Friday, September 10, 2010

Five for Friday (+1)

1. I realize I'm a week behind on Dane's birthday post but the thought of going through the photos has felt like too much. I'm working on it buddy. Soon, soon.

2. Today was superhero day in Kathryn's class. They got to make up their own hero and devise a costume for a party and celebration today. She is so funny. Her superhero is 'Madame Nature'. It's just so Kat. She is a Greenpeace, flower child, tree hugger, PETA lover, take the bug outside kind of girl. I cracked up when she told me her hero. It was last minute rushing to get her ready so this is an after school photo but still cute. I put her hair up with curls and flowers and she had flowers draped around her neck. While I was getting her ready Nathan told her she needed glitter but she heard something else and boldly proclaimed, 'Madame Nature doesn't litter!'. Oh she's funny. She also had activity days today and she made this cute CTR sign. Of all the paper she had to choose from, cheetah paper and giraffe ribbon for her. See what I mean, this girl is all about animals.

3. I turn 35 tomorrow. 35?? Really? It just seems crazy, wasn't I 19 and living the college life just a couple years ago? Don't answer that.

4. Sometimes out of nowhere I get all sorts of emotional. Stupid hormones!

5. I've had 3 different people come and get Reed this week and watch and entertain him for hours. He's not too bad to have around but let's be honest...he's 2. Today I had an aunt and cousin come and mop my ridiculously large and filthy wood floors (in another house, I'd never want this much wood floor) and scour my bathrooms. All of it such wonderful service. It's hard for me to be on this end service but in no way does that make me less grateful. I'm so humbled and feel so blessed. I love the people I'm surrounded by. My family, my friends, my ward family. Good, good people.

6. A few weeks ago Dane asked me if I had any money because he wanted to draw some. He loves to draw. I found a $5 bill in my purse and let him draw away.

This is what he brought me when he was finished. I just love his Abe Lincoln. Isn't his money much more adorable than the real thing?

10 comments:

Marion said...

1. Totally Kathryn! She is a unique girl and I'm so proud she is her own individual. She's a thinker and a doer!
2. Birthdays creep up faster every year. I, too, feel like I was just 19. I remember Teeteet saying that her mind felt like she was still 19 but her body told her differently. Yup! She's right!
3. You have a right to be hormonal right now! Cry and eat chocolate. It's a good combo!
4. I'm SO glad someone came to help you clean! I was trying to figure out when I could come down. You have wonderful family and friends! And a wonderful ward!
5. While I was there staying I really had a chance to enjoy Dane's drawings. He's amazing! I hope he keeps it up!

Keep posting. I enjoy reading even though I don't always comment! Love you!

Kristin said...

I think Kathryn and Ashley are cut from the same cloth. Fantastic superhero costume. Happy Birthday, hope you have a great day!

Heidi said...

I LOVE that drawing from Dane. Abe Lincoln looks amazing. He does a better job than I could! Kathryn's outfit is hilarious. You describe her perfectly with her tree hugging ideas. She should live over here! ha ha. That's nice of your family to come clean. I'd have a hard time with that too, but it's sure nice they did that.

Chandra said...

That Dane is quite the little artist. I have always enjoyed his drawings. Kathryn's super hero outfit is adorable. Happy Birthday Mel.

becca said...

Ok, Kat looks ADORABLE!! What a great idea for a super hero costume!!

I am so glad you have been able to have some time to yourself, what a difference that can make when you are trying to heal.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Ha, ha.... Kat is so funny. She must be reincarnated from the hippie era! Thanks to Mona and Bridgette. Can the come to my house now? Have an a great B'Day! Waiting for Dane's post...... :0)

Melinda said...

Melanie! I just got caught up on all of your post! I hope you are feeling better! What a nightmare you have been through. Holy cow!

It is so hard for me to be on the receiving end of service. I like to give it not receive. That is so great that you have so many people to help you out. I really hope you are doing better!!

s said...

Love, Love, LOVE the superhero!!!

Lucy said...

What a great superhero costume! she looks stunning.

35 is awesome. Own it with me:)

I am glad you are blessed with good friends and family close by to help you. I hope you are feeling like yourself soon.

Love the money. Keep him practicing and you just might have a new source of income!

jenny said...

Happy early G'day! I hit 35 this year too. I guess that means midlife for us?! Kats outfit is super creative. Great pix!