-- The Sunbeam. He was hanging on my skirt, crying like crazy his first Sunday in Primary. I usually prefer the 'dump and go method' with crying kids, it just plain works better, but this time I paused and went back. Not like me at all, I'm getting soft in my old age, ha. I'm happy to report that he did awesome yesterday and during sacrament informed me he wanted his own chair this time (he sat on the teacher's lap when he was crying the first week). I love Sunbeam teachers.-- Which brings me to my next question (at the end of this paragraph...). I've always been strict with nap times, bed times and schedules. Especially when the kids were little, we did not deviate. Plain and simple, it was how I coped. With Milo working graveyard, going to school, sleeping weird hours sometimes morning, sometimes night I just couldn't deal with tired meltdowns every single night by myself. Here's what I want to know. Since these kids have had a good pattern of sleep for most of their lives, have I created little people that just simply cannot go without sleep? Are they too used to a full night sleep that they can't handle a 'fun day'? Does it have to do with age? Personality? Little of Both? All of the above? Where's my parenting manual???
9 comments:
I'm with you on the Sunbeam thing---Sunbeam teachers are fantastic! Chloe went without crying on Sunday too. I was stoked.
And hey, there is nothing wrong with kids needing sleep! I still need a full night's sleep and I'm a grown up!
I'm so jealous (but still happy for you) that sunbeams is already going well! We aren't there yet.
I have also been pretty strict and steadfast with bed times, and nap times...so maybe Q will be one of those "needs her sleep" kind of girls as well....
I'm anxious to see what people say. maybe I will learn something. ;)
I was a Sunbeam teacher many years ago. LOVED it...
Reed looks so slick and cleaned up with his hair all fixed. Ahhh....:) That's good he is doing better with Sunbeams. So far P is doing good. Phew. I'm holding my breath though.
As for sleep (I'm no expert!)...I think it's their personality and because they are a KID! I like to give my kids their naps and make sure they go down for bedtime at a normal hour and I think it's totally fine. I think it's a good thing. They get cranky when they don't get a good nights rest, but once in a while it's okay to deviate, especially when it's a fun outing. Just know you may have to pay for it later. :) I think it will get better with age. And some kids just need way more sleep than others.
So sorry Mel, but the sleep is genetic! We need 2 hours more than the average human! lol It's not feed the bear it's let him sleep! I can't believe Reed and Preston are Sunbeams. He looks like such a big boy.
Oh Melanie! I feel your pain!! I have always been SUPER strict with early bedtimes...like 6:30pm, because they are just so much better with sleep. But I feel the same way you do, I have created monsters that CANNOT miss sleep for anything. They spend the night at grandmas and the next day is AWFUL for me. My oldest is the worst. She just needs a lot of sleep and I can tell this is going to be hard for her as she gets older. Already her friends stay up till 10 on the weekends. 7:30 is pushing it for her and she is a grouch when she wakes up!
the truth is, I was (and still am) that way. I went to bed at 9 or 9:30 in high school because I felt sick the next morning if I didn't.
I wish I knew what the answer was....
I don't think you have created monsters. I think too many people don't give their kids enough sleep! You ask any doctor, read anything, and kids need at least 12 hours a night. I know some naturally don't need as much as others, I have kids like that, but kids, even teenagers need good sleep. They are growing like crazy. I have always been just like you and am strict with bed times because I need the break. On weekends, we let them stay up a little later but we always pay for it the next day.
Reed looks so darn cute in that picture.
I can't decide if it's better for a very young sunbeam or old one. Sometimes I feel bad that Winston is going to be so old in nursery, but then other times, I'm glad he gets to still just play with toys. I hope Reed is coping with sunbeams. I remember how hard it was for my other boys to transition to no toys and fun.
Love that Nate loves the Zags! So cute and so fun to share that love with Milo and Pop!
Post a Comment