Thursday, May 06, 2010

A Chair

I remember my first hair appointment at home like it was just a couple of years ago. Actually, it was almost 8 1/2 years ago when Nathan was 3 weeks old (how, how, how is this possible!). I thought it was going to be a breeze but by the end of the appointment I was breaking a sweat, shaky from standing for so long and almost passing out. One haircut almost did me in when just a few weeks before Nathan was born, I had 7/8 or more appts a day. At least it gave my friend Tami and I a laugh, we joked about it for years. My sweaty face, leaky shirt (sorry for the tmi) and her haircut that took forever. I made it through that first one though and it's been a great steady in my life ever since.

The biggest drawback with my set up was that my station was almost right in the center of my house. I never wanted a real 'hair chair' right there in the open, where everyone could see it and I could never stow it away. I even bought an old used one once but couldn't stand the thought of it right there and it always stayed in storage. So for all those years I cut hair with a folding chair that I could close up and put away at the end of the day. Hands down, I have the best friends/family/clients ever because no one ever complained. Well maybe one person complained but I wont ever tell who, ha.

I've been looking for a chair ever since we moved here because I have my own little salon room that was begging for a chair. My cousin's wife Courtney found someone selling this one and I love it (Thank you Court!). We learned a saying in school 'make the chair work for you', meaning turn your client or move them up and down so it's easier on your back, neck, shoulder, etc. I haven't done that for years and it was so nice yesterday. Finally, no more ghetto chair. Sure, it's when I'll never do as many appointments as I was before but that's the way things work, isn't it?

I just have to say, thanks friends, for hanging with me all those years with that awful chair. I needed the work/support/friendship/love as much as you needed a haircut. I look back on all those years and know you helped me through some rough patches and I'm so grateful.

19 comments:

Korbi said...

What's funny about this. I never really realized that you didn't have a "chair," and you did my hair for like 5 years! I was just always so happy for when you did my hair and we'd gab like crazy for hours... Miss you...

Leisha said...

Rock on! Yay for no more back pain! I can pictue you using it right now...swirling in it that is!

Shaila Lou said...

How awesome is that Mel! I can't wait to be able to sit in it and get my hair done. It's probably been 8 1/2 years since I've sat in a real salon chair. Very excited for you!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

It never even occurred to me how miserable cutting without a chair would be for you! Oh Melanie, I'm sorry. That's incredible you made your folding chair(folks it was padded!)work for so long without ever saying a thing. I think that folding chair should be enshrined. Don't you dare yard-sale it.

As for all of us helping you through rough patches, that made me laugh. You helped all of us. Don't you remember one of my literal rough patches where I burned 1/3 or more of my hair off with a bad blowdryer and you made me a combover? And helped me laugh about it?

You're a great one. So glad you got a chair.

Holly said...

Oh I wish I was there to sit in your chair and laugh my head off while you are making me beautiful. (If that is possible). I miss you! Soo glad you have a chair, hope lots of good friends come to visit that chair!

Barb said...

That's so great, what a find!

becca said...

Oh I am so happy for you! I know this makes such a difference for you! My sister has a little "salon area" in her new house (she used to do it in her kitchen) with a real chair and a sink bowel. It has made such a difference. She used to dread doing hair and now she loves it!

becca said...

I have been catching up on some of your posts and I can't believe how big your kids look! Time just flies! Reed is a crack up and he is so MUCH like Brody. They would be great friends :)

Angie said...

ooohhhh...I may need to come down and try this chair out....

how awesome for you!!

melanie said...

Jane, I love when you remind me of that sad time for your hair. It was a bonding experience for sure!

I wasn't miserable at all using the chair unless I was pregnant, thank heavens I'm short! I'll keep the chair but to be honest, it's probably my 4th or 5th one so does that mean it looses a little bit of sentimental value?

Holly, you are ALWAYS beautiful. It would be so easy on my part.

Angie, any time!

Granny DeeAnn said...

I'm next! I need a mother's day do! Too bad I take much more work than Holly!!! :o)

donna said...

great Chair.

Carolyn said...

Wow! That looks fabulous. I am going to have to make a special trip to Tri Cities to see you and that chair! My hair misses you. And I do, too!

Marion said...

I guess we were all naive to your misery! I never gave it a thought that it would be painful for you or uncomfortable. I thought about it might be hard to "eyeball" a clients hair, but that was about it. Now how can we all go back and try and make up for all the years we took what you did for us for granted. I can't wait to swirl in your chair. (BTW...did I ever tell you the 17th will work?)
Love you much!

Kristin said...

Glad you found one you like!

Becky Noftle said...

Happy chair to you, until we meet again...No I'm not on ambien, just tired.

Heidi said...

We were taught in school to have the pt move for us to save ourselves so I felt bad for you from the beginning, but was amazed at how you didn't complain and did ALL that hair over those years! You deserve the chair more than anyone. :) It looks nice too. It was a good find for sure. I'm amazed you don't have more neck/back pain from all these years. Can you bring it with you next weekend?! ha ha.

Shellie said...

I am looking forward to testing it out on Monday!

Jill said...

Woohoo for you! I have never understood how home hair-cutters can do it without one of these chairs, it seems like it would be so painful for you.