I rarely get what I want out of sacrament meeting these days. Reed up and down the benches, keeping him away from the hymnals and his paper ripping obsession and of course the diaper change that he didn't do at home. I'm so glad today was different, even if it was just for a couple minutes!
We had a couple youth speakers on the program, like usual, a boy and a girl. I saw so much of myself in the girl when she spoke. She's a senior and talked about moving on and what she's leaving behind and all that lies ahead that she's looking forward to. She mentioned how each step of moving on has prepared her. Seminary, girl's camp, personal progress, young women, etc. It's so hard to believe that was me 16 years ago! A great YW!
Her 'friend' was sitting on the stand as well (he wasn't the other youth speaker) and I thought to myself, oh they must like each other so much he has to sit on the stand next to her during sacrament. OK, I thought it was a little strange to have your 'friend' on the stand and wondered why his parents said, sure go sit up there. C. is my friend's son and he made faces and smiled at the kids during sacrament (reverently that is). The most hilarious being Reed now leads the music with the chorister and I love it!
After the YW spoke, C. got up and followed the YM on the program up to the pulpit. The speaker is slow and very learning disabled (something I didn't know beforehand and hope that's even half way politically correct to say) and C. read every few words into his ears and he would repeat them into the microphone. It only took a few phrases for my tears to start. I felt the spirit so strong (meaning lots of tears). And it simply told me that I wanted to raise 'that kind of kid'. The kind that helped others with unabash, the kind that are Christlike at almost 18 years old when the world wants you to 'be cool', the kind that will be able to stand strong. I looked at Milo and he just gave me a nod, knowing what I was thinking. I want that for Kat and the boys, for them to fit into that category. It was just short of a miracle that Reed was good through his whole talk and while I couldn't understand much of what was said, to me, it was a powerful talk.
I wanted to remember just how I felt so I took Dane's notebook and started this post. Milo said it's because I have a problem but really I knew I'd forget how strong the spirit was. I only wrote about half of this and then diaper duty called. His timing is all off!
Anyway, I'm really grateful for today. I'm grateful for K's talk and what she reminded me of in my own life. I'm grateful for the chance I had to see C. be so Christlike and teach me a lesson at the same time. One of my goals this year is to record the Hand of the Lord in my life like Elder Eyring talks about here, in one of my favorite conference talks.
Today was just a good day. And we had some sunshine. Finally!
18 comments:
Oh Melanie...it transposed perfectly over the computer. Thank you for writing it while it was fresh. "Those kind of kids"--what a great title.
whoo hoo! Qish I could have been there, but I do love moments like it. It makes me so happy that there are still good kids out there... :)
Did Jane seriously comment at 4:21 AM???
That sounded like a great sacrament meeting today. I too, want to raise those kind of kids. It seems like too many kids are not like that these days. Oh, and hooray for you, for actually getting something out of church, because just yesterday I was thinking to myself, "why do I even bother?" as Chloe was crying out in the hall.
I am so proud of C. I cried when I read my mom's post, and I cried again. What a good boy he is.
Also, that was an okay way to put it. (Since I learn about stuff like this all the time...you could have said he had severe learning disabilities. :) But, you were fine too!)
Thanks Mel. You made me cry. I knew how touched I was....but it meant even more knowing that others were touched as well.
Isn't it wonderful when you see a random act of kindness in those so young? You know that they'll be great big people! You made me tear up just reading about it. I need to take President Eyring's challenge! Another "TO DO" to add to the list! You're wonderful!
Thanks for making me cry. That was wonderful. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing that you felt his Spirit through his talk even though you didn't understand much of what he said!
THat is such an awesome story. You got me tearing up and I don't even know these people! I know exactly how you felt, being proud of someone elses kid and hoping with everything that you can somehow pass some of that awesomeness on to your children. What a great moment!
Just what I needed. More tears! Thanks Mel! I love meetings like that...and I'm so glad your sacrament meetings are going to get easier by the week! Thanks for writing it down and sharing it with us!
wow thanks for sharing this post with us. What a wonderful Sunday you all had.
We do have some great Youth in our church.
That is a beautiful story, I didn't see what was to come when I started in on this post. Lovely.
Realized when I got home - told you my dad story twice! I guess I was pretty upset about it!! Anyway, you are such a great person! K was nervous to give ANOTHER talk! She always does great and makes me cry! Just because - sometimes your kids show you a glimpse of their future and what they are becoming! C - did wonderful also! His mom should be very proud! K thinks he is also great!! :) Lisa
I'm glad you wrote things down while you were feeling them. I really want my kids to be "those kind of kids" too!
Wow...what an incredible day. Those are exactly the "kinds of kids" I want to raise too!!
Thanks for posting this...and like you, I am glad you wrote it down!
I don't know these people but it still made me want to cry. Must be the hormones.
I want that for my kids so bad it hurts. I am so glad you shared!
I realized I couldn't remember commenting about this, I read it on Monday or something like that.
That was so sweet! I hope I can raise kids like that too. It scares me to have all the pressure sometimes!!
Post a Comment