Monday, November 01, 2010

Halloween Come and Gone

This year we had a fairly laid back Halloween. Thank goodness, I've stressed in years past and now I wonder what in the world I did that for.

Friday the kids had 'Crazy Hair Day'

I may have overdone it with Kathryn's hair. When she came home, I took out the twists and her whole head was tender, she didn't even want to brush it, her scalp hurt that bad. I do have a tendency to think 'there is no way this is falling out', ha. Wonder where I got that from (mom!).

Friday night was our ward's Trunk-or-Treat/Carnival. The kids had a great time palling around with friends, I didn't even see much of them until it was time to head home.

Kat was our flower child, hippie. Grandma DeeAnn send the shirt just because of the peace sign so it worked out great for her costume. I added on to some old jeans of Nathan's and made her headband so we ended up with a fairly cheap costume that she is in love with.

Nate borrowed this baseball uniform when he couldn't think of anything else. Perfect, a free costume.

Mr. Harry Potter aka Dane. He couldn't pin down what he wanted to be either and decided on this after finding the cape in our costume box. I tried to find a scarf in Griffindor colors and ended up buying this fleece at Walmart for $3 and sewing it together an hour before trunk or treat. Surprisingly, I wasn't crazy or stressed doing it and it turned out, ha. He made an adorable Harry.

and Reed was Buzz Lightyear. He wears this a few times a week anyway so why not for Halloween too. Notice he's shooting his 'laser'? This is a hand me down costume from Cara's boys (thanks again) and it is still logging miles as a favorite costume around here.

Marion opted out of her annual witch party this year and threw a family costume party instead (I skipped the makeup this year but I've worn a costume now for 3 years running, probably a record for me since turning 10!). Plus old town is a little like Utah and the city had trick or treating on Saturday so the kids were still able to go around and do their favorite part. We missed Shaila's witchy self but Skyped her for her birthday, technology is awesome.

Leisha made this 'treat' of Jello worms. I could not get over them. With grape jello, some cool whip (not sure of what else) and bendy straws, they looked like actual worms. Sick and hilarious all at once. Leish definitely won best spooky treat of the day.

You can always tell when Kat's had a good time. She fell asleep before the 2.5 yr old and barely woke up when we made it home. Taking her sleeping photos never gets old for me, it's just so funny to me that she can sack out so easy.

Now there is an insane amount of candy in this house that is just too hard to stay away from. Two gallon size bags and 4 quart bags filled to the gills. So. much. chocolate. to resist.

11 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm the first comment!

I love the costumes! They turned out really good. Good job on Kathryn's jeans and what a good idea for Dane's scarf- getting fleece. I wouldn't have thought of that so very clever. He looks real. I just bought a Buzz lightyear costume on clearance today for Preston, but it's not as cool as that one. I got it so he wouldn't dress up in Kate's dress-up. We'll see if it works.

Those worms are DISGUSTING looking! They totally look real and I don't know if I could eat them...but I guess I do eat gummi worms so what's the difference. Fun times.

Carolyn said...

I wanna know how to make those worms! They are awesome.

My momma sent me a pic of the kids. They are all so cute in their costumes. Good work!

donna said...

love all the pictures... ; )

::lindsay said...

Love everyone's costumes! I'm glad it was a great Halloween!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh gee. Those worms are incredible. I want to try that. For what? I don't know. That just seems like something you should keep in your arsenol.

I love Kat's outfit. (Do I dare say it's groovy? Ugh. Embarrasses me to even type that.)

Dane does make a great Harry Potter.

I can't get over how grown up Nate looks in every picture.

What did Milo dress up as?

Angie said...

I am always so impressed when homemade costumes, don't look homemade....great job!!

becca said...

Great costumes!! So impressed that you made that harry potter scarf (fleece is so hard to sew!!)

Kat looks darling (again....SO impressed you made those jeans, you are very talented!

what a fun halloween!

Holly said...

Wow...the kids all look GREAT! You amaze me how you are able to put such great looking costumes together for such good prices! I end up at Walmart on the night of the 30th and paying $29 for some totally lame costume. Help me Mel! Miss you guys!

Kristin said...

I can't get over the worms and the last picture of Kat. Ash says I would totally take a picture like that and laugh...Glad we didn't make you late for the party!

Marion said...

The kids were so cute! It was a fun day and I'm glad we have a Halloween tradition. And I love that I didn't try....it just has evolved. I love that we all dressed up...Well, Milo, Richard, and Pop were questionable but it's such good family fun! Thanks for getting into the spirit!

Leisha definitely gets the prize for good creativity this year! The worms were so....WORMY!

Shaila Lou said...

Loved Leisha's worms! Glad I got to see a picture of them. Wish I could have been there to party with you all!

Loved the crazy hair day and all their cute costumes! Adorable kiddos for sure!