely let down when it didn't happen. Looking back I know that the timing was all wrong then but it was still hard. I'm really praying the time is right this go round. If not, I'll get over it but I'm not going to lie. My hopes are up.

5. I haven't posted 13 times in one month since May 2007. The month I got sick pregnant with Reed. I guess a pregnancy and a baby's first year are a surefire way to kill my blogging. I hope this means, I'm back.

16 comments:

Granny DeeAnn said...

Four on Friday is always good. Facebook, blogging, my space.... I can't keep up! Do I have to come help pack? We got so much accomplished the last time. Remember Kyle needs a job! Guess I'll go sew! Ha

Carolyn said...

Funny funny kids! I used to love watching Little Einstein with them. I always swore that I would buy them all when I had kids. (And, my mom told me you hoped that your house sells. She almost cried! But, I'll remember your house in my prayers. :))

Amie said...

Unofficially counting points... that is me too. Although I really need to add in the official part!

What your house is for sale? I feel so lost... I like to think I am not a "skimmer" but somehow I missed that!

I stalk on Facebook a bit but just can't get into it... which is a good thing. I'm selfish that way... blogging is for me and my documentation, facebook doesn't do that for me. I hope you won't drop us!

Kim said...

I've been doing weight watchers for almost a month. I feel your pain! Good luck with it.

I hope your house sells. I'm guessing this menas you have had an offer on it. That's a miracle these days! What a great time to buy, if that's your plans!!!

Holly said...

Mel I will keep my fingers crossed the house sells. Keep you fingers crossed that mine does too. ( not really my house but our spec house.) I am super duper sick of 2 mortgages! I love the kids comments on the Chinese baby Einstein..so funny! They really never stop thinking. I think you are doing a great job keeping up on your blog...you always impress me how you do it all. Love you!

Marion said...

Your house is going to sell today! That's my prediction. My next prediction is your moving into 10th Ward and I'll have my family to sit with every Sunday! The kids will be able to walk/ride bikes to my house and Nathan can mow the lawn, Kathryn walk Macy, Dane...well he'll do whatever he wants to, and Reed will wear out the stairs!! Can't wait!

donna said...

I love FB. I found a few of my old mission companions. SO much fun.:)
YOU are moving? Where? Hmmm maybe to Richland? :)

Korbi said...

My fingers are crossed for the house sale! Hey, you CAN join the quilt class. People from all different wards are coming. I even have 2 nonmembers coming. We do it once a month. E-mail me if you want to do it and whne I get home I will e-mail you the "list" of supplies, or just come and watch. There are 3 girls/ladies that just came and watched. Let me know! P.S. If you couldn't tell, it was good to see you the other day!

Heather said...

I hope the house offer goes through for you guys. I wish I was as good as posting as you! I love reading about your family. Love ya!

Becky Noftle said...

Come on house, come on house. How is Milo getting around with his knee? I loved the sacrament meeting story, remind me the next time we are together and i will tell you of the strongest spirit I have ever felt in sacrament meeting, it was a similar situation.

Heidi said...

I love all the well wishes for your house to sell. We all know you have been wanting this for years now so it better work out!

Your kids' comments about China are hilarious. I love how smart they were about knowing those little facts. Smarty pants.

Lyle and Mary: said...

Dear long lost hair dresser,
See where a little blog surfing will get you? It is fun to see pic's of your cute kids and hear about your crazy life. Hope you don't mind :)
Mary

Dustin and Tara said...

Your post about Nathan made me laugh out loud. They say the funniest things, and Milo's response was pretty funny too. I love it all! I hope your house sells! Just stay in the ward boundaries:)!

Jill said...

Apparently I suffer from the snack hard times that you do only I'm way worse for it than you are!

I haven't joined Facebook, but it seems like it's just a matter of time.

michelle said...

I am dying over the conversation that took place during Little Einsteins! Your kids are hilarious.

Pregnancy and babyhood will definitely take a toll on your free time. Glad you're back!

Barb said...

Good luck with the house selling! Your kids are so fun and sweet and entertaining. I love reading about them.