Nathan has really been wanting to learn to mow the lawn so Milo was helping him in the backyard. When Kat and Dane asked to go ride bikes I told them to go for it because they had worked so hard. I scooted Reed inside and took some photos and video of Nate mowing the lawn. It was so cute, the mower is hard to push and he never quit, he was giving it his all. His little arms would shake and he would dig in with his tip toes (the grass was too long for smooth mowing, whoops). My favorite part was when he would turn the mower around by the fence, he would kick his foot back and push off for 'speed'.Next thing I know, Kat runs in to tell me Dane crashed on his bike and hurt his teeth. I heard his screams and knew it coudn't be good. I found him, mouth bleeding like crazy at the end of our driveway, screaming his guts out.
It felt like I was in a bit of slow motion. I paused for a second not knowing what do to. Not my best 'mom crisis' moment. I told Kat, run and go tell dad it's an emergency. And in hilarious Kathryn fashion, she runs in the backyard and yells at Milo, 'Dad, emergency.' And she leaves it at that until he asks her what kind of emergency she's referring to. She's so funny, she did go tell him what I said.
This is what I find, shattered tooth all over the place (I gathered it together for a pic, ha), with a whole tooth laying there also. It was crazy. Thankfully, Milo ran over and helped me out of the slow motion I was in. We moved him inside and I gave him a wet wash cloth to hold on his mouth.
I made a few phone calls and found a dentist close to us that would meet us at his office in an hour. Or he said we could wait until Tuesday but when I mentioned Milo's knee surgery that day he laughed and said he'd see me in an hour. He sat on Dad's lap and snuggled in while we waited for the appt.
I convinced him to take a 'before' photo. Look at how far down to the nerve that tooth broke, there wasn't much left. His sad little crying face just breaks my heart. The other side tooth fell out on impact I guess. Such a hard fall! My brother reminded me I used the same 'convincing' tactics on him when he had a permanent tooth knocked out when he was younger. Good to know I've always been serious about photo documenting, ha.
Post office visit watching more TV. That's what you do when you're hurt, right?
Here he is still a little numb from the dentist but more than willing to give me his new smile. He's feeling good and was more than ready for bed to lay down and sleep. It could have been so much worse and for that I'm very grateful. So glad it is just his baby teeth. So happy it wasn't a broken nose or chin or leg or arm. So grateful he was right here in front of our house. The kids are really good about wearing their helmets and I'm really grateful for that too. Our kids get their teeth late (Nate lost his late too) so this is a smile I predict we're going to get to see for quite some time. It's going to take some getting used to but he's just so adorable, it wont take long!
14 comments:
Ewww! That is just AWEFUL!!! My eyes are watering...poor lil guy!:(
Poor guy! Sorry this is how you had to spend your fun weekend before Milo's surgery!
I'm so glad the "scene of the accident" didn't involve the lawnmower! You had me scared.
The tooth shattering is frightening and sounds so painful! I'm so glad it was a baby tooth and that the dentist was willing to come in to help. Things are never dull around there eh?
I really think Melanie is sad cause she won't be able to yank his teeth out with dental floss! He will be normal before you know it. In fact he was doing really good when we skyped in the afternoon. Jello, ice cream, pudding, yogurt, mashed potatoes, OATMEAL..... What more could you want? I love you Dane and hope your mouth feels better today. Way to go mowing the lawn Nathan. A little hard work is good for all of us once in a while! That's the key...... ONCE in a while!!
OUCH!! Poor Dane! I was scared, like Jill, that the scene of the accident was the lawn mower. YIKES! That would have been BAD! Jackson knocked out his front two teeth also, except they were his PERMANENT teeth! Geesh....boys! Hang in there Dane, those permanent teeth will be there before you know it. Enjoy the jello while it lasts!
Oh! I just love Dane. I am so sorry. But good thing it was baby teeth. Cason lost his over a year ago. Thanks to his big brother. Still no teeth. Good luck.
Yikes!!! I'm just glad he didn't bite his lip when he was falling... Tell Dane will compare scares next time I visit. Give him a huge hug for us!
I was thinking the lawnmower also! Poor guy, that is just plain scary! I am glad he is okay and that it was just baby teeth.
I'm still cringing over the accident and it makes my bum hurt!! His mouth looks good! He'll be used to it in no time and at his age, no one will think twice about his missing teeth. Who knows...maybe he'll get his permanent ones earlier than Nathan did. Have him talk to Aunt Leisha about missing teeth! She had hers gone for years! Love you, Dane! You still look handsome and very cute like our little Daner! oxoxo
ICK!! I'm so sorry Melanie! Good thing you were able to get in that day!
Well, that really is lucky it was baby teeth. Poor boy. Jaclyn did a number on her baby teeth when she was 2 years old and we had to look at the 'after' smile for years till she got her permanent teeth.
Ouch! Poor Dane. I'm glad you got a picture of the accident scene. :) Next time a tooth comes out you can rinse it off and put it back in the socket! Sound fun?! ha ha. Good job on returning all that stuff earlier...doesn't it feel good to get rid of it?
Ohh, poor Daner! He looks pretty dang cute with his missing teeth. I'm glad it wasn't worse. Great documenting off the accident scene!
Nathan's lawn mowing reminded me of a time that I was mowing the lawn and pushing it with all my might. I had to stop after 2 strips and then take a rest, and do it again. I was 7 months prego though, and didn't know about the power drive. The one and only time I had a prego scare. Ha!
Dane - I love your "new" smile - even though it's only temporary. Sorry about the accident. I agree with Jill - was glad it didn't involve the lawnmower - we have experience with that type of accident. And it's a good thing these teeth weren't permanent ones. But still, ouch!
Post a Comment