Friday, February 19, 2010

Five for Friday

1. My friend Tara gave me these 'cookies in a jar' for Christmas and while I usually don't make 'jar recipes', this one I knew I had to try because she is an amazing cook. She found the recipe on Bakerella and they are called Cowgirl Cookies. Hands down this is my new favorite cookie recipe for a couple reasons, #1- It actually encourages a dump and mix method, making it a fast recipe and #2- The whole batch only makes 2 1/2 dz cookies so you are done baking them in no time at all. Two cookie sheets and that's it. I love it! I haven't had M&M's on hand so I've doubled the chocolate chips (always milk). A couple times I've done half chocolate, half butterscotch chips and that tastes great too. I made a batch this morning for some neighbors that are moving (poor souls) and the cookies were mixed and baked in less than 45 minutes. Perfect for giving away. Thanks Tara!

Cowgirl Cookies

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup & leveled
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooking oats
3/4 cup m&ms
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Stir all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.Add

1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup butter (melted slightly in the microwave)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Use the back of a large spoon to work it all together. Bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. I get about 28-30 cookies out of these using a cookie scoop.

2.
We have been living in spiderville for the past week and it's been disgusting. We haven't really seen spiders since moving in until last week. Some sort of nest must have hatched or something disgusting like that because it's been at least 3 big, ugly ones a day. Last Saturday between Milo and I alone we killed 12 spiders. Kathryn's the only kids that will touch them and she wants to 'shoo' them outside. I like to go for the 'stomp and squash' so if she sees one, I run and take care of it. Thank heavens pest control came today, I'm sick of feeling creepy, crawly dirty in this house. Yuck.

3. We have the Blue and Gold Banquet tomorrow night. I not so jokingly asked my neighbor if I should be more prepared for this Banquet since I wasn't very prepared for the chaos of the Pinewood Derby. She assured me it would be a bit more normal. I hope so!

4. I love when a toy lasts through more than one kid and in the case of these toys, they've lasted through two boys. Reed has been in a Toy Story phase for quite awhile now but Buzz and Woody haven't been out for him to play with. Last week 'BuWo' were found in a toy box and he hasn't put them down since. Pretty sure it's a stall tactic at bedtime when he can't lay down without them but it's too cute to get mad.

5. We have been having some gorgeous weather around here. There is nothing to complain about, I love the sunshine! Reed loves to go for walks and the kids play outside constantly. What more can I ask for? Especially in the month of February.

14 comments:

Mishelle Noyes said...

I want to jump into cyber space and steal the pan of cookies cooling on your blog! They look delicious!! You're such a nice neighbor!

Carolyn said...

Chris loved Buzz and Woody too! How cute.

Grant found a BIG, creepy spider in our apartment last weekend. He found it the night that I was thinking about how I loved not seeing many spiders. I hate how that happens.

Elizabeth said...

That picture of Reed is so darling.

becca said...

I will have to try those cookies! They sound great!!

I hate spiders....HATE them. I am sorry. it gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Reed is a doll!! We still can't Brody to watch Toy Story, Nemo, Cars or any other movie that I am sure he would love if he gave it a try. Instead it is Tinkerbell 24/7 at our house :)

Holly said...

Hope the spiders soon disappear! Maybe they can smell those yummy cookies and they came in for a taste! Miss you guys so much!

Amy said...

That Reed is so stinkin' cute! I love the BuWo stage of a boys life! Can't wait for the new movie to come out!

About the cookies, you forgot reason number 3 for loving them--they look pretty. Don't you think a nice pretty looking chocolate chip cookie is much more enjoyable to eat than an ugly flat one?

Jill said...

Those cookies look and sound fabulous, I may have to make those today.

We have a scout banquet next Friday night which I'm not keen on. I have been so happy to be done with Cub Scouts this past year, I never had any appreciation for the chaos of it all.

Reed is all kinds of cute!

Jill said...

P.S. How could I have forgotten to comment about the spider infestation?! I must have been blinded by the cookies!

I'm so glad you called pest control, because killing 12 in one day would push me over the edge!

Brenda said...

Don't you just love pest control? They're my heros. And I love the picture of Reed. He's such a cutie!

Melinda said...

Sorry about the spiders. That is kind of crazy you have had so many! We don't get so many of those here.

We still have the original Woody Buzz from when Blake got them when he was a year old!

Our blue and gold is this week. I am not excited to go.

Heidi said...

Those cookies look good! I'm one to not really try the cookies in a jar either, but maybe I'll have to try these. :)

Yikes with the spiders. That's not good, I'm glad you got the pest control out there. We were just looking at the picture of Kyle's mission where they killed 15 cockroaches in just 20 minutes. So I guess at least you don't have cockroaches. eeks.

Reed is so cute with buzz and woody.

Barb said...

I have a cowboy cookie recipe. Maybe they'll go together with the cowgirl cookies like Buzz and Woody.

Kristin said...

Spencer and I are making the cookies today, but we had to change the name. Love the weather, not the spiders!

Granny DeeAnn said...

Hate, hate spiders! We must be related. Cookies look good but Reed beats them all! (Including Buzz and Woody!)