Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Beyond Grateful

Last Wednesday (the 25th) started out as a normal day, I did hair, some laundry, managed kids. The day took a turn and by 5:30 I was in the ER with severe abdominal pain. I ended up needing surgery that night (female) and felt comfort from a priesthood blessing as I was rolled into the OR. Marion came to be with our kids knowing I wasn't coming home that night and the thought of her driving late still makes me feel the love, she's an early to bed, early to rise kind of woman.

The next day was rough. The medicines they had me on were not helping and I was not improving. I had low blood counts so they ordered a blood transfusion. By Friday, I lost even more blood and was getting weaker (and whiter) than the day before. It was awful to know I was that sick. I wanted nothing more than to go home but I also knew the state I was in I couldn't go home to a busy home with 4 kids.

Saturday ended up being a really bad day. Anyone that came to visit had this 'look' on their face that clearly said I was not doing very well. I was in the middle of getting bags 4 and 5 of more blood when I finally had a meltdown. I was crying and hysterically asking what in the world these bags of blood were going to do for me when clearly the first 3 did nothing. I had a low grade fever so all transfusions were stopped and it was decided after another blood test that I would be headed back to surgery on Sun morning. Biggest of biggest let downs.

After another blessing Sunday morning I was wheeled into surgery. It was fast Sunday and I felt the power of those fasting in my behalf. I was calmed. A funny nurse came over to me just as I was about to head into LaLa Land and said to me, 'Your surgeon is so ugly. But he does a great job, you're in good hands'. It was just what I needed to laugh away to dreamland.

The second surgery was twice as long as the first (3 hrs this time), worrying Milo and those that waited with him. I'm grateful for the support he had, it was a rough 5 days for him. I can imagine, I don't ever want to see him like he had to see me. The recovery this time was much, much better. Obviously, it was the kind of surgery I needed.

Marion stayed with us an entire week. I know she would've stayed for anyone of her kids in need but it humbled me she stayed so long and helped so much, sleeping on the couch no less. I came home Monday night and the kids started school Tuesday. Not the best of timing but what can you do? She helped make our traditional letter pancakes, packed lunches and made sure I was not overdoing it.

I have felt so loved, so prayed for, so watched over this past week+ that my heart is very full. Sometimes saying 'Thank you' just isn't enough. I still get weepy thinking about being on this end of so much service. Taking care of the kids, dinners, cookies, mowing our lawn, People Magazines in the hospital-a must, visits, prayers, thoughts, calls, texts and more.

Milo's work told him to take the whole week off after going through so much (I forgot to add in Milo's uncle died Thurs (the 26th) and his funeral was Monday of this week. Read about it here. A stressful week!). He was been so good to me. Getting up in the night for meds or water, whatever without complaint. I'm resting as much as I can so when he heads back to work Tuesday I can resume my job as mom. I really miss it. The kids have been really good too. Gentle around me and honestly less fighting.

I'm so grateful for my family, for love and support and Christlike service in times when we need it the very most. I'm grateful for the word of prayer and the undeniable power of the priesthood. I've been so humbled this week. We aren't in control but we aren't left alone to wander either. He is with us. I've felt the presence of my Savior and know he loves me.

17 comments:

Price Cream Parlor said...

I just happened to check your blog - I have been so bad about reading blogs! I am in shock!!! I am glad that you will be ok - but what a scary thing to have to go through!!!

Hang tight!

Lucy said...

Melanie! I'm so sorry for you. What a scary thing to go through. I hope you continue to mend and recover and will be thinking of you and your family. Sounds like they have been wonderful so far.

Becky Noftle said...

You are pretty easy to love Mel. I thought Milo was doing a bang up job too--tell him I said so.

Carolyn said...

I was so happy when my mom texted to me that you were going home! Wish I was there to help take care of your kids for you.

Angie said...

I still can't believe that all happened! I am so happy that you got through it, and that you had people around to help you.
I hope you mend quickly and that life returns to normal. :)

Heidi said...

Thank goodness for family! You are blessed to have good family and friends around to help. Glad you are home and on the mend. You've been through a lot so it's a good thing your kids have been good to you.

Heather said...

We love you Mel and are praying for your quick recovery. Hang in there girl- You are amazingly strong!

Susan said...

I'm sorry that happened to you, but glad you are feeling better!! Hope the road to complete recovery is fast and easy!

Marion said...

You are always the first one on the scene when someone needs something. It's your turn to be the receiver...you've earned it! It was an absolute blessing to be able to come help with the kids. I've counted so many blessings by being able to do so and so blessed to have the health and strength to be there. It was good to see you last night looking more like yourself. Take it slow and easy....still! Love you so much!

Brenda said...

I have been thinking about you all week and have been wanted to call. I hope you are resting well and taking care of yourself. We love you and you're in our prayers (as is Milo's whole family).

Chandra said...

I am so happy to hear your voice so much stronger. Can't wait to go and do a girls day and celebrate your birthday. Love you Mel. Praying for a quick recovery.

Chandra said...

I am so happy to hear your voice so much stronger. Can't wait to go and do a girls day and celebrate your birthday. Love you Mel. Praying for a quick recovery.

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, what a shocking turn of events! I'm so glad you're okay now and that Marion, Milo and others took such good care of you. Goodness.

Kristin said...

What a rough patch, glad its in the past. Wish I had brought you something after the baptism! Take it easy, give yourself some time to get back to normal.

Holly said...

So glad you are on the mend Mel. We were worried SICK about you. Take it easy a little longer, if you can. Give Milo and Marion a great big hug from me taking care of you. Love you all soo much! Hang in there guys!! :0)

Shellie said...

I am so glad you are okay. Love you!

michelle said...

This sounds perfectly awful, Melanie! I'm so glad you're doing better and that you had Milo and Marion on hand to take care of you and the kids. Milo's boss was inspired for sure!