Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Earning Mom Points at Day Camp

I spent 8 hours today dedicated to Nathan and took a turn volunteering at cub scout day camp. 8 hours. It wasn't quite as painful as it sounds, but it was a long day. It rained all around us but thankfully, we stayed dry. It was cloudy, cold and windy for a June day but I'd take that over a heat stroke day in a second.

Our first stop was a knot tying station. They boys were excited to be there and a funny teenager was a helper, they liked his jokes.

They worked on 4-5 different knots. Nate kept wanting my help but I had to send him to the guy for help. I could get a couple knots on my own but could not teach them to him for anything. What a help I was.

There was a trail mix making station and from there we went on a nature hike where the boys learned about all the trees, plants and animals native to the area. The hike kind of creeped me out once they mentioned ticks. But it was fun to laugh with a great friend when I should have been watching nature, thanks Kris (she's amazing and ran a station there for two days, she deserves a vacation!).

We broke for sack dinners and while Nathan was eating, I made his pose for this self portrait. I want him to remember I was there hanging with him at his first day camp (pretty sure dad will be hanging out with him at his second, ha!). I earned a few mom points today, right? It was fun to be with you today Nathan and watch you be a scout. Especially on the hike, not noticing anymore trees or birds than was needed. Five of each and that's it. Love you buddy.

This grandpa told local history stories and completely had their attention. I'm sure the cold temps and full bellies helped them stay in their seats. He happily endured some random questions and just answered them like it was nothing. I need to be like him.

We made it back home at 8:15 and with a smile on my face I can say, I'm not headed out there tomorrow. And even though I can say that, I am glad I went and helped. All in all the boys were good and I never really wanted to pounce on anyone except for the last 15 minutes as a couple kept trying to run away. I couldn't really blame them though, I wanted to run home at that point too!

8 comments:

Heather said...

What a great mom! Nothing worse than day camp- except mabye Trek- where I'm headed today. Glad you guys stayed dry! Love ya and can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks :)

Holly said...

Ahh...good old Day Camp. You have to experience it least once. Or only once I mean! You earned points for sure in my book! Glad you both survived to make it back next year! :0)

Jill said...

You definitely earned a lot of mom points for doing this! I'm going with the Activity Day Girls next week to the same day camp the scouts go to, heaven help me!

Brenda said...

You're a better woman than me. Our second Day camp is coming up soon and I have no plans to participate. I really should change my attitude about that. I use the small children as an excuse;)

donna said...

it was so fun seeing you there..:)

Granny DeeAnn said...

What a handsome little scout! You can have all my points Melanie.... Wait I didn't get any. I'm sure you will have lots of points with 3 little boys!

becca said...

Ah, you are a good mom. My mom and aunt used to pay me when I was a teenager to take their "days" at scout camp. It was always hot and a little miserable, but I was getting paid :)

LOVE the post below about the dinners!! I have been reading through the recipies and can't wait to use some of them. I only cook "real" dinner about three nights a week. One night is cold cereal (pb &J for Brandon), and the other three are left over or mac and cheese. I always have so much left overs...and I do the same. Someone has tacos, two people spagetti etc. :)

Kristin said...

You make it sound like I did much more than I actually did. It was fun to see you there!