Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursday Randoms

After last Thursday's disappointment of not making it to the temple, we set up appointments for Tuesday of this week. I was able to get my recommend renewed on Sunday so I was good to go. Tuesday was a smooth sailing day and I was looking forward to the evening getaway. The kids had early release Mon and Tuesday and were home at noon both days (don't get me started on that one!). They were getting along pretty good all afternoon and pretty much left me alone to get ready. We had great weather that afternoon so they went out and started playing baseball. I had the door and a few windows open and eventually let Reed toddle out there with them. I went out and asked Nathan to not play baseball anymore with Reed outside and he plead his case (he should be an attorney) to keep playing because they weren't playing baseball anymore, they were playing golf with baseball bats and Kat was watching out for Reed and keeping him safe. I'm not sure why I walked away and let him keep going but it was a big mistake!

Just a few minutes later, I didn't hear them laughing/playing anymore and I went outside to find Dane hiding behind our sandbox and Nathan hiding the bat behind his back. Dane was crying and saying, 'it doesn't hurt as bad as you think', 'it was an accident', 'I'm ok, I'm ok'. He didn't want Nathan to get in trouble so he was hiding from me. It broke my heart!

{his eyes/tears are killing me in this photo! poor boy}

I rushed out there to find this! Isn't this just the saddest face? The poor boy had the hugest goose egg with a bruise line where it almost split open from the bat hitting him right between the eyes. I took this photo and sent it to Milo and my friend that we were going with and asked if we were still ok to go. All the while thinking that if we didn't get to go, the title of my blog post would have been 'Satan is a pig'! I just knew he was trying to keep us away from the temple. Thankfully, no dilated eyes, no throw up, no fever. He sat on the couch with an ice pack for an hour and it went down quite a bit. We ended up going and had a great time. It's so peaceful in the temple, I just love it. Plus with our crazy afternoon, I needed it. Marion checked on him while we were gone and said he was his usual busy self and seemed just fine. Typical.

Oh the trauma that caused. Nathan ended up bawling harder and longer than Dane did because he felt so awful for not paying attention while he was 'golfing'. It was so sweet, he kept bringing Dane some of his favorite candy to share and every time he looked at him he welled up again. He was shaking with fear that he hurt him really bad and was so, so sad. Made me realize just how much these brothers love each other.

{to me it looks worse in person because the goose egg is in 3-D!}

And as luck would have it, today was picture day for Dane. When the other kids had picture day, his track wasn't at school so they set his class up for photos on retake day. So no other retake day for Dane! I paid an extra $7 to have it retouched, who knows if it will work or how good they are at it. I had people tell me to leave it alone but I just couldn't look at his banged up head on the wall every time I walked by. It hurts to look at it and I don't want to look at it for a year! Even though he's one adorable boy with a bruised, goose egg forehead, it's too much for this mom to handle.

Today Reed kept going back and forth between Kathryn and I, pointing to his diaper and saying 'poo, poo'. We kept checking and no poopy diaper. So I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty and go poop. He shook his head and said, 'Uh huh'. In we went and while I was telling him to go, he kept looking around and laughing about actually sitting up on the toilet. I've never put him up there before and I think he thought he was pretty big stuff. I kept telling him to go and to both of our amazements, he actually went!! I yelled for Kathryn to get my phone and when he saw me start to take his picture, he made this face and yelled, 'Cheese'. I know this is some sort of fluke and don't have high hopes for it happening again for quite a while. There is no way I'm potty training a 22 month old even if he was successful this one time. I'm definitely not that crazy!

15 comments:

Shaila Lou said...

Poor Daner! I'm glad that he was okay, that night when mom and I went over to check on him, you wouldn't have know, had it not been for the 5 inch goose egg on his head! I can't wait to see how these school pictures turn out!

Good job Reed! I think it is so funny these little boys thinking they can do this, one time at least! I'm glad you got the pictures figured out!

Heather said...

Oh Poor Dane! That reminds me of the time Uncle Brent and John and Vernon broke Mom's collarbone and none of them told Grandma- they knew they were busted! Glad he was o.k. Kylie potty trained at 22 months or so, and she was truly ready- you never know!!

Amie said...

Oh poor Dane! I'm so glad he is ok and that you got to go to the temple.

I say totally potty train Reed! Hurry before he is too big to object and be difficult. I really believe there is a small window when they are young that you can do it and then you just have to wait until they decide. James was potty trained fully, through the night and everything by the time he was Reed's age. He never regressed or even had an accident. So nice!

Barb said...

You are so wise on the toilet training, I would probably sign up for 6 months of torture trying to follow up on one lucky event.

Jill said...

That's the worst goose egg I've ever seen! When I think about the sound it must have made when he got it it makes me feel a little queasy.

Wow, Reed on the potty, that's amazing at this age, especially for a boy!

Korbi said...

holy crap, that looks painful. yikes.... Pais has been doing the same thing with sitting on the potty, and I am thinking she may be fully potty trined before Beck... ;)

donna said...

Wow Poor Dane, that is a BIG goose egg.

Way to go REED! :)

I emailed you.

The Gang said...

Ouch!! Reminds me of me and my brother. Only we would fight and then cry if the other got hurt cuz we felt bad. :) And with Reed--Good Luck, you never know. All my kids poop potty trained themselves pretty early. Jase-17 mon John-24 mon Jayda-20 mon and Kaylin was last at 26 mon. I was grateful and just went with the flow. None of them pee potty trained at the same time except Kaylin. But I agree-don't get your hopes up. :)

Brenda said...

Of course there would be a major head trauma on the day you were going to the temple. There is no such thing as a smooth sailing day when you have temple plans. I'm glad it all worked out okay. Dane is one tough cookie:D Good luck with Reed...ditto to Heather...you never know!!!!

Chandra said...

We have professional pics of Kevin with a big bump and bruise on his forehead. Ran right into the metal pole at dads. Most little boys have at least one picture like that. So glad dane was okay. Enjoyed going to the temple with you and Milo very much.

Holly said...

Oh poor Dane! That picture is unbelievably sad! Too cute how terrible Nathan felt. That is punishment enough! Glad you made it to the temple...we didn't make it back into town that night, so you didn't miss girls night! It was great to see you while I was in town! Go Reed! Who know's maybe he is an over achiever! After all it is in his blood. Uncle Kenny spoke sentences at 6 mos! :) Love you!

Heidi said...

That is so sweet how sorry Nathan was that it happened. At least he is remorseful and not a crazy mean brother (like my crazy cousin who had no remorse!). That is a humongous goose egg though. At least you had the option for touch-up.

I still need to get to the Temple. I'm nervous to drive myself. ha ha!

Granny DeeAnn said...

Oh, my poor baby! I have a headache just looking! XOXOXO Nathan and Dane. Hopefully lesson learned! However, I did have three brothers.... :o) You gotta love potty training...... Hope this is the start of the end of Pampers! I say turn it over to GMa. She claims we were potty trained at 6 months. lol

becca said...

Holy cow!! That is one huge goose egg! Poor kid. It hurts my heart that Nathan was so concerned. What a sweet brother! I love stories like that.

Megan said...

Poor little Dane, that looks like it hurt! I love how they both were trying to hide because they did not want to get in trouble, the brotherly love is so cute!! I think that is awsome that Reed went to the potty on the big boy potty! He is so cute! Thanks for the birthday wish!