Monday, October 04, 2010

Some Things

{I know I post a lot of Dane's drawing but I can't resist. Love the check marks too}

::The kids have gotten progressively worse watching conference at home for the past couple sessions. I've been feeling like maybe we need to attend conference at the stake center a time or two so they appreciate it at home. We all slept in a bit on Sunday so without being a little late we wouldn't have made it. It came to me that we just needed our Sunday clothes here at home to induce some reverence (mostly for the boys). I know most people look forward to their lounge clothes and I'm one of them but it just didn't bring enough reverence for me to get anything out of the talks. Surprisingly, not much opposition was met and they were definitely more reverent even though we were still in our own living room. In fact, they sat and listened to both sessions on Sunday very well. I love Dane's notes up above. He drew a picture of each speaker and an 'amen' after each one. I couldn't agree more buddy, I loved every talk and felt so much of it was directed right to me. Amen.

::I was winning the war on potty training until today. Today he's getting the best of me and I want to give in. Throw the towel in. I know that means I can't give in but I'm finding it hard to fight the fight today. A whole week of good to this. Ugh.

::I'm a practical person and most of the time I'm proud of that. I like practical gifts, I shop sales first because it feels more practical. I wanted the Shark Steamer Mop for my birthday because I couldn't see myself buying it, it just seemed too selfish to get an expensive mop just because I hated the task. But since Marion gave it to me, I love it. Love it. There is way too much floor in this house to mop and it has cut my mopping time to less than half. Perfect gift for me. Cue the time when I don't like being so practical. I want to take the kids to Disneyland. Plane tickets are cheap right now and while I'm sure we could make it work, it just isn't practical. I don't know exactly what they are going to be but my medical bills are going to be big enough we shouldn't spend the money. If only I weren't so practical sometimes. Sheesh.

::I'm jumpy. Really, really jumpy. Milo learned this before we were married and hasn't purposely scared me since. I was driving home from work (it was dark), and I pulled into the carport of our apt without seeing him parked behind me. He ran up and slapped the trunk of my car and scared the daylights out of me. I screamed and ran up all three flights of stairs and locked my door even though I knew who scared me. Crazy.

::Fast forward to last night. I was up going to the bathroom in the middle of the night which might be too much information but it's important to the story, ha. I rarely get up for a bathroom visit and when I do, I don't turn the lights on, it just wakes me up even more. Well last night Milo opened the door, was surprised to see me there, quietly said my name and I lost it. Screamed bloody murder at least 3 (maybe more) times. I don't usually scare him back but this time I did, he jumped back wondering what the heck I was screaming about. Still cracks me up when I think about it. How do I get over being so, so jumpy? Really, it's ridiculous. And no Marion (they are a family that scares), it doesn't mean scare me more!

11 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. I like that, too, and how you closed your first paragraph. Brilliant of you to have them dress in Sunday clothes. Absolutely brilliant.

I hate being scared, too. Hate it. Why do men love it so? Funny you got Milo back unintentionally.

OHHHHHhhhhhhh Disneyland. I hear your pining. I want you to go. It is a necessity to "have wholesome family recreation." Does that count? Now can you count it as practical? I practically could.

Cara said...

I SO relate to the being jumpy! You should have grown up with Grandma! There were times I wouldn't speak to her for days because she would scare me so bad. Now, I'm married to someone who purposely likes to hide and scare me because he likes to see my reaction. Not funny! I love your kids, they are the cutest and funniest! Love you!

donna said...

Love the bathroom story!

Jill said...

I always enjoy Dane's artwork.

Good for you for going to the Stake Center for Conference, I'm so glad they were more reverent.

The jumpyness is hilarious, I am that way too! It's so funny to think of you scaring Milo back!

becca said...

Ha Ha!! I am exactly the same when I get scared. I will scream so loud and so long my throat hurts for days. And it takes very little to scare me :)

I am so impressed with how well you handle conference. I need to be better. I put my girls in the garage with an art project so that I could really hear the speakers. Great for me...not for them, they need to hear conference too.

Heidi said...

Good thing you were on the toilet when he scared you so you didn't pee your pants! ha ha.

Maybe Disneyland in the spring? Or maybe win the lotto?! :)

melanie said...

Heidi, yes! the lotto sounds great. Will you start playing for me?

Brenda said...

I'm laughing so hard right now. Both with you and AT you (Milo too)! Love it! And please come to Disneyland! We'll go with you (as long as our passes aren't expired...better hurry)!

Heather said...

Mel- you are so funny! I love your posts! We tevo all of the conference talks so we can go back and watch them one at a time. We pick one for family home evening each week for the next few months. This way I'm not a stressing so hard about not being able to listen to every word when it's on live. I know we will get to them all eventually and actually be able to focus since it's just one talk at at time- just an idea. Hope you guys can make it to Disneyland! Sometimes you just have to throw practical out the door, and make family memories- like McDonalds at 9pm-- ha! Sure do love ya!

Amie said...

What a good idea to have them get wear church clothes for conference. I was thinking over the weekend of when we used to go to the church to watch. My family only ever went to one session though... is 4 crazy sessions at home equal to one in the chapel? I hope.

Disneyland sounds fun! I relate to the practical you... I can be practical to a fault and make everyone crazy.

Melinda said...

Jason thinks it is so funny to scare me. I hate it.

I need to do something to make the kids more reverent. It is bad over the and I have always been at a loss as to what to do. I will try the clothes!

I am the practical one of our family. Someone has to be!