Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wrapping up September

September ends around here with Reed and I sick with stupid colds. Coughing, stuffy nose, sneezing like crazy. Thankfully, this evening I feel quite a bit better than I did this morning. I can't remember the last cold I had. When I lay down to 'sleep' my head feels like it doubles in size and of course, my nose stops working all together. Ugh! Nyquil took me away last night and I woke up in a much better mood. I'm thinking Nyquil again tonight and hopefully health retored tomorrow.

Dane was asking me how to spell 'dog's brain' one day a week or so ago. I had no idea what he was up to but kept yelling out the letters. You just never know what you're going to get with this kid. This is what he brings me.....

I about died! He drew a 'dog's brain' after all. He explained what each part of the brain was for. On the right we have sections for hearing, tasting, seeing, smelling. And on the left we have two lines in a bigger section. The thin line is when the dog barks 'quietly' and the dark, thick line is when the dog barks 'loud and crazy'. I can't remember what the circle is at the back of the brain right now but it did something too. I was going to label it but I couldn't bring myself to mess with this hilarious piece of art. I can't decide what I like best, the pointy ears in the middle of hte letters, the scribbled up nose, the profile teeth or the snout. I guess that means I really love it all and I do! I shouldn't be surprised by what Dane says, draws or does because he's always coming up with something interesting and outside of the box but I am. He's one funny kid. (Pretty sure he got this idea from Martha Speaks, a new show on PBS about a talking dog that ate alphabet soup. They show her brain in the credits. Still, pretty creative don't you think?)

It's been 10 days since my last post so I should have more to say but it all feels so boring. We've been to soccer, soccer and more soccer. Every week and weekend. It's not too bad, but all the practices and games are on the same days and often at the same times. That and chasing an almost 2 yr old (sniff) are what about does me in. I'm secretly excited that we're half way done with the season. So bad, I know.

I've canned salsa a couple times and a batch of diced tomatoes. Huge thanks to my friend that was so sick of her prolific plants, I was able to pick what I wanted for free. I like to do it but man it makes a mess I almost talk myself out of it every year. I'm always so happy to be done and see the canner head to the shed for the winter.

I've been walking with another friend a couple days a week and the other days by myself. It's been really nice to be outside and feel the burn when we hit the hills. I walk with her on the days Dane is in school and more than once Reed has dozed in the stroller making for an almost kid free feeling and plenty of time for chat. I try and walk the other days with Dane on his bike and me following but he is so slow now that the training wheels are off and he doesn't like the 'bumpy, messed up sidewalks'. In his defense the neighborhood does have pretty cracked up concrete and the hills slowed him down too. I've kind of given up when he's around. It's too slow to even feel like it's worth it.

It feels so crazy to say tomorrow we start October. General Conference, the holidays, the upcoming birthdays, the soccer games, the changing leaves and the cooler weather. I look forward to this season all year long. I get excited just thinking about jackets, open windows and soup for dinner.

17 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That dog is amazing!

Hey, we had potato soup tonight. I was one day too early.

I hope you're feeling better.

It was fun to visit with you yesterday. Thanks.

Holly said...

Oh my gosh that dog picture is AWESOME! You have a future childrens book illustrator in your house! Sounds like you have "normal" life happening...and that is a good thing! Hooray for fall coming! Miss you!

::lindsay said...

How much do I love that dog picture! I can't believe it's October either. Good for you on the canning and the walking!

Barb said...

Dane is seriously the next Gary Larson. Has Dane ever read The Far Side?

donna said...

thanks for the update!
Way to go on your walking! :)

Heather said...

What a super cute boy- that Dane! I love the way they think- it's so raw :) It was 27 degrees when I drove the boys to school this morning. I really hope fall comes, and we don't just skip to winter!

becca said...

Sorry you have been sick. that is never fun!

Can you believe it is October? Where is the time going It will be Christmas before we know it!

Dane is so cute, that picture is fantastic!

Susan said...

Cute, cute picture! I'm very impressed!

Congrats on the walking! Don't give up! At some point, it'll all click together and it will feel so much better then.

I love fall too, but not the cold weather. Ugh.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Dane's creative juices are always so fun. It's hard to say at this point where they will lead him. He's probably has a few ideas up there to tap in on. Today it's finally cooler here in Vegas, a sunny 70 degrees! Yeah!

Shellie said...

Veterinary brain surgeon?

Heidi said...

That picture is so cute! What a creative kid. :) I'm already loving zucchini chocolate bread ( I need to give you the recipe) and clam chowder soup. Yum, fall is good.

Brenda said...

Dane you are just like my Carson. That's probably why I like you so much. Hope you all feel better soon!

Price Cream Parlor said...

That dog brain is so funny! I love it!
Fun to catch up on your blog - it's been too long...

Becky Noftle said...

For those readers of Mel's who may not know, "retored" is how you say "restored" when you are congested. J/K cousin, feel better.

Cherise said...

I love Dane's picture! Mack drew a picture of himself as a banana the other day. Kids...

Melinda said...

That picture is so darn funny! Way to go on the walking!

Dustin and Tara said...

I love the picture! I really want to get a scanner, then I can scan all the cute pictures I've been saving for years that the boys have drawn. Maybe for Christmas:)! Love reading your blog and the way you write!