Friday, September 17, 2010

Five for Friday--Fabulous (w/o photos)

1. Tuesday I colored my hair dark. Yesterday I added highlights, I just couldn't stick with the dark even though I sported that look for years. And today. Oh today I finally got it cut. I haven't had a cut since early June and that's almost an eternity for my fine, stick straight hair. I still travel 85 miles (one way) for a haircut feeling high maintenance on the way there and loving my decision on the way home. Love the new cut, a shaped up version of what I had, but I hated all the self portraits I took so no photo. Trust me, it looks tons better.

2. A good friend didn't know I was sick/in the hospital until after the fact and felt horrible. Her kind, kind solution? She canned salsa and stewed tomatoes for me. Tons of it too! Who does that? I mean who really does someone else's canning for them? That is a serious act of service and friendship. We sat and chatted before my haircut and the time just flew by. Tonight when I came home, I hate half a pint of salsa in her honor. Thanks Kara, you are an amazing friend!

3. After the salsa pickup and above haircut, I met my dear friend Jane for lunch. I have only seen her once briefly since December (at a funeral) but that didn't stop us from having a 3 hour lunch with no pause in conversation. We just picked up right where we left off and didn't stop from there, don't you love friends like that? The restaurant was dead so we kind of looked like squatters but we didn't care a bit. She is such a real person, I want everyone to know her and hide her for myself all at once. I loved chatting, catching up, discussing, supporting, laughing and for me at least, almost crying. I loved every minute of lunch with her and didn't want it to end. We walked slowly to the cars and then we lingered before we left. Love you Jane!

4. Tonight we ran an errand close to bedtime with the whole family. Don't ask why, I don't know we just felt wild like that, ha. Dane started whining about being hungry and then they all chimed in on it. We drove through McDonald's and got everyone an ice cream cone. I remind myself all the time that I need to step out of the box as a parent but Kathryn is usually the one to really drive that point home. As we start to drive away she says (it's 8:15ish), 'I don't know anyone that gets ice cream cones at night, this is really special.' Oh dear, Milo and I started laughing. I don't mean to be a bedtime nazi, it's just how I've worked all these years. I blame it on all those years Milo was working at the jail/sleeping odd hours/going to school. I never went anywhere at night. I have really got to break free. Point taken Kat, thanks!

5. I have THE best news to share about someone else. And since Heidi just posted about it, I will too. My brother Kyle got a job today at 10 minutes to 5:00. Nothing like making it a good weekend! It's been 20 long months but he's never given up. When he called me tonight, I screamed into the phone and got goose bumps. I'm thrilled! It was hard for us to move on and get a job and watch them wait. The kids started noticing we were praying for him and Milo (they lost their jobs about 3 weeks apart from each other early last year) and they started adding it to each of their prayers. Dane especially never forgot to pray for Kyle, over every lunch last year after kindergarten and every one in between. Reed even started getting in on those prayers and today when we told the kids, they were so happy. Reed jumped up and did a happy dance. I should video it and add tomorrow. It's adorable. Congrats guys, we love you and are SO happy!!

11 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Melanie, I was FLOORED when I got in the car and saw 3 HOURS had gone by. I had no idea. An hour and a half maybe, but . . . oh my goodness. I wanted to call and apologize for "sitting at your table so long" but I didn't have your cell number with me Oh geez. But it was GRAND, wasn't it?

I'd have taken the double-chin hit for the team with a self-portrait and then everyone could have seen your cute hair, too. Sorry about that.

That Katherine is so funny. I love kids that see little things as miracles.

Thanks again for a great afternoon.

Holly said...

Post a picture of your hair Mel! Sounds cute! Ice cream at night, can I be in your family?? ha ha! SOOO Happy for Kyle and Heidi, I did a happy dance when I found out too, although probably not nearly as entertaining as Danes. Or was it Reed's? Either way HOORAY!!!!

Becky Noftle said...

I was dragging the family around tri-cities, looking for 5 different days of dress up stuff for homecoming week, for 2 different kids (that's right 10 costumes) with unwilling younger siblings when you called about Kyle's job, suddenly life was fun again! As to your hair let's see it. As to Kathryn she wakes us all up when you post her comments so keep doing it. So glad you are on the mend.

Jill said...

Wow, an 170 mile drive for a haircut is serious dedication!

How nice of your friend to can for you and hook you up with all that salsa!

I am so jealous of your long lunch with Jane. I would like to have weekly lunches with her, sort of like therapy.

That's so funny about the 8:15 ice cream cone...how special.

Hooray for Kyle!

donna said...

Sounds like you have been busy! : )

Barb said...

Oh, I am a bedtime nazi but I really need to reform.

Lucy said...

I wish I could see you both for 3 hours! what a good way to spend your time:)

It is fun to surprise our kids sometimes. But, I also think it's great that they recognize it as special, because it should be. I treat my kids way too often and know this because they have stopped saying stuff like sweet Kat.

Hooray for your brother! I remember a similar feeling when my brother called me after being out of work for so long. It is hard to see someone you love struggle with rejection after rejection and wonderful when they are finally recognized for being the competent and good workers that they are.

Brenda said...

Yea for the Lublins! And I wanna see your cute hair too! Love you!

Heidi said...

I need to drive 7 hrs round trip to your house to get my hair done! I'm in desperate need too of a haircut. :) I'm sure yours is cute. Can't wait to see it.

Ha ha! Kathryn is funny...ice cream at night is fun!

Thanks for the shout out! Kyle stuck it out and I'm excited for him. It was a long, frustrating road so hopefully everything works out and he enjoys it. Thanks for all the prayers. That's cute how the kids remembered to include him in their prayers all the time. Love you guys.

Amie said...

Oh Melanie. I feel like a loser blog friend. I had no idea about your surgery. The whole things sounded scary... I'm so glad you had help and that it sounds like you are doing well?

And I missed your birthday. Sorry.

I would love to have a three hour lunch with you and Jane. Two of my favorite "I do not know you" bloggers.

Laurie said...

Your lunch with you and Jane sounds wonderful. She looks like a wonderful person when I've stolen peeks at her through her blog.

That is serious hair dedication, but I don't blame you. I spend a lot on mine and don't see any other option!

We are much like you - being out and about at night the kids is a rarity. Ice cream at night - cute!