Thursday, February 11, 2010

Today

I::

:: woke up with the worst ear pain I can remember and was finally able to admit I needed medical intervention with this lame-o cold.

:: left the house at 8:30 to drop the kids off at school and headed to a walk in clinic.

:: found out crazy people are also at the walk in before 9am. Whoa.

:: was told I have a big, red, swollen eardrum with a lovely ear infection. No wonder the pain!

:: completely understand why kids are so whiny and difficult with one (sometimes two) ear infections.

:: went to Costco to fill my Rx, was there as they opened the door and a mere 30 minutes later the lines were already 10 people deep. That store is always crazy!

:: celebrated the 100th day of school with Dane when I picked him up. That means only 80 more to go and while I like them occupied in school, I love the dog days of summer.

:: after downloading this photo, realized it's the first time I've touched my camera this month. Hello, it's the 11th!

:: smiled when Dane said when he got older he was going to 'invent a college at mom and dad's house'. I asked why and he said he never wanted to miss us. Why do they have to grow up?

:: met Brianne for lunch and let the kids run around the playland. Love that family will risk infection for an outing. It was somewhat of a kid free outing as we only saw them when they needed a drink. Nice.

:: have yawned at least 300 times (an hour, I swear!) to 'pop' my plugged ears. So annoying. Milo even said last night, 'Can you calm down the yawning?' No I can't, thank you very much.

:: realize I've probably talked louder than normal (which is loud enough already), I can't hear a thing.

:: need to make some sort of treats for Kat's class party tomorrow. I'm thinking the easy way out, heart shaped Rice Krispies with red sprinkles. Not to brag or anything but I can make a mean Rice Krispy, ha!

:: received this text from Milo...... 'I have the man cold'. Heaven help us, it could be a long 3 day weekend.

:: started reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and I want to do nothing else. Good thing the laundry is all caught up as of yesterday.

:: love that Nathan is totally into reading right now thanks to Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I've heard this series has gotten many boys into reading for enjoyment and I'm all for it. Today he came home from school, ate a snack and went to his bed and read for an hour. That's our boy.

:: also love that Kathryn is into the Little House series. Can you say memories?

:: am so excited for this season of Survivor, starting tonight. Don't judge.

:: can't decide if I should fight Reed on his eating habits or just let it go. He eats cheese, yo-yo (yogurt), cinnamon toast, cereal of any kind, 'fuut naks', granola bars, crackers and cookies. With an occasional chicken nugget, fries and the breading of a corndog thrown in. It's so frustrating. He used to eat a much bigger variety so maybe it's a phase? But wont this 'phase' last as long as I let it? Ugh. 2 yr olds and their habits.

:: can't imagine how many calories the kids burn each day after school. They ride bikes, scooters, play neighborhood clubhouse, gather leaves, play soccer or football and generally love where we are living. Plus they crash into bed every night by 7:30, what's not to love about that!

:: grabbed the camera after dinner to capture their after dinner game. They took turns 'hiding' under some of Kathryn's stuffed animals. Funny thing, Reed really thought we couldn't find him. So cute even though he went to bed without eating dinner. Don't call anyone on me just yet, he ate all sorts of snacks and didn't care a second. Plus he has plenty of stores for the night. )

9 comments:

Korbi said...

I dont think that I have ever in my life had an ear infection??? So I can only imagine and hope that it clears up for you soon. Stephen has had a "man cold" going on 2 weeks, someone shoot me.... Good luck with the "phase" of Reed's eating and let me know if you come up with any magic...

Heidi said...

USE TARGET PHARMACY!!! It's even closer to you. Marci convinced me to switch to Target from Walmart and it is fabulous! There is never a line and it's always quiet. Plus they have amazing bottles for kids with their liquid meds- the lid they add is an ingenious invention where you insert a syringe into it and then tip the bottle up to pull out as much as you need. No mess. LOVE IT! Trust me.

I hope your ear infection gets better. That would kill. I can't remember having one...when I thought I had one I didn't and that pain was bad enough.

When Preston plays hide and go seek with Kate he never hides. He will just stand somewhere so it's funny. These kids...they think they are hiding. :)

Kristin said...

Have to say ditto on Target--especially on the liquids. Glad you finally went in! Love to hear you live in such a great neighborhood for your kids.

donna said...

Mel, I am so sorry you are sick. If you need anything, call me.
When you are feeling better, we need have a lunch date at my house.

Brenda said...

Oh I love it! But not the man cold. That's just annoying. Preston also loves the "Diary" books. Has Nathan read Captain Underpants? Those were a hit here too. Feel better darling! And ditto ditto on the Target pharmacy. They rule.

Jill said...

Oh no, not the man cold, say it isn't so!!!

Ear infections are so painful. You should take your prescription and go back to bed to read your book (I loved that one).

Cara said...

Mel, you crack me up!! I love reading your blog - best line I've heard in a long time "I've got the man cold....could be a long weekend". Love you and hope you are settling in to your new surroundings!

becca said...

Oh Melanie! I am so sorry you are still feeling under the weather...but glad that you now have meds to get better!! It is CRAZY how bad they hurt!!

Brody and Reed sound the same. I know a lot of it is my fault for not trying to feed him better...but 2 year olds are picky and they all seem to turn out ok right? He is SO cute in those stuffed animals!

Becky Noftle said...

Jackson ate nothing--NOTHING but eggo waffles for one year. Of course he does have brain cancer now---so your call! I think this winter is so mild that the cold germs aren't dying just living on and on and on.