Saturday, July 31, 2010

So Many on Saturday

Catching up (sort of)~

~I made it back from Vegas a week ago and have been settling back into life ever since. Both my mom and I were dead tired the first couple days back and thankfully, Milo let us rest and get used to 4 kids again. Mom is doing much better and every day she feels a little more like herself. She still has daily headaches and a nasty head wound but I'm sure it all takes time. Thanks for all the well wishes, prayers and concern. Family and friends are such a blessing in times of need.

~Kathryn's favorite Saturday job is cleaning out the van. In fact, I don't even ask her, she asks me if she can do it! She puts on her plastic jewelery, hat, sometimes asks for the ipod, and cleans away until there is not a crumb or rock in sight. It's amazing. Cleaning out a car is almost always on the bottom of my list so for her to take it off, is heavenly. Thanks Kat!

~A couple of Saturdays ago, we watched our two nieces while their parents went to the temple. A certain almost 7 yr old boy loved little Nora. He talked baby talk, held her binky, wanted to hold her even if she was crying and so on. We had a great time watching the girls. I think Dane's hoping we get asked again (hint, hint).

~Reed loves Buzz and Woody and a few weeks ago, Marion surprised him with these miniature figurines. He would not go anywhere without them for days. One night he was crying (stalling) at bedtime and he didn't have them with him. He looked up at me so pathetic and said, 'I need my tiny 'pecial Buzz and Woody'. For the record, they are hard to keep track of!

~A few days ago Kathryn found a praying mantis in some tall grass in the backyard. She loves to tell me about bug/animal habitats and was so excited to find this tiny guy. I had fun catching him in macro. Not the clearest photo but he was definitley staring back at me. All the kids took turns holding him on a sticks and I had to be the bearer of bad news when I said he wasn't coming inside.

Reed wanted a turn to hold him.

He crawled up the stick onto Reed's hand....

then jumped to Reed's elbow....

crawled up his sleeve....

and then jumped onto Reed's face. We all jumped and yelled but Reed just gave us this look and said, 'bug on my face'. Then we died laughing.

~I can't believe it but our garden is growing and producing fruit and veggies. I wasn't sure we could pull if off as rookies. Nathan has been patiently watching the banana peppers and decided to pick one and try it a couple days. He's working on a taste for all things spicy like his dad so he just chomped right in. He said it wasn't spicy but that it didn't taste good at all. Great, what am I going to do with all these peppers?

~Look at this sweet face. I wish I could say he never yells or throws tantrums but I can't. He's 2.5 and he very much yells about almost everything and tantrums aren't far from the surface either. He's in a phase right now with fighting sleep. We are constantly putting him back to bed at both naptime and bedtime, it's killing us. Maybe wearing us out is a better term. I just have to keep reminding myself it's a phase. It is a phase, isn't it??

11 comments:

Angie said...

Melanie, your kids are so freaking adorable!!!
Glad that your mom is feeling better.

Sharalyn said...

Melanie ~ I'm so glad your mother is doing better. What a scare! It's wonderful that you can have her here with you to recuperate. Tell Katherine she could probably get a good little side business going cleaning out other people's cars. It is not usually very high on the "Favorite Job" list and it sounds like she's got a talent for it! Tell Nathan that the banana peppers aren't really great for munching fresh, but they are wonderful in stirfry and salsa. They're also good in a pepper relish. Not too spicy, but flavorful in things. If you've an abundance, call me. I only planted one cherry tomato this year - that's it - one cherry tomato. Pitiful, I know. Love your blog, Mel, and Angie's right - your kids are adorable.!

Carolyn said...

I'm glad your mom is feeling better! She is way too young to be sickie!

And, your kids are way to cute. I miss them!

Marion said...

All I can say is..."blessings". Everything and everyone! I love you guys and I'm so grateful for how hard you and Milo work at your eternal family. It does start here...today...not later. Love you so much!

Heidi said...

Man, that is awesome that Kathryn cleans the van out! With all the snacking that goes on in our car we need someone like that all the time!

That "bug on my face" is hilarious! I can't believe he let that thing crawl all over him!!! So funny. He's looking like a 5 yr old, not a 2 1/2 yr old.

You need to put a safety door knob thing on the inside of Reed's door so he can't get out of his room. We have to do that with Preston b/c he would escape at night and in the middle of the night. Not good.

donna said...

so glad your mom is feeling better...

becca said...

How great is Kat!? I need her to come clean my car!

I am dying at how cute Reed is! That bug on his face is ADORABLE! So glad you snapped a picture!

I hope your mom is doing better. I think about you guys everyday...

Melinda said...

I am so glad your mom is doing better. Way to go for Kat helping out so much! That would be so awesome to have! Those pictures are so darn cute!!

Kristin said...

Love the pictures of the praying mantis making its way up Reed. Hope your mom continues to feel better and better.

Becky Noftle said...

We will take the temper throwing kid any day to give you a break--oh but throw in the car cleaning one with him would ya??!!

Shaila Lou said...

Love kat's cleaning ways. It reminds me of how I was as a little girl always willing to take on a cleaning job myself.

Baby Nora could not be any cuter! My goodness! I'm jealous you got to spend time with her and Emma!

Love the praying mantis macro! I wish I had a macro lens. The pics climbing on Reed are hilarious! My boys would flip out. Every single one of them.