I stayed home from church with Reed today. I doubt he's contagious but the barking cough and raspy voice aren't too welcome in nursery. Milo and I both teach Sunday School so there isn't any chance of flip flopping with our callings. Thankfully a mother of a girl in my class taught on very late notice (I was hoping he'd be better this morning). It was such a good lesson today too. I'm teaching the 12-13 yr olds and the lesson manual is The Presidents of the Church. A couple lessons are dedicated to each prophet and detail his life, his teachings and his testimony. I love it because it's not your typical, over their head lessons. Most of the time, they listen! Today we were set to start studying Harold B. Lee.
I love a couple of the stories this lesson shares and feel like I'm missing a great lesson to teach my class. So instead of teaching, I'm posting. That counts, right?
*****“ ‘There was a severe thunderstorm raging near the mountain where our home was located. Our family, consisting of my grandmother, my mother, and two or three of the younger children, were seated in the kitchen before an open door, watching the great display of nature’s fireworks. A flash of chain lightning followed by an immediate loud clap of thunder indicated that the lightning had struck very close.
“ ‘I was playing back and forth in the doorway when suddenly and without warning, my mother gave me a vigorous push that sent me sprawling backwards out of the doorway. At that instant, a bolt of lightning came down the chimney of the kitchen stove, out through the kitchen’s open doorway, and split a huge gash from top to bottom in a large tree immediately in front of the house. Had it not been for Mother’s intuitive action, and if I had remained in the door opening, I wouldn’t be writing this story today.
“ ‘My mother could never explain her split-second decision. All I know is that my life was spared because of her impulsive, intuitive nature.
“ ‘Years later, when I saw the deep scar on that large tree at the old family home, I could only say from a grateful heart, “Thank the Lord for that precious gift possessed in abundant measure by my own mother and by many of the faithful mothers, through whom heaven can be very near in time of need” ’ ” (L. Brent Goates, Harold B. Lee, Prophet and Seer [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1985], p. 41).****
I know I don't always 'let the Spirit guide' me and yet, I know it's what helps me most. Especially as a mother. I'm a constant work in progress but I do know I want to be living in a way that I can protect my kids in a split second with the Spirit's help.
And the lesson closes with this story and his testimony. He felt this was relevant in his day and he died in 1973. It's still so relevant now.
****Just before his death, President Lee was attending his home ward fast and testimony meeting. “Just prior to the close of the meeting, President Lee’s familiar voice came from the back of the chapel, asking permission … [to address his ward].
“ ‘Brothers and Sisters, beloved friends and neighbors, members of my ward family, and those in my own little flock over whom I have stewardship: I’m sorry to disturb you, but I know that it would be disturbing to my Father in Heaven if I don’t say something to you at this time.
“ ‘By way of testimony I want you to know that I know that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ and our Redeemer, and he is at the head of this Church; I am not. I know that he operates in all the affairs of this church and I say this by way of testimony that you may know that I know he lives.’ … After a long pause. …
“ ‘I say this to you by way of a serious warning, that I also know that the adversary lives and operates in the affairs of man. And he is determined to cause a downfall of men. If he can’t get to us, he will try to get to those closest to us, for he is in a mighty battle with the work of the Savior. And I must tell you these words of warning. So keep close to the Lord. Don’t be discouraged. The Lord will take care of his own. If you are prepared, you need not fear, if you are on the Lord’s side’ ” (L. Brent Goates, Harold B. Lee, Prophet and Seer, p. 564).****
This is such a great lesson and one I would have loved to teach my kids. I know Satan is on constant watch to bring us down, he stops at nothing to bring our marriages down and tear our families apart. To lead us further away from the gospel and away from the Lord's side. I'm so grateful for prophets that share their testimonies and warn us of the dangers that will come our way. But with that warning comes a promise that if we are prepared, we need not fear because the Lord will take care of us.
Off to cook dinner for the rest of the family being uplifted at church.
8 comments:
thanks for sharing your Sunday lessons with us! I am too very thank for the Prophets! and i excited t o hear President Thomas S. Monson speak to us soon.
Oh, oh, those are good Melanie. I'm so glad you took the time to post them for the rest of us. Consider your teaching done, maybe not to the group you intended but done any way. I appreciate what you taught me today.
Although I love being Primary secretary, I miss hearing great stories like that, and being uplifted. Not that wandering the halls for 2hrs isn't great, but I learned more from your "lesson" just now than I have in months at church. (Not counting sacrament meeting, of course.) Thanks Mel. That was perfect!
Melanie,
Thank you for posting those. I devoured them. It made me go look and see if he had a church commissioned biography... I remember loving listening to President Hinckley’s biography and I’m excited for President Monson’s to come out. Thanks again for posting those. What did you decide on the turtle? Too much work? I'm worried I made them sound like they were a lot of work. They really aren't. They're just not cuddly.
It's all so true! What a good way to get the lesson you wanted to teach taught to us that wouldn't have normally heard it. Yes, as mother's we want to protect our children from everything that would bring them sadness and hurt. It's up to us to live worthy of the spirit to guide our children through inspiration. Even when they're older and no longer living at home, I know that's still our calling. Thanks for the food for thought!
Good idea posting your lesson. I loved those stories. I had to teach YW on Sunday and it was scary, but in the end it was fine. I was more nervous than I was in primary. eeks! I haven't taught young women before.
We have been dealing with the same stuff over here with Ryan. We are still trying to get over the cough two weeks after having croup. Ahh, will it ever end?
Loved the sunday lessons, very timely for me.
Post a Comment