Remember our crazy, wind filled camping trip last fall? We decided to brave it again over the 4th. Marion reserved a couple sites at Ensign Ranch for those that could make it and since we're not much of a traveling family this summer, we made camping part of our 4th. I love going to Ensign, it is so gorgeous and green up there. They have canoeing, slip and sliding, rope swinging, fishing, horse riding, rope swinging and more I'm sure I've forgotten. We took the kids bikes, much to Milo's chagrin, and it turned out to be a really good thing. It was so worth it to lug up the bikes, the kids rode them all day. They went from one thing to the next all day, each day we were there. I didn't take nearly enough photos of the fun either. Good thing we're going back in a couple weeks with my side of the family. Not sure if that makes us people ready for more fun or just plain crazy?! Probably both.I had a big revelation this go round when it comes to me and camping. It's not the actual camping I loathe, it's the preparation. The getting packed, not forgetting anything essential, the loading of the car that sends me into a fit of tears (among other unflattering characteristics!). This time was no different and as we drove away from the gas station, it took me a bit to pull myself together. I'm so glad I did because it was a great, great weekend.
It stays light here very late in the summer. So the roasting of marshmallows and sitting around the campfire for the kids usually happens before it's gotten dark but they don't care. This was taken at 9pm without flash. And that's about my limit of letting them stay up too, I'm so mean. This go round they were so busy with activities, they ended up asking to go to bed right after this. That's a request I'm happy to grant!
We borrowed this high chair from Shaila and it was a lifesaver to tie Reed down. I love his funny face here. He was so much better than I thought he was going to be. Who's crazy enough to camp with an 18 month old? Us, apparently. He loved being pushed in the stroller by anyone but Mason (3 yr old cousin), was in heaven going down the redneck waterslide (I'll get photos when we go back in a couple weeks), he slept all night and took long naps both days and he was in dirty heaven! He's such a good boy and is at such a fun, fun age.
These guys played so good together. They were under this big tree picking grass and flowers and were only interrupted by me wanting to take a few photos. I love my cousins and I know my kids do too.
Jayni requested a photo with a flower in her hair. This is a rare moment when these guys were clean.I'm totally kicking myself for not taking a photo of the huge pile of laundry we had once the bags were unpacked. Beach towels for each of us, all of our pillowcases, blankets, all of our shoes, tons of clothes and at least one sleeping bag. 10 loads of filthy, campfire smelling, dirt filled stuff. And it was only 2 days worth! It felt so good to get it all done and to have everyone crash into bed clean!
I'm also kicking myself for not being in a single photo. Seriously, how lame is that? I knew I was doing it too. Hiding behind the lens (and the unemployment weight gain) is so sad. Are my kids really going to care about that or would they rather see me with a smile on my face, knowing I had fun with them? I know the answer and I'm really going to work on it when we go back. It's going to be tough, I hate feeling selfconscience. Not saying they'll be posted, just that they'll be taken.
In other quick news, we no longer have Cast Boy. Yahoo, the cast is off!! More on that later.
12 comments:
Hooray for the cast being off!
There's nothing better than busy, tired kids who want to go to bed!
You're a fun mom, Melanie, to go through all the work of prep and clean-up afterwards to make the camping happen.
I totally agree with you about camping... I never want to do it but am always so glad we did... the kids do love it... which makes me love it.
We have learned the bikes are an essential too. It is so nice for them to have something to do on their own.
I love Ensign Ranch! We haven't been in a couple of years (at least during the summer)- and I totally miss it. Glad you braved the misery of preparation to make the fun memories for your family. Miss you guys :)
I better get busy and pack. Yeah play in the dirt!! No I don't have water shoes yet! Tomorrow.......... :)
We went camping last weekend and I totally share your feelings on the prep work and clean up. We stuffed our car full coming and going (somehow I thought there'd be less on the way home) and then I was left with like 7 loads of laundry to get all the camp fire smell out of everything. Sheesh!
the slip and slide at Ensign is so much fun!
Glad you all had a great time.:)
OH our camp was next to the rope swing.
Melanie, your photography is so beautiful in this post and, yes, not having you in a single shot is tragedy, pure tragedy! Please don't be self-conscious. None of us have a body that we're perfectly happy with and in the big picture it doesn't matter...and that's what you want big pictures for your kids :)
That picture of Jayni is super cute! All the kids by the fire looks so fun.
Reed doesn't sleep that good at home, does he??? Maybe you should camp all the time. ha ha!
I loathe preparation for camping so we'll see how things go next weekend. Bikes are a good idea. We'll have to bring Kate's.
I love Ensign too! We're going during Christmas this year and I'm so excited! I love camping, but the prep is sort of stressful:) And when your water breaks right after you get the tent set up, you kind of want to cry that you ever made the effort at all...glad you had such a great time! And put yourself in front of the lens lady!
Oh, Reed...loving seeing his teeth.
The picture of Jayni turned out so cute! Great job!!
I had so much fun camping and being with you guys and staying up a little later talking with you, Milo and Tom. Great fun and great memories!!
I was so sad to miss out on this! Sounds like so much fun, especially since we haven't had one camping trip! I love camping at least once during the summer.
Such a cute picture of Jayni!
Post a Comment