Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday Thoughts on Monday

I didn't exactly get around to posting this yesterday (or last Sunday for that matter) so I found a really original title for today's post.

Last Sunday was our Ward Conference and during Sunday School they passed out a paper that was full of quotes. I know this talk has been quoted over and over since it was given in October's General Conference but it hit me again. Thank you Elder Larry R. Lawrence, I need this talk as many times as it will be repeated in church and for as many times as I'll need to reread it. I love the way it helps me to feel courageous.

"It takes courage to gather children from whatever they're doing and kneel together as a family. It takes courage to turn off the television and the computer and to guide your family through the pages of the scriptures every day. It takes courage to turn down other invitations on Monday night so that you can reserve that evening for your family. It takes courage and willpower to avoid over scheduling so that your family can be home for dinner."

Last night we had a Baptism Preview for Dane. He's going to be 8 this year. I can't believe it......8!! Our ward has 18 kids getting baptized this year. Still blows me away, that is a ton of kids in one year. I love it that 12 of them are boys. Milo's a little nervous, they'll all become a cub scout in his Wolf group. I think he might want a new calling, ha.

I felt the spirit so strong last night in all the chaos of talking to 18 kids and their parents. We sang 'When Jesus Christ Was Baptized', I love this song. I'm so proud of our kids for their strong testimonies so young and for their willingness to follow Christ and his example. They are examples to me!

Often I feel discouraged and let down with my own faults and imperfections, let alone my parenting skills. Sometimes I think how much easier it would be if I didn't have so much to work on myself. Maybe then I'd be able to handle parenting pressures more, uh um, maturely. I do know on thing and that is I'm blessed to have very forgiving children that love me each and every day. No matter what. They greet me with hugs and kisses and their sweet faces remind me to work harder the next day. I'm very grateful for the new start each day brings.

5 comments:

Jill said...

That is an awesome quote and so true!

Wow, wow, wow to 18 kids getting baptized this year. How great for Dane to get to be one of them.

Susan said...

So true, Melanie. So true.

I actually had to give a talk based on this talk. It impressed me so much!

Heidi said...

No wonders why we are told to be like little children...they are so forgiving and yes, it's a good thing too!

That's crazy Dane is already getting baptized this year. I remember when it was just Kathryn getting baptized! How exciting.

Kristin said...

Good quote and good timing for me to read it. Your ward is huge, no doubt.

Shaila Lou said...

I can't believe these kids will be 8 this year! Sniff!

I'm also very grateful that my kids love me despite my imperfections! Parenting is hard, and gets harder the older they get! :)