Friday, May 01, 2009

Five for Friday

1. Nathan has been waiting and waiting to lose his first tooth. Typically the bottom teeth fall out first but because he has 'funky fused baby teeth' they haven't budged. A week or so ago he came to me and told me his front tooth was loose. It barely moved but he begged me to try and pull it out. Of course it wouldn't come out but that didn't stop him. He's been wiggling that tooth for a week trying to speed up the process. Monday night he had gotten it loose enough to bleed but it still wouldn't come out. I knew he'd never look the same again (I remember what I looked like with my new teeth and it definitely wasn't pretty) and I said he couldn't pull it out without one, last two teeth photo. I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy for being a little sad over him losing his teeth.

He played with it all the next day at school and was determined to get it pulled out. It shocked him when I pulled it out. His eyes were as big as saucers as he ran to the mirror and said, 'I look so cute!' We were dying laughing.

2. Dane is registered for kindergarten. I can't believe it's already time to start thinking about the fall. Our school gives an assessment test so the classes can be evenly balanced with needs. He aced it. I'm sure many other kids did too, I know he's not in a class by himself, I'm just really proud of him. When we were walking out, I told him he did a good job. He said, 'I know. The teacher told me I could go to 5th grade'. Not quite. If we end up moving from here (who knows at this point), I'll be a little letdown. This school is all day, every day kinder and with him turning 6 in September, he's ready for it.

3. Reed is cast free! We went in yesterday for the cast to be taken off. He did so good, didn't even cry. He was annoyed but didn't cry or scream. The bones look good and there is evidence for good healing. Yeah! He kept poking at his arm and moving it around at the elbow. It's been on for almost a month so I'm sure it feels funny. He had a funny walk balancing with it on his arm and with it off, he's a wobbler again. No falls or breaks please Reed.

After dinner we went to the park to celebrate. He was so happy to be there running all around. He is one busy boy and loved the swings, slides and the bridge. He went right to sleep at bedtime and even slept in this morning. We might just make the park a nightly ritual, ha. So far no thumb sucking for him. I want him to get back to it so he sleeps in a little later in the morning, his early rise time is killing me. But if he doesn't, oh well. We've still got Dane to break of that habit, I guess we don't need two.

4. Kathryn has been turning into a big helper with housework. She loves to sweep the floor and mop up spills, she'll fold towels, clean the bathroom (but tells me she saves the toilet for last because it's gross), anything that requires a cleaning solution or broom and she's on it. So nice. Especially because the boys could care less if the food were ever cleaned up off the floor. It's up the Kat and I!

5. I'm stretching it on finding a 5 for today's post. It could be about me doing more hair and getting back into balancing that again. Or about how Reed was sick at the beginning of this week with pneumonia (he's feeling much better now). Or how I've been worried Preston or Kate would catching what he had after being over there this past weekend. I offered up all sorts of free haircuts and colors if the kids did get sick. Heidi called yesterday, ready to cash in on their free appointments. Preston's sick now. Sorry guys! Or I could blog about how I can't believe it's May! Almost 1/2 way through 2009. Unbelievable.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

I can't believe I'm the first commenter!!!

Why are kids so excited to lose their teeth? It's so funny. I'm glad he wiggled it loose. :)

I'm amazed Reed isn't sucking his thumb. That is good, but he better sleep better for you. Ugghh on early mornings.

Poor Kathryn- she has to deal with sharing a toilet with boys. I don't blame her for not wanting to clean it. ha!

Lucy said...

After watching my oldest's big, huge, enormous adult front teeth come in, I think I'll mourn when my middle boy loses his. It does change their face. How funny that Nathan was so excited. I'm so glad that I don't lose teeth. I don't think I'd have the patience to wiggle it back and forth for a week, then wait months for another tooth to grow in its place. Someone was definitely thinking ahead to have that happen during those early years.

Yay for Dane going to kindergarten. We have loved all-day kindergarten here. I worried at first that it would be too big a transition, but Sam has thrived.

I'm glad Reed is free to move about again:)

I need a Kat. My boys are all messy. Not a neatnik or organized one among the bunch. And I was so hoping one of them would be to teach me how!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"It's up to the Kat and I" --what a funny line.

I love hearing your catch-ups. Reed is such a little boy. He made the transition so definitely.

I do hope a job around here opens up soon.

Brenda said...

I think Nathen looks cute too, but it's all about the cash for those guys isn't it?

Shaila Lou said...

I remember being just like Nathan constantly wiggling my teeth out. Yay for Reed being cast free. Winston has that same shirt. Are you surprised,Cynthia bought it at the only store in town. I'm sad to have a kindergartener, I want him little forever. Poor Kathryn, although I was the same as a little girl, always wanting to clean and help.

jenny said...

Your boys are so dang cute! I am not ready for Luke's teeth to fall out and go into the "Big" stage. It's hard to believe I am knocking on that door as well.

donna said...

So how many teeth has Nathan lost? Ian just lost his first tooth last month. ( Ian will be 8 in Oct)

I didn't know they had all day kindergarten in ML. Emily went to all day kindergarten, while we lived in Oklahoma.
So how is the job hunting going?

Becky Noftle said...

Do you hire Kat out? I won't make her do the toilets. Props on the tooth Nathan dude.