Tuesday, October 19, 2010

3 Million Houseguests

Tonight I'm asking myself why in the world I can. Why do I take the time, effort, energy, money and.... even more time to put up peaches, salsa, applesauce, grape juice and whatever else? Right now, the taste and satisfaction (what usually keeps me going) do not feel worth it. Not even the savings (most of the stuff I can is free produce) is feeling worth it right now. I even went and reread this on my friend Jane's website, The Parable of the Canning Jar. Yes Jane, my thoughts exactly. More than we need juice, we need clean jeans. More than we need juice, Reed needs reminders to not have accidents. And on and on.

One of the boxes of grapes looked innocent enough when I carried into the house but once they entered the sink the flies started coming. Thousands of them. They were lining up on the walls, the cupboards, all over the sink. They just kept coming and coming. I know I can exaggerate but this time, I'm not!

The paper cone, vinegar, dish soap trap was only here for an hour and half and thankfully did it's job to clear the hallway. They are literally every where in this house and I am so disgusted. My skin is crawling and I feel like I have a filthy dirty house. Sick!

This jar is in the room I cut hair in (no appts tomorrow, whew). It's the closest to the garage so it was definitely the most concentrated with nasty little bugs. Heaven help me if they aren't gone in the next day or so. I feel crazy coming on!

I should've ended this post with a photo of all my beautiful, dark purple jars of juice to show it's not all bad to can. But, the grapes in that one box started it all and I'm just not ready to celebrate the juice, ha.

12 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Melanie. Those fruit flies are nasty. What a funny photo shoot of them. (By the way, we've had a ton of gnats but they are a beautiful flourescent blue...still a nuisance, but at least a pretty nuisance. I've never seen the like.)

Grape juice is the easiest of all to can, don't you think? I mean other than the fruit flies. That definitely takes the fun out of it.
At least they have a short life span.

How's everything else going?

melanie said...

It was a photo shoot wasn't it Jane? I didn't mean for it to be, I just kept walking around with my camera disgusted and clicking away.

YES, grape juice is the easiest of all to can. This was my first year canning it and after the flies, maybe my last!

::lindsay said...

Wow, that's a crazy amount of fruit flies. I'm so impressed with all your hard work though. I don't know how to do any of that canning stuff.

Jill said...

I have never canned anything ever.

Ew to those flies! I'm glad your trap was successful.

Brenda said...

And this is why I don't can (or the fact that I don't have the stuff, time, talent, patience or any other of the qualities it takes to can). But I'd love to taste...I mean SEE the fruits of your labors;)

becca said...

Oh Melanie! A few months ago I bought peaches at costco that had fruit flies on them. I am STILL fighting the few lingering flies. I HATE them!! What is that vineger trap??? I will have to look it up and try it. They are a nightmare!!

I canned grape jelly and grape juice with Amie one year when I was at college. It was so much work and SUCH purple mess. But it was worth it.....i think :)

Angie said...

I am seriously grossed out by all those fruit flies!

I'm sure the juice will be worth it though...? right?

donna said...

Wow, Lots of flies.....

Holly said...

I feel your pain. I did applesause and apple fruit leather a few years ago and for some reason I have not done it since. There is a very good chance I will never do it again! I am soo impressed you are sticking with it! IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

Heidi said...

I hate fruit flies too!!! Gross. I hope that grape juice tastes good. It better. :)

Dustin and Tara said...

That looks familiar!

The window strips work wonders....believe me I know:)!

Lucy said...

Well...you just convinced me not to can:)

Nothing like a little bit of nature in our homes:) I hope they are all dead soon. I can only imagine the heebie jeebies you are suffering...