My mom always taught me that, in life you had to use humor to get you through. My great grandma taught her and she said she never would have made it without the laughs. So in an effort not to lose it here are a few funnies...
Nathan cries almost every morning because of one thing or another. Life is definitely hard for this almost 9 yr old boy when he's tired and worn out from school. Getting used to school for him is no fun. When he cried again this morning about how I 'never let him do anything' in a most exaggerated tone, I had to walk away and laugh. (where does he get this behavior??? anyone that knew me at 8, don't answer!)
Once I started feeling better from both of my surgeries I came down with the most horrific cold. I was coughing and hacking for days with a fever to boot. No fun. I started feeling better a few days ago when it started to come back again. This morning at 4am I woke up with the most intense ear pain and I knew I needed to get to the doctor. As luck would have it, I have double ear infections. Apparently, I'm a toddler and am in need of tubes. Who gets ear infections as an adult? In both ears even. Again, not so funny but definitely a funny ironic. I guess September isn't meant to be a healthy month for me!
I finally have a calling. On Sunday I was called to be the Relief Society secretary. After a nine month break, I'm pretty sure this one's going to keep me busy. As we were leaving for church, I told the kids I wanted them behaving in sacrament meeting. I gave them the old 'reverence' speech. I was looking forward to going (it's been three weeks) but I reminded them I still didn't feel 100%. After I was sustained to my calling and sat down, Kathryn leaned over and said, 'Good thing you came to church today! Did you know they were going to do that?' The look of shock on her face was hilarious. About 10 minutes after she said something Nathan asked if I knew they were going to do that too. Guess we need a lesson on callings? Still a great laugh.
Today I entered this photo in a contest online to try and win a $50 gift card to Real Deals on Home Decor. Oh this photo makes me laugh. We were at dinner tonight when I thought of it all over the internet and cracked myself up....again. My mom always made me wear a dress on picture day. I always had my hair coiffed up while the girl next to me had her hair in tangles. I remember this photo day. We could bring our favorite toy to be in the photo with us. So what did I do? I brought two Cabbage Patch Dolls in matching dresses of course, ha. How much did my mom love me? Must have been a lot to sew three dresses for picture day. The hair and the teeth about do me in but hugging those dolls cracks me up. Thanks mom for always making me 'dress up', it's great fodder all these years later.
What's the contest---best use of a bolt of fabric?? Double ear infections--my Grandpa Bishop used to tell my Mom that her ears would "feel better" once the ear drum burst!
Double ear infections?! Ouch! I thought I had an ear infection once, but nope and it hurt bad so I hope those antibiotics kick in soon so you feel better.
That picture is HILARIOUS!!! I don't think I'll enter that contest with one of my pictures of my signature hair mullet. ha ha.
I am laughing so hard over your kids' comments, I can hardly write. Love the picture of you! It's cute and innocent. Don't love that September hasn't been a very good month for you. Love you!
Oh my! Melanie I am sitting in my office cracking up! I better stop or someone is going to come and wonder what I am laughing so hard about, and then they will know I am not working. Yikes! I hope you win the $50! Love you!
Grandma Great was probably the seamstress! I was the hairdresser. Chicken soup NOW! Please get better, this is stressful on an old lady! I don't know why any of your cousins would be laughing at you though..... I probably did the same things to their hair! lol
Matching dresses with your Cabbage Patch dolls is priceless! Wow! My girls probably feel neglected about now! However, their hair was as wonderful!?!
Keep laughing! I know I have to! Pop texted me (and probably the entire fam!) and said, "Carpe diem, it's the only one we have!" I told him I was lost! He agreed! Love you much!
OK that picture takes me back in time, I love it! How frustrating to get a double ear infection! Nathan is a tired kid. When he isn't too tired call me and he can come play. I signed my boy up too late so he isn't playing soccer...bummer. Hope your presidency is fun to work with, you'll be great.
oh that pix cracks me up!!!!!! I think I even remember seeing that in the hallway @ your grandma's house when we were little kidlets. ha ha ha!!! i always wanted the "double-pix", but my mom never let us. :(
19 comments:
Whoa, double ear infections, that's just crazy! You poor girl, it's like the universe is telling you to go back to bed or something.
That story about your church calling is so funny.
Oh my goodness, that childhood photo of you is something else. I hope you win!
I love,love, love to laugh. So, thanks for the funnies.
Is it weird that I can smell the Cabbage Patch Dolls when I look at that picture?
Oh Melanie...that picture makes me laugh. I love old pictures like that and hope you win.
What? You still have your cough? Your body is just plain at war. I hope the good guys win and soon.
What's the contest---best use of a bolt of fabric?? Double ear infections--my Grandpa Bishop used to tell my Mom that her ears would "feel better" once the ear drum burst!
Double ear infections?! Ouch! I thought I had an ear infection once, but nope and it hurt bad so I hope those antibiotics kick in soon so you feel better.
That picture is HILARIOUS!!! I don't think I'll enter that contest with one of my pictures of my signature hair mullet. ha ha.
Oh man Heidi, just reading about your signature hair mullet cracked me up. It's good to know I have company when it comes to crazy 80's hair!
i want matching dresses with my dolls!!!
I love old pictures too! I've been there and you just shake your head, don't you?
Hope you get better soon! Moms are not suppose to get sick!
I am laughing so hard over your kids' comments, I can hardly write. Love the picture of you! It's cute and innocent. Don't love that September hasn't been a very good month for you. Love you!
Oh my! Melanie I am sitting in my office cracking up! I better stop or someone is going to come and wonder what I am laughing so hard about, and then they will know I am not working. Yikes! I hope you win the $50! Love you!
p.s. Tyson just recovered from a double ear infection, and he was MISERABLE! I hope you get feeling better soon!
Grandma Great was probably the seamstress! I was the hairdresser. Chicken soup NOW! Please get better, this is stressful on an old lady! I don't know why any of your cousins would be laughing at you though..... I probably did the same things to their hair! lol
Matching dresses with your Cabbage Patch dolls is priceless! Wow! My girls probably feel neglected about now! However, their hair was as wonderful!?!
Keep laughing! I know I have to! Pop texted me (and probably the entire fam!) and said, "Carpe diem, it's the only one we have!" I told him I was lost! He agreed!
Love you much!
I soooo remember that picture. Classic. And as for the rest...just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.
OK that picture takes me back in time, I love it!
How frustrating to get a double ear infection! Nathan is a tired kid. When he isn't too tired call me and he can come play. I signed my boy up too late so he isn't playing soccer...bummer. Hope your presidency is fun to work with, you'll be great.
Relief Society secretary is a very busy calling. But i know you will do great..
Love the picture...
oh that pix cracks me up!!!!!! I think I even remember seeing that in the hallway @ your grandma's house when we were little kidlets. ha ha ha!!! i always wanted the "double-pix", but my mom never let us. :(
OH Melanie! What a month you are having! Ear pain is the WORST! I hope they are feeling better...and I hope you get healthy again :)
That picture is the BEST!! You were so cute...you need to win that contest for sure! And cabbage patch dolls...oh how I loved mine!
Ok that is the cutest picture EVER!
Post a Comment