We opened the traditional Christmas jammies. I usually get one person's jammies way too big and it was Kat's this year. We had to safety pin them so they wouldn't fall off.
I begged and pleaded for a photo in front of the tree and out of the 30 or so I took, this is one of the 2 that Reed isn't blurry in. Actually all of them ended up pretty blurry after we were all moving around like crazy people trying to get Reed to sit still. Memories, right?After they calmed down, we read the nativity story from the scriptures. We were going to have the kids act it out with the Little People nativity but that quickly turned south and I shoved it behind the couch. After the scriptures, I read or rather bawled through A Christmas Dress for Ellen by President Monson. The kids were really into the story and sat very well (we do not have the illustrated version). I'm reading this every year. I love the reminders it gave me- listening to the Spirit, keeping our faith through hard times, the gift of service and how it blesses both the giver and the receiver and the power of love. After the adults recovered from crying (I could barely finish the story),we sang songs and let the kids choose their favorite. Nathan- The First Noel, Dane- Silent Night and Kat-O Little Town of Bethleham. We let Reed choose to though he took the singing in a different direction, he chose Santa Claus is Coming to Town. In all, it was a perfect Christmas Eve.
Milo grew up with his dad crepe papering the kids in the basement so they couldn't sneak up and ruin Christmas morning. Since we have a long hallway this year he was excited to block the kids from peeking. He lost steam pretty quickly and this ended up to be the 'wall'. Not exactly what he remembers from growing up (it was a solid wall of weaved crepe paper), he had no idea it would take so much patience to block it all off. Maybe next year, ha.
The kids Christmas morning ready to bust through the wall.
Santa left Reed this Buzz Lightyear scooter. He is in heaven with it. Sadly he's only ridden it a few times since Christmas with this annoying cold snap.
Santa brought Dane a Pokemon DS game. Something he's been wanting and wanting and wanting. He was also left with a huge bucket of Legos. I told him Legos are so much better for his smart brain that the
Nathan was surprised with this ripstick. He's been so determined to learn how to ride this he will go out in freezing weather just to make it past another house on the block. I'm pretty sure he can go the length of the whole street now (I still can't even stand upright on it). Way to go Santa, another great gift!
Kathryn loves peace signs and Santa left her this groovy hat. She loves it because I don't bug her about combing her hair, ha. She got new bedding and some scarves and a few other trinkets. Santa knows her too, he also left a peace sign necklace she has yet to take off.Christmas Day was actually pretty laid back as well. Kyle and Heidi were going to be here in the afternoon and we planned on dinner around five. I made homemade rolls for the first time and they actually turned out quite good. A little on the giant side after rising too long but hey, there is a learning curve with rolls so I wasn't disappointed. We had ham, twice baked potatoes, corn, a fancy salad, rolls and for dessert I made chocolate eclair cake (pies felt like too much work). Cooking can really wipe a person out, I'm glad it was half done the day before or I'm not sure I would have finished making dessert. It was awesome having more room in this house, that took the intensity level way down from years past. We could get in the fridge and not make a person move on their chair at the table, ha. Big improvement.
We exchanged names with the cousins and they had so much fun watching each other open gifts. I loved taking them shopping too as frustrating as it is, they love finding things for their cousins and it's adorable.
Nathan talked about holding Lindsey for days before they got here. He loves babies and when she was around he repeatedly asked me to have another one. He even said, can you get one? Oh you know, it's as easy as picking something up at the store, ha.
When Grandma comes, she's packing electronics and the kids know right where to find them. Here, Preston is hooked up to the iPad and Kate is watching Curious George on the iPod. Cracks me up they all know how to use them.I loved Christmas this year. I felt loved, I felt blessed, I felt love for others and most importantly for my family and my Savior, I felt peace and joy. Really, what more could you ask for?
9 comments:
Oh....what a great Christmas. I could feel it. I'm so glad you posted details.
I love the picture of the pajamas, with Dane's arms around Kathryn and Nathan.
Santa knows your kids so well. He is so smart. He must play with legos for hours.
I think the Christmas Eve photo of the kids turned out really cute! It's so had to get good pictures of a group of kids and it's just too funny that Reed was blurry in most of them (little kids are always on the move). I love that he is holding Dane's hand in the picture.
Too cute! I loved the pictures!
And it is so true about the ipod and ipad! Kids these days are so darn smart.
I love all the pictures! What a great Christmas!
And I read your post below...I didn't even know they MADE cookie paddles for my Bosch! I NEED those!! :)
Love the picture of the kids sitting in front of the tree in their pj's! Ha, I just read the other comments, they like it too. Glad your holidays went well.
I might be stealing the crepe paper wall idea. That was golden.
Love the memories the pictures brought back. But what was Nathan trying to do in the background when Dane is getting his PJs????? Good thing GMa Dee Ann doesn't have to get to the fridge for Diet Coke anymore or the crepe paper idea wouldn't have worked. Maybe Milo left me enough room to go under who knows.... Looks to me like I stayed in my room! :0) Dinner was really yummy and I know I could go for one of those rolls right now. Thanks M & M Miss you guys.
I think you need to share the crepe paper idea with Heidi - after her experience of Kate slipping down the stairs christmas morning!!! Cute pictures, cute kids and cute ideas. Another year of memories. And seeing Lindsey and Nathan just makes me miss her even more!!
I was so mad that I forgot to take pictures of the jammies! Glad to see someone didn't forget. Winston and the boys were just loving look at the picture of their cousins. Winston even tried saying all their names. He called Reed, ee.
Milo's streamer wall is pretty pathetic!! ;) He better practice for next year. One of my favorite memories of Christmas at dad's house. I hope someday we can do it as well!
Post a Comment