How Can the Gospel Help Me Be Happy?
:: The source and cause of true happiness are gospel through and obedience to eternal law.
:: Heavenly Father’s plan of happiness is designed to provide directions for His children, to help them become happy, and to bring them safely home to Him.
:: In this life we experience tenderness, love, kindness, happiness, sorrow, disappointment, pain, and even physical limitations in ways that prepare us to live again with our Father in Heaven. There are lessons we must learn and experiences we must have on earth.
:: You know what is right and what is wrong, and you have the responsibility to learn for yourself “by study and also by faith” (D&C 88:118) the things you should and should not do.
:: For your protection, I invite you to study and live more diligently the Savior’s gospel. We should not only live the gospel, but we should love living the gospel. As we do so, we will receive countless blessings, greater strength, and true happiness.
:: Obedience to the principles of the gospel invites the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost helps us to know, to understand and to live the teachings of Jesus Christ.
~Elder David A. Bednar March 2011 Friend
I haven't been unhappy really, I've just felt blah for a couple weeks now. Sure, I'm blaming most of it on the weather, especially this recent cold snap but there's more too it. We have been faithful with family scripture study (minus a tired 3 yr old, not sure when we'll add him though I know now is probably a good idea...) and also family prayer but what about me? That I have not been faithful in and surely it has something to do with my 'blahs'.
Our ward has challenged us to study the scriptures personally each day, study as a family each day, prayer twice a day personally and also twice a day as a family, have FHE weekly, prayerfully consider who we could invite to Savior of the World and after those basic, fundamental priciples we were told to expect miracles. Definitely nothing new here. I know I've heard this many times, weekly even, as I attend church yet somehow I let it slip. Here's to getting back to what I need to leave the 'blahs' behind and letting the gospel help me be happier.
10 comments:
thanks for this wonderful post!
We just had Stake Conference and we heard Neil Andersen and President Dieter F Uchtdorf. It was all of Nevada, parts of California and parts of Arizona. Nevada is in dire straits. Las Vegas Valley and surrounding areas are prompted to fast next Sunday for those unemployed/loosing their homes etc. But basically this was his message. The Gospel will bring us happiness amid all of life's crisis'. (physical, financial, mental etc) 15 minutes spent on preparing our little ones and youth for missions by exactly what you are doing Mel. It was a good conference.
Wow, what a great post! I absolutely love the Friend. So simple, and yet it hits the gospel principles perfectly. I cry every time I read it to my girls (Noelle now reads it aloud, she is sick of my emotions :)
We don't let Brody participate in our nightly scriptures and family prayer (we do it after he is in bed), it just makes it nicer for everyone involved :)
I need to work on "me" too. I am good at the "family" scriptures and prayers, but in doing that I let my own slip, and I can tell a difference. Thanks for the reminder.
I like this. Plain and simple. I like this and appreciate the message. I'm glad your presidency was late getting it to you this month :)
I was just reading that! Was The Friend really this awesome when we were kids? I think I'll keep subscribing after my kids are out of primary.
Yay to leaving the blahs behind, sometimes I forget that its a choice
This is so true for me also. I worry so much about everyone else getting the family stuff done that I let me slip through the cracks and I have been having these same blah's for quite a while now. It's hard to get out of it but I'm trying.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/68062454/spring-summer-2011aqua
Glad to see you stopped by my blog! Above is the link for the scarf on Etsy. I love them!
Good reminder for sure. It's easy to get out of the habit of reading and praying, but very important.
Great post, thanks for sharing it. I keep forgetting that I need to renew my subscriptions, so I think I will get on right now and do it.
We've had answers to prayer with feeling that there wasn't a right or wrong answer on what we should do, but that just Heavenly Father wanted us to be happy!
Post a Comment