Tuesday, March 31, 2009

W.I.N.D.

The four letter word that describes our first couple days of spring break. The worst thing about the past couple days is the wind. It's annoying, I really hate wind. I shouldn't complain, it could be worse, some people are complaining of snow (no thank you!). I know I'm not alone in my wants. I. want. the. sun (minus the cold WIND). End of story!

Today for a quick outing I took the big kids to The Dollar Tree while Milo stayed home as Reed took a nap. I told them they had a couple dollars each to spend on whatever they wanted. Oh the choices at that crazy store. The boys found this David Beckham electronic soccer game and Kat has moved on from the toy isle, she bought a journal and a blinging silver purse to hold it. Our plan was to head to Walmart after that and get a few groceries but the boys wanted to go home and play their games so we dropped them off and the girls went to the store. It was so nice. The boys are hardly ever good there, they always end up running the isles.

When I was putting groceries away, I asked the boys if they liked the games they bought. They said they were 'awesome' and 'sweet' and that if they got grounded from the Wii again (and I'm sure they will) it wouldn't matter because they had a cool new electronic game they could play anywhere they went. It would even fit in their pocket. What??! We didn't need to spend all that money on the Wii? Next Christmas we're shopping at The Dollar Tree, ha!

Dane had another soccer game tonight (he's the one that just threw the ball back in). With the crazy wind we had it was freezing outside. Marion and I braved it along with a couple different kids running back and forth to the van (Nate and Kat). Milo sat in the van with Reed and watched Curious George. He definitely had the warmer job! We had gritty teeth from the construction site next to the field, watery eyes and freezing cold hands. (When will we ever have green grass again?!)

Once Nate went back to the van Kathryn joined us but it was only at our feet. She stayed curled up under Marion's blanket and once when I moved my foot she let me know I was letting the wind in. It was funny, this one curl was whipping around outside her hood.

I thought I'd try a self portrait with my crazy wind hair but I had the close up lens on so this was what I got the first couple attempts.

Another attempt, proving that hairspray doesn't work real well in winds this strong!

I handed the camera over to Kat and told her to take one of Marion and I. She got our heads and hair but I thought she could do a little better and maybe take one shoulder up. (Thanks for blocking most of my wind Marion..... don't kill me for posting this photo. I think she's knows where they're going to end up when they're taken but still...) So I gave the camera back to Kat and told her get some of our body in the picture. She takes direction really well and got our bodies in the photo but cut off most of our heads (not my best side if you know what I mean). SO, this is a much, much better shot! Thanks Kat!

I actually needed a video here to show her crazy hair blowing all over the place. She was a good sport and got out from underneath the blanket and 'posed' in the cold wind. Thanks girl.

I'm excited for tomorrow. Milo and I are headed to the temple, yeah. It's been far too long since we've been able to enjoy the quiet peace there. Not to mention all the time in the car down there to talk without interruption. And lunch. And the drive home. I've been giddy all day looking forward to it. The kids are going to live it up with my cousin's kids, cry and scream when we pick them up and possibly ask to live there the rest of their lives. They love, love going to her house so I know they'll be in good hands. The only warning.... Reed, watch out for Zoe (she's a sweet, baby loving 6 yr old that isn't going to leave you alone!).

14 comments:

Holly said...

I love your posts Mel. Somehow I never find things to blog about. You are so great at taking the routine daily life events and making a great blog out of them. Have a fabulous time at the temple...you are right the kids will have great time at the cousins, it is my kids' favorite place to go!!

The Gang said...

I'm with ya with the get to summer ALREADY! Not a big fan of the cold or wind. Although if it were warm I wouldn't mind the wind so much. Just wanted to say love the second self portrait. It's cute. I hope you enjoy the temple! I would be looking forward to the kidless trip too!

becca said...

The wind can drive me crazy too! I am sorry you have not had the best weather this Spring break! What a bummer!

And horray for dollar stores! It is amazing how happy a kid can be with a $1 toy! ;)

So glad you get a kid free day (and at the temple no less ! :)

Becky Noftle said...

It is 9:58 so barely over one hour and they have played, outside, inside, wii, dinosaurs, tractors, and cars. Oh and Reed is carrying around a lightsaber that is slightly bigger than him. And the two boxes of donuts----gone!! And if you think Reed is fast enough to elude Zoe, you are sadly mistaken. She doesn't look like she is built for speed but when those motherly instincts of hers kick in she could outrun a cheetah.

Amie said...

We are very familiar with wind around here.... your pictures are great and hopefully made the time in the wind pass faster.

Heather said...

I HATE wind! I LOATHE wind. Spring soccer is so miserable because of the wind. Hope you had a great time at the temple. I talked to Becky this morning- and it was so loud in the background I could barely hear her! (it was good loud- laughing, playing, basketball, etc...) We need to get together when Holly and I get in town! We'll be there the 9th- 15th. Miss you guys.

Melinda said...

I am so glad you can get to the temple. That will be nice to have all of that alone time in the car to talk. I love when we can do that.

I went to the dollar store to get all of the kids Easter stuff. I didn't want to spend much money and get very many things especially candy. It was perfect.

Shellie said...

I cannot stand wind. I would rather have rain or snow or sleet or anything else terrible. It just makes you feel so violated. I do love the wind pics, though!

Jake, Ashlee, and Jaxon Gardner said...

We can relate to the wind here too! The Spring weather looks nice from indoors, but as soon as you go outside, ya just might get blown away!!! It's always great to be alone with your hubby, I know that I have only one baby, but I definately took the time we had alone for granted!

Did you get my email I sent you on facebook? I'd like to know if it's good or not!!!

Heidi said...

I hope you had a great time at the temple. I'm sure the kids didn't want to come home after Becky's house. :) Her comment cracked me up.

I like the wind pictures with the trees in the background all bent over from the wind. Gross. I'm sorry you have to endure games like that. Not fun. At least you have company at the freezing/windy games!

Brenda said...

The temple? It's been so long! I'm so glad you took advantage of Becky and her well stocked casa. I'm sure you made Zoe's day;)

Shaila Lou said...

Wind is gross, most definitely. Snow is more gross along with the rain, sleet, hail and anything else you can think of that we've been enjoying here in good ol' Pullman.

Hope you've had a good time at the temple. I'm glad you were finally able to go. Much needed for you!

Barb said...

Do I have the youtube clip for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mTLO2F_ERY&eurl=http://emilystyle.blogspot.com/

donna said...

the wind is so bad here. I always have wind hair, that is why i wear baseball caps all the time.
Glad you were able to go to the Temple. The next time you are in town, come see me.