Saturday, December 19, 2009

Newest Member

Tonight was Nathan's baptism. I just can't believe he's 8. And baptized. It's all gone by so fast. I can't imagine how much faster it goes from here. Too fast is all I know!

We gave him scriptures before dinner and he was so excited for his own quad set. He couldn't wait head up to the church. There was mass chaos around here right before we all left but it was hilarious chaos if you will (so glad it wasn't the shut down, cry your eyes out chaos). 18 family members in this little house welcoming and hugging each other, changing into church clothes, finishing dinner, cousins wild with laughter/growling/yelling, packing bags and rushing around so we wouldn't be late. Then it was Milo and Nate leaving for the church and Kyle and Heidi heading out to pick up my grandma. And the rest of us were still running around frantic because I couldn't find my wedding ring. Just to up the drama a bit I guess (it was found after the event and the house returned to a calm state, ha).

We have stake baptisms here and I'll admit it, I'm not a huge fan of them. I think it's a harder to stay focused on the spirit as you change rooms and deal with children (mostly my 2 yr old and I have the family photos to prove it!) along the way. But when Milo and Nathan went into the water I felt the spirit so strong and I was grateful for that sweet confirmation that the gospel is true.

When my friend's daughter was baptized in May, the kid's primary teacher, went into the dressing room and took her picture soaking wet, right out of the font. I've had in my mind that I wanted a photo like that of Nathan ever since. I knew it would be too crazy if I were the one to try and take it so I asked her if I sent them to the door of the dressing room, would she take their picture. She offered to send her husband in (our old bishop) with the camera to get some of the same photos. Thanks Bishop and JoDean, I love them all.

I'm so happy I remembered to ask her, isn't this great?! I just love his soaking wet, happy, pure, innocent, freshly baptized, eight year old face. I don't want him to grow up!

She was a little bummed his face was covered up here but I love this one too. Nathan's not one to have a very natural smile and both of these seriously melt my heart because they are just perfect. I'm so happy he chose to be baptized. He has been waiting all year as he watched the rest of his class take that step. He was so ready for tonight and I feel so blessed to be his mom.

Before Milo confirmed him, the second counselor in our bishopric asked Nathan why it's important to be baptized. He said right off, 'so we can be a member of our church and so we can be like Jesus Christ'. So, so proud of this boy!

Congrats on your baptism Nathan, we love you so much! (see what I mean about the 2 yr old?)

**I have to add that for the past two mornings, I have found Nathan and Kathryn reading out of the Bible in the book of Genesis. They told me they are going to read a chapter out of the Bible every morning. Nathan loves his new scriptures. How adorable!

12 comments:

Marion said...

I can't believe Nathan is 8 and in just 4 short years he'll be passing the Sacrament! I love the "wet" pictures! So sweet! He'll love one day that he has a Mom that insisted on pictures! I'm so proud to be his GraMimi!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh, this is the sweetest. I just love the photos and your words to describe what was going on. What a great post to have tucked away.

Brenda said...

Love all the pictures! Now I'm bummed I don't have the soaking wet picture of Preston! I hope you know what a wonderful mother you are. It's evident in the way Kat and Nathen WANT to read the scriptures. How do you do that?

Korbi said...

congrats Nathan!!! YOu have got to be the cutest new member of the church!

donna said...

what a wonderful post. Thanks so much for sharing that day with us.

Heidi said...

What a cute idea to get the soaking wet picture. You'll have to remind me of that one when Kate gets baptized.

You had A LOT of support there from family and friends so that made the night even more special. It was great. The bundt cake was amazing and the gym was loads of fun for the kids. They crashed in the car on the way home (well until P threw up!).

Melinda said...

How cute that they are reading together? I love that and the wet pictures are so great.

Granny DeeAnn said...

I was a very memorable day and I'm so glad you have some great pictures. The spirit was as strong if not stronger than the day he came into the world! What a special, special little boy. I'll always be thankful that Kat and Nate waited a month after their birthday for this special blessing, so I could be there. They both were so ready and excited. Love all the family time. See you Wed. night if we make it over the darn pass!!! lol

Heather said...

What a sweet post. Made me cry- I don't know why- I'm an emotional lady today I guess :) What a beautiful family you have Mel. We love you all and can't wait to see you.

Jill said...

This is so sweet, he is such a doll. I'm glad the day went well and that you had a big crowd of family to cram into your house. I know how that goes, and even though we're butt to butt in here I'm glad when we're all together.

I love Kat's dress!

Matthew Hardy said...

Ah, cute post! I can't believe he's old enough to be baptized! Love all the pictures! Love that Kathryn and him are reading the Bible together. Love the sweet and innocent age!

Shaila Lou said...

Love Shaila!