Friday, March 13, 2009

Five for Friday

1. Last night was Nathan's first soccer game. Nate has games on Thursdays while Dane is practicing, Dane has games on Tuesdays while Nate is practicing. Thank heavens they are across the parking lot from each other or I might have a freak out. I have NO idea how my sister Jill has managed all these years with 4 kids playing soccer all over the place (in Seattle no less), multiple teams, coaching...she's amazing!

He was so excited to see an old teammate on the opposing team, he kept forgetting to play soccer and just want to play with/talk to Keenan. He's also constantly keeping track of all the goals made by each team. Such good track, he forgets to get near the ball, he's just watching if it makes it in the goal. A soccer work in progress!

2. Reed has been sick this week. Poor boy. I took him to the Dr. on Wed because his cough started to sound just like a barking seal. We came away with 2 Rx's, one for an ear infection and one to help the lungs with that barking/wheezing cough. He's much better with 2 days of medicine under his belt but he's still pretty clingy. He wants a snack, then doesn't. Reaches for a drink then pushes it away. And has a constant whine when he looks at me, pleading with me to make him feel better. Today he wanted nothing to do with lunch, he wouldn't even sit in his highchair without screaming. I gave up and let him go watch TV. Don't judge me, it was a kid's show!

I was cleaning up the kitchen when he came in and went over to his highchair, reached up and grabbed 1/4 of his sandwich, went back to the living room and sat down to eat his lunch. It was so funny, apparently he just wanted some TV time while eating his lunch? We never do this so I think it's hilarious he just sauntered back in with his food, like it was time to chill out and eat . You can so tell he's #4 because I let him eat it, right there in the living room so that he would at least have some food for lunch.

3. Tonight we Redboxed a DVD with 5 episodes of the old Mario Brothers cartoon. The kids were in heaven because it wasn't something they have ever seen and they still have their MarioKart obsession so they know the names of half the characters. Milo was a bit distracted to as he sat and watched 3 of the episodes, reminicing the days of his youth, ha!

4. I just finished reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and loved it. It took me a little bit to really get into it but once I did, I couldn't put it down. Yesterday, I read until I finished it (I'm afraid to really add up how long that was!). I hate finishing a good book. I don't want it to end, I keep thinking about the characters after I finish it and I'm always leary about starting a new one, sizing up if I'm going to like it as much as the good one I just finished. I sent for 4 books from the library and one is already on it's way. I love our small town USA mail order book system, I don't even have to go to our stinky library to pick the book up, they send it to me free and I return it to them free. What a deal!

I've kept up with reading and searching for good books since I joined GoodReads, I love it. I am terrible at remembering titles of books I want to read so I love this feature! If you've read one of these, pick which one I should read first....

~Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas
~A Sweetness to the Soul by Jane Kirpatrick (recommended by Grammie)
~Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (recommended by Nicole)
~The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman (the first book on it's way)

5. Today marks one month since Milo lost his job. I can't believe how fast one month can go! In a blink, really. He had an interview the first of the week and we're still waiting to hear. They said they would call either way, we're hoping to hear something Monday. We've both prayed that if it's not right, we'll know it and not be broken hearted, easier said than done, I'm sure. I felt so much peace in the beginning, knowing that this was going to be a good thing for our family. I still know that but in the past week or so, I've gotten a little more bitter. I know who that comes from and I'm working on it. Milo keeps a much better perspective than I do and for that I'm really grateful. Stay tuned.

12 comments:

Holly said...

I always eat my lunch in front of the t.v. I think Reed is going to be really smart! You always have a good perspective Mel..don't kid yourself. I am amazed at how positive you have stayed. We are praying hard it works out SOON! Love you!

Melinda said...

I hope Reed feels better. I hate having sick babies. It is the worst. I let Ryan eat way more around the house than I ever did with the others.

Becky Noftle said...

WE(and by we I mean me--I'm the glue around here people, honestly they would be naked people digging through garbages without me) are tuned in for sure!!

donna said...

I also read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. OH i need to update good read! I keep forget to do that.

becca said...

Oh, Reed is so cute! Brody gets away with so much more than my girls ever did! :) oh well, right?!

I read a Tree Grows in Brooklyn a long long time ago, but I do remember that I loved it.

I think you have a great attitude with everything that is going on. I can't believe it has already been a month!

Heidi said...

That is hilarious how Reed grabbed his sandwich to sit in front of the TV. I'm way more lax with tv watching when they are sick.

That DVD would have been "interesting". HA! I'm glad the kids liked it (oh yeah, Milo too. :))

I always love a good book so I'll have to keep those books in mind.

Brenda said...

So...if I let my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd eat in front of the T.V. what will I let the 4th get away with? Kind of makes me want to shudder. And does anyone else think that Becky isn't so much the glue holding the family together as she is the person sniffing all the family glue? Ya'll are in our prayers.

Korbi said...

I know what you mean about hating to finish a good book it's like, "so now what?"

Lyle and Mary: said...

Wow you've got a lot on your plate.
I'm glad you can escape occasionaly with a good read. I have read Persian Pickle Club, but not the others. I bought A Tree Grows In Brooklyn a year ago & haven't read it yet, guess I better go dust it off and open it up. Hang in there with the unemployement problems, the right job will come along.
There are alot of college grad's from the U.S. that come here to work for a year or two teaching English (degree in English not required) if all else fails!!

Amie said...

I love Five for Fridays, they make me feel like I know what is going on.... ha.

I haven't read that book yet but it sounds like I should.

One month down! If we have to do our time unemployed at least some of it is behind you now. I hope you got good job news today!!! I will be praying for you... and having sympathy pangs.

jenny said...

Poor little Reed. I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys!

Chad and Jaycie said...

Hey I'm reading that same book! I'm only like on page 80 and it's definately gettin better the more I get into it.
I hope you guys get the job! I saw Milo at dance and he said you guys were outta here if not....I would be upset!