Saturday, April 10, 2010

Kite Happiness

This is a little old and should have been posted before spring break. Oh wait, you don't even know we are over and done with spring break because I haven't posted for.ever. Getting to it now finally.

We've learned the wind is crazy here in the spring. And I mean crazy, all day long wind. Some days I don't even bother to do my hair, I let it just go flat and boring. It never bothers the kids though, they are out in it every single day. Yeah, our grass is half dead compared to the neighbors but we're working on it.

I just love that all it takes to be happy when you're little is some wind, an Albertson's sack (forget Walmart!)......

some yarn, a small stick, really dry hands from all the wind....... (Dane told me it was his idea for the small stick, it was easier to hold the yard. Funny kid.)

and you have a smashing kite festival with the neighbors. They have loved this 'crafty kite' more this week than you can even imagine. They wrap it back up and bring it out everyday after school. One day this week there wasn't any wind and they were sad they couldn't play with their 'kites'. The funny thing is we have real kites but they don't want those. In their words, 'these are more fun'.

Kathryn did try and make Reed a 'real kite out of paper' but the yarn kept getting tangled up and confused him. He still looks for it when they get their sack kites out. Poor boy, his is all ripped up and in the garbage.

I'll admit though, this was my favorite kite!

8 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Melanie, what a great thing to remember to post! Those kids are so funny. Who invented their game? Kat? Nate? I'm thinking it wasn't Reed.

I STILL miss you.

donna said...

Next big wind storm, we are coming to your house.

Becky Noftle said...

Neato, next preschool recess is taken care of thanks to you!

Heidi said...

Cute idea! I love it. They are way more manageable than real kites. I sould help Kate make one. We've even had some wind this spring that she could play in. I just love how Reed acts like a 4 yr old with all those kids around. ha ha.

Kristin said...

That's funny they were sad to have one day that wasn't windy. Clever kids.

Melinda said...

I should go and do that right now. We have some wind. Great idea!

Jill said...

What a clever way to play with the wind. I love it when kids are resourceful and curious like this.

Blake and Sheri said...

We are so glad your kids will do crazy things too! They had a ball and can hardly wait to do it again!