Sunday, April 05, 2009

Poor Baby

We had such a good day at the temple on Wednesday. I'm kicking myself for not blogging that night because it was a great, uplifting day. The kids had a blast at Becky's house. Zoe did get the best of Reed though, Becky said he would whimper if he saw her walk into the room. Poor girl loves babies that much. I have a post in draft form I need to finish with the cutest photo. When we got there, Reed was playing Rockband with the guitar hanging around his neck and he was singing into the microphone. It was adorable! I've let the past couple days get the best of me and haven't blogged much at all in an attempt to not whine or be negative. Not in writing anyway, in real life it's another story. In short, I'm ready for a routine and the kids getting back to school tomorrow is the perfect start!

Now for the sad news.....

{Look at that chub. He was only 23 lbs at 1 but today weighed in at almost 26 lbs, 3 months later. It's a little exaggerated here with him slouching. I love his squishy tummy!}

Little Buddy broke his arm, in two places no less! Thankfully, the Dr said they weren't bad breaks. I have no idea when (makes me feel awful) or how (just as bad of a feeling). I noticed on Friday that he didn't like me putting his left arm in the carseat but he's generally not been himself for a week or more as he's been cutting his bottom molars so I didn't think too much about it. Friday night when Milo was getting him dressed in pajamas, he mentioned crying over the left arm. We both looked it over and couldn't decide if it was swollen or not. Yesterday afternoon, I did think it was puffier near his wrist. But he kept using it and sucking his thumb so I kept second guessing my gut. Never a good thing. Why wont I learn!

So today after the second session of conference I took him up to the walk in. He was really good, I had some fruit snacks stuffed in my purse so he had a yummy distraction. They had to take quite a few x-rays because he kept moving (crying, screaming). They put this splint on him until we see the doctor, hopefully tomorrow or Tues. He gave up trying to pull it off and started chewing the blue foam. I feel bad since it's the thumb he sucks. Once we got home he just took his blanket and rubbed it on his face. So sad.

He loves Finding Nemo right now. Last week or so, he was being really cranky and I put that movie on just because I knew the other boys liked it and thought he might too. He loves it. He'll go find the case and bring it to me and then point to the TV over and over and whine until I turn it on or find another distraction. I'm back to quoting it again (it was Nathan's first over and over movie too), I think I love this movie as much as they do. Milo had turned it on as soon as we got home and he plopped right down and would hardly look at me. Thanks Nemo! So we'll see what tomorrow brings and if he gets a cast and for how long. Always something, right?

18 comments:

Anna said...

I could tell you knew yesterday that you needed to take him, I wish I wouldve pushed you more to follow your gut! Im so sorry for you guys and Reed. The worst is not having a cool story to tell, but he does look cute in it!

Carolyn said...

Poor little baby! (That isn't such a baby anymore, what a big boy!) I hope he gets back to running around in no time.

Korbi said...

Oh your poor little baby boy! Argh, the sadness, I am so sorry Melanie and I hope that he gets a cool colored cast!

The Gang said...

I agree, so sad! I'm sure everytime you think about it or look at him it makes your heart hurt but don't beat yourself up to much he is obviously one tough kid! And it will make a funny story one day . :)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

OH NO! I can't believe it. A broken arm? Two places? I thought he had enough insulation to protect him from breaks.

Hang in there Melanie. Hang in there.

Amy said...

Oh, poor little guy! Don't be too hard on yourself! It happens, especially when you didn't see the accident occur. How could you have even suspected that he'd have a broken arm? I hope all goes well with the doctor. When Alex broke his wrist last year he didn't even have to have a cast. They let me keep it in the splint. It was the greatest. I could take it off for baths. Of course he didn't have breaks in two places! Good grief! Good luck to you as the mommy, too. It's never nice to have a kid in pain!

Leisha said...

That is so sad! I'm so out of the loop over here, I had no idea! Poor Reed, can't suck his finger. Don't worry he wont remember a thing. Apparently I broke my elbow when I was his age and Mom didn't do anything about it for a couple days as well. But I don't remember a thing...or do I? ( I think I feel a little pain in my elbow Mom…)
Love you guys! Give that baby some love for us.

donna said...

poor Reed!
Going to the Temple is alwasy so uplifting!
Enjoy the sun and the warm days that we are having!

Barb said...

Poor baby, to have a hurt arm and to have his comforting thumb taken away at the same time!

Chandra said...

The pictures of Reed are precious. Poor little guy. I'm with Jane....I pack that kid around....he has lots of insulation. Get better quick Reed.

Holly said...

What a little cutie! He looks like he is milking the situation with his little sad face...as we all would be! Babies heal so fast...he will be good as new in no time! Hang in there..you are constantly in our prayers.

Cara said...

I'm so sorry, Melanie! I hope he gets better soon. He is such a cute little button! I love his litle tummy!

Brenda said...

I don't know what is more sad. The fact that he has a broken arm or the fact that he can't suck his regular thumb. As a former thumb sucker myself, I can feel his loss! Give him kisses!

Angie said...

he just looks so miserable in those pictures

becca said...

Oh Melanie! Poor Reed! I can't believe it! I am so glad you took him in, but sheesh...what a tough little guy! And don't feel bad....Chelsey broke her leg when she was on and the Dr. even missed it (x-rayed the wrong spot) because it is so tough to see where they are hurting if they can't tell you. Good lesson to listen to the "mom gut" :)

I am glad you had an uplifting day at the temple

Shaila Lou said...

Ah, poor baby. I love the slumped over look though, he's so cute. Nemo is the first movie Malcolm ever watched and we still love it. I wonder if Winston would slow down for two seconds if I put it in.

Heidi said...

When I was in the hospital for my toe, they had the IV in the arm/hand that I sucked my fingers on. It was not good (according to my Mom). I'm hoping Reed heals super fast. I'm sure all the kids want to sign the cast already.

Dustin and Tara said...

I love rolls on babies. Those are adorable pictures of him! Having that cast makes him look so much older!