Sunday, September 05, 2010

Back to School

Getting home from the hospital after 5 days the night before school starts is a little something like having a baby 2 days before Christmas. I don't recommend it! At. all.

Milo's boss told him after the funeral on Monday morning and getting me home from the hospital that same night, he needed to take the rest of the week off. I am so grateful for that, he's been such a help. Getting breakfast, lunches and backpacks packed for school and then walking the kids the couple blocks to school has been so much more than I could've done on my own this past week. Thank you amazing boss, you were inspired! And thanks to you Milo, you're a great dad to step right in and help it get done. Isn't the before school madness so fun?

We gathered the kids for their annual father's blessings the night before a new school year begins. They really look forward to it and even Reed hopped up into the chair for 'his turn'. He sat so still and looked so grown up. I love that he's making eyes at Marion here.

Nathan laid his clothes out. The socks kill me.

Marion stayed a couple more nights with us and I'm so, so grateful she gave us those days after I was home. We needed her! She made the pancake batter and heated the griddle and I attempted to help with making our traditional letter pancakes though I don't remember helping with much. She pretty much did all of it. This horrible photo shows that even though no one really felt like it, we stuck with tradition. Sorry Kat, I know you had your 'K' pancake but no photo. Marion made their lunches and helped them get their backpacks ready too. See what I mean, we needed her.

Look at this boy's bed head. He gobbled up his pancake.

Nathan thinks he's such big stuff this year and was amazed when I said I didn't care if he put one green shoe lace in and one black one. He felt so edgy, ha. (and judging from his reaction, I say no too much)

Kathryn loves this shirt. When I had her try it on after I bought it she declared this coming year to be her best yet. I asked why and she said because she loves peace signs on shirts and she has cute clothes. Thanks Ross. My big, grown up, adorably, sweet girl....4th grade?! Hardly seems possible.

Dane, Dane. He has been so excited to be in 1st grade so he can stay at school all day long and eat lunch there. He of course loves it already. His birthday was the fourth day of school (another post in the wings), he just turned 7. Milo had a quick lunch with him and surprised him with a big chocolate doughnut. He scarfed that and ran right to lunch recess. His favorite part of the day even though he can't find his friends. My smart, sensitive, funny boy.... stop growing. Please!

The 3rd grader. He now has ideas on combing his hair much different than my own and likes to 'see his bangs'. He has had the hardest time adjusting this last week and comes home each day starving and exhausted to the point just before tears. He told me more than once he just wants to close his eyes because it's so much reading, comparing, math and more. He usually gets the swing of things in a couple weeks and always is a great student. It just takes him a little longer to adjust being away from home for so many hours. My busy, active, intuitive, handsome boy....enjoy yourself, whining is no fun.

This was Reed hanging out in half his pajamas as soon as the other kids were out the door and down the street for school.

I was so glad to be home and spent the day either wandering around with my old lady shuffle, chatting with Marion or napping in my own bed. Home is so much better than the hospital.

12 comments:

Brenda said...

Thank goodness for great family! And your house sounds a lot like my house. Preston lays out his clothes, Carson whines and has a hard time adjusting to a schedule and Abby is just happy to have most of my undivided attention. Glad you're starting to feel better! We love you!

Marion said...

Even though the circumstances were not what we would have chosen, I LOVED being able to help. I've come home and thought of all the things I wanted to do but didn't have time to do! But the memories with the kids are priceless! And the worn out old "GraMimi" came home not as worn out as she thought she would be! BLESSINGS! So many! I love you!

Carolyn said...

Stop growing!! Seriously? Are those kids really that big?? That's impossible! It would mean I have been gone for over 4 years and this is not even true.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Yeah! Everyone's getting back in to their routine. Big, big hugs to Marion and every one else who helped do my part. I can't believe our little kids are so big! Love you all! Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you. Mom

Jill said...

I'm so glad you had Milo and Marion to help you with all the back-to-school craziness.

I love it that Nathan laid his clothes out right down to the socks, that's so funny!

donna said...

wow you kids are so big.. :)
I hope you are feeling better.... Call me if you need anything...

JanaLee said...

I'm so glad you are doing better and yes, Mimi is amazingly wonderful, caring and sweet! You have a darling family and the best years are still to come...well, I miss the young years, too. Just enjoy each moment as they come because it really does sneak by ya. Love you and again...so glad you're doing good!!

Holly said...

The socks kill me too! What a funny kid he is! Soo grateful you have wonderful family to help you when you need it. Keep hanging in there, we are thinking and praying for you. Love you!

becca said...

Oh my gosh! Melanie, I had no idea about your surgery! I haven't been on my computer much lately (obviously) and I am just in tears reading about what happened to you.

I am so glad you are ok and that things turned out all right. What a HORRIBLE SCARY experience. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. So glad that you had so much help and that Milo was able to stay home from work. Talk about stress!

Natasha said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! When I stopped by yours recently I waas embarrassed by how much I've missed and how long it's been since I visited you!

I can only imagine the stress of surgery, back to school craziness, etc all at once!

Lucy said...

I so love all of those pictures. I adore the socks. I love Reed in his chill pajamas bottoms. Hope things are MUCH calmer and less stressful lately.

Jon and Amy Duvall said...

WOW! I can't believe Kat is in 4th grade... I remember being in her class... in 1st grade! They are so adorable and growing so fast.