Thursday, July 22, 2010

Change of Plans

Monday was a busy day, we were getting ready for my mom to fly in that night at 7pm. I tackled the laundry, 8 loads or so, the kids swept the floors, organized dressers & closets and I was feeling good about getting it done so we could play for the next few days without worrying about cleaning.

At 4:50, I answered a call with an unfamiliar area code and the person on the other identified themselves as 'So and So' from a medical response team. My immediate thought was Milo. He wasn't home from work yet and that is within minutes of the time he's usually home. Then the medic told me he was in Las Vegas at the airport. He was with my mom, she had just had a seizure and she wouldn't be boarding the plane. What?! He told me she cut her head, she was confused and they were taking her to a hospital. It's crazy how fast a phone call can change your focus. She wanted to talk to me so he put her on the phone for just a few seconds and she was so confused. I almost lost it when I heard her voice but pulled it together to tell her they would help her feel better. She can't remember talking to me at all and only remembers waking up in the ambulance.

I had no phone numbers for her friends or coworkers to go be with her so I spent the next bit scrambling for numbers. How stupid not to have contacts when she lives so far away, duh!

After talking to the people that were at the hospital with her and with Milo's encouragement, he booked a flight and I was off. One of my mom's coworkers picked me up at 10pm Monday night and took me straight to the hospital. She looked so small and sick, it was awful. She had a grand mal seizure and was pretty beat up. There was a cut on her head wrapped up turban style and she was so pale.

Tuesday was a pretty rough day. I made it to the hospital by 7 am and spent the whole day with her. (I did get to read pretty much all day and loved the book, The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. So good!) She was sick, sick. Her jaw was sore, her tongue chewed up, her legs and head aching too. Top that off with extreme nausea and not being able to keep anything down, not even water. It was not a great start to the day. But early evening, she was starting to feel better. Thank heavens! Her home teachers gave her a blessing that night and I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood. Her tests have come back clear so for now, it's a one time seizure. And we're all praying it stays that way!

We came home from the hospital yesterday early afternoon and have laid low today. We fly home tomorrow and I'm so grateful she can fly and recoup up near more family and friends. She can't drive for 3 months so if anyone wants to see her, come pick her up, ha!

Milo's had a busy week with the kids and juggling work. I can't wait to see him and the kids, I've missed my family. A huge thanks for his encouragement to come (he was ready to buy the ticket before I was, I didn't want to seem like I was overreacting). A huge thanks for all the help we had with the kids too. Young women, our neighbor and GranMimi spent all day today with them. I'm sure they loved it. It's great to be taken care of and not worry when you are needed somewhere else. Thank you, thank you.

(Last night I did get to meet up with one of my best friends from high school that I haven't seen in 9 years. It was so awesome to see her, she lives right by my mom.We grew up on the other side of this huge city, it's such a small world they are in the same ward now. She is so funny, we never stopped talking or laughing, I could have stayed a few more hours at least! I made her take a photo and once I'm home, I'm posting it. Don't think I forgot Jenn!)

14 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Mel...that's so scary! I'm so glad you were able to be there for your Mom. Even more, I'm so glad to hear that she is feeling better. Here's to a speedy...and full recovery!

Melinda said...

I am so sorry! That would have been so scary to get a phone call like that. I am so glad you were able to fly out and help. I am so glad she is feeling better.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Melanie....good thing you had your laundry done :)

I'm so sorry about your mom. She's such a petite woman, I can imagine how frail and tiny she looked. I'm so glad she had it where there was immediate help.

I'm so glad you're with her and she'll be with you for the next while.

Thinking of you both.

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! I'm so glad your mom is on the mend and that you are able to be there with her. It's really terrifying how quickly things can change.

Cara said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom but glad to hear she is improving! I'm sure you were so scared. She's in good hands with you, though, and I'm sure you feel a sense of relief being able to have her close to keep an eye on her. My thoughts, prayers, and love are with you! Love you!

Brenda said...

We've been thinking of her non-stop. Tell her we love her and she's in our prayers!

Heidi said...

I'm glad you went down there to help her! She is so far away from family so thank goodness for her nice co-workers who stayed with her until you got there. I'm glad things worked out with people watching your kids. That would be stressful to think about, but glad it was fine. We can't wait to see Gma Dee Ann and hopefully she continues to get better!

Holly said...

She has been on our CONSTANT thoughts and prayers. I texted you Mel...but weren't sure you had text on your phone. Hope she gets a lot of good rest at your place! RIGHT! :0) I am so glad to know she will be close for a few weeks for you to keep an eye on her! Have fun! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

Kristin said...

wow, so glad you could hop on a plane and go. Glad she is well enough to recover near family. Take care!

Becky Noftle said...

We too are glad to have Aunt DeeAnn in the right place and recouping. The offer to take your kiddos still stands.

donna said...

Melanie, so sorry about your mom.. So glad you were able to get to be with her..
BIG hugs

Donna

Adolescent Family said...

Sorry to hear about your mom :( I hope all is getting back to 'normal'. Please don't hesitate to call us if you need anything! We can even bring you a meal if your too tuckered out! Take care!

Dustin and Tara said...

I can't believe that. I am so glad you flew down and that you had help with the kiddos! She was probably really thankful you came to help her!!!

becca said...

Oh Melanie! What a scary situation! I am so glad that you were able to go be with her and that she could come back with you. I hope she is doing well. I am thinking of you!