I had it in my mind to take the kids to the zoo. It was perfect Seattle weather and I figured it would be better to wipe them out at the zoo that it would be to yell at home all day. So we trekked six kids 9 and under with two, 2 1/2 yr olds to the zoo. They were all so good. Milo was such a good sport too, he wasn't overly thrilled with the idea of the zoo but he went with it for me. Thanks honey. We had lunches packed and were on the road by 9:30, success! I set out the rules in the car, we took a divide and conquer approach. I was in charge of Preston, Kate and Kathryn. Milo took the 3 boys and for the most part they stayed by their adult. I love when a plan works out.
I was checking the zoo website out and it mentioned the giraffes were fed from 10-11 am. I love giraffes and thought the kids would love to see them eat. Right when we get there at 10, I'm hurrying the kids to the giraffe pen so we can see the tall beasts eat. I was so let down, they don't feed them so you can watch. They charge $5 a person and you get to feed them a leaf. All of it pretty much out of sight for any one else to see. So disappointing. Oops, sorry kids! They recovered quickly thank goodness.
This elephant was all over the place as far as elephants go. He was walking back and forth and swinging his trunk side to side, he was fun to watch. Preston and Reed loved him (or her).
Can you believe they're all looking? Preston did have shoes on but he kept kicking them off and after retracing our steps once, I packed them away so they wouldn't get lost. He was barefoot boy and loved it.We stopped for lunch with all sorts of sandwiches, chips, apples, fruit snacks and crackers. I took orders when I was making them to avoid whining at lunch time. It worked because no one complained about their type of sandwich when I passed them out. Nice. There was a crazy squirrel that was ready to pounce on us for our food. I tried scaring him away and he wasn't even afraid of me. He just sat and stared. Weird little animal used to human food. The kids were laughing a nervous laugh until he finally ran away.
Reed loved this 'kee cockcock'. I love how they just parade around the zoo and a trail of people follow them. They have such gorgeous color.
Nathan wanted to make him mad so he would puff his feathers. Sound like an 8 yr old boy?
Milo so did not want me asking strangers to take our picture with this gaggle of kids but I finally found a nice guy that didn't mind at all. And can you believe they're all looking, again?! After lunch and more walking even. Barefoot Preston again, sorry bud, I really didn't want to lose your shoes.
They have an fabulous indoor playground called Zoomazium I think and we killed some time in there. Outside the door is a big sign saying only 3 kids per adult. Whew, we made it. I didn't take many photos in there. I was in charge of the little boys and Milo watched the 4 big ones. Preston loved this log with a mirror on the bottom that he could climb through. He kept going back and forth singing and laughing at himself. I really should have videoed it.We stayed at the zoo for 4 hours and only sat down when we were eating lunch. We were up at the North Entrance when Dane and Kate started mentioning they were tired in every sentence, ha. I knew it was time to go but we parked at the South Entrance and still had to walk the entire length of the park back. A bit of poor planning on my part. They did pretty good and I only had to tell them we were almost there every other minute or so of the 20 minute walk back. I was feeding them licorice as we trekked back to the car and thankfully, that helped.
Kat had requested to get her hand stamped when we left more than once. It was a bear paw and soooo something Kat would ask for. She's obsessed with the animal kingdom. So as we were at the exit gate getting the kid's hands stamped, I couldn't see Nathan. Milo couldn't either. A bit of panic set in, the zoo was much busier than when we had first gotten there. I looked back up the path and there he was around a bunch of people starting to spin around in circles looking for us. I called out his name and he came running, fast. He said he forgot to turn off the path toward the exit gate and was starting to feel a little nervous. Me too bud! So glad that was right at the end of our visit. it about did me in.
I love, love this photo. Doesn't it show how much fun they all had? They were so tired when we left I'm sure they would have just sat there without the movie but I didn't want Reed and Preston to fall asleep until we got home. Thank you dvd player for playing Buzz and Woody so the little ones waited for naps until we were home. Reed, Preston and Milo caught some zzzz's right away.It was a great weekend and I'd do it again in a second. For any of our family that would take us up on it, we love cousin time!
14 comments:
I love that last picture! All the kids look so tired, I love it! It looks and sounds like you guys had a blast at the zoo. I love seeing the elephants! But it always makes me sad seeing them in cages. Can't wait to see you guys!
What a fun day Melanie. I really enjoyed reading about it. That picture of Preston with the mirror is such a good one. Good job for grabbing it.
that was so nice of you guys to do that for heidi and kyle!
those were great pics! i love love love the last one, when they're watching buzz. too cute!
That is a great zoo, but darn the extra charges, what is with that?
Do you think you are more comfortable to ask strangers to take pictures since you started blogging, or were you always good about that? I think blogging has influence me there.
You guys are SO nice to do that for us!!! I'm glad the kids were okay. Preston always kicks off his flip flops so I do the same thing- put them away until he really needs them. :) The pic of Preston walking on the mirror is cute. I wouldn't think to take it, but it's super cute! My kids loved the cousin time too.
What a fun day. Wish I could have been there. Great pictures.
what a fun day! I bet your family got lots of stares at the zoo. There aren't many families that have more the two kids, that live in Seattle.
love the pictures of the kidlets!
and you are a nice sister for sitting for the weekend. :)
You were a brave soul to tackle the zoo with all the kids, but it looks like a great day. Score on multiple photos with all the kids looking!
How about cousin time in Royal City?!! Looks like fun to me.
So...when you flying down here?
Wow, you are so nice! I bed your brother was sure grateful you begged to take his kids. It is always so hard to find people to stay with so many kids.
How nice of your friends to come and surprise you! Good luck with making the new friends. It was a little hard in this ward at first but now it is great.
I'm still getting used to the idea that Kyle has kids...in my mind he's still a little boy running around at the dairy.
I didn't know you went over there. Shows how much we talk lately! Looks like tons of fun. I would love to go to the zoo. We need lots of cousin time before we head off and never get to see our family! Glad you had a great time! Love ya!
Post a Comment