Monday, October 03, 2011

The Plan All Along

When we moved here we still had our home in Old Town to sell and knew it wasn't going to be easy to get off of our hands. Thus the need for a rental and not a purchase those 20 months ago (really, that long??). We were looking for a place the month of December to move in New Year's Day and let me just say, it was not an easy time to find a rental. We found this one, smaller than we wanted but affordable just the same. Plus this home came with very nice landlords so we signed what they required, a year lease, and moved in.

The plan all along has been to look for a home to buy when our lease was up. We've been looking since late February/early March and haven't been blown away by anything. There is plenty outside of our price range to be blown away by but not where we are at right now. It's been more difficult to stay in the area we are already in and in that range so we've been patient. We found a house a couple weeks ago. It has another bedroom, a great yard and more room than we've ever lived in (still not very palatial, ha). It doesn't have a perfect layout (what does without a bunch more money?) but we both feel good about it and we are going forward. It's definitely time to not be renting with such great interest rates and we'd like to 'fit' in a home once this baby is born.

So even though this has been 'the plan all along', I'm still so sad to leave this house (the pregnancy hormones aren't helping with the tears). This house that isn't ours. That is too small. That has way too much pergo flooring with vaulted ceilings. That is loud and echoes every footstep. That is so close to the school the kids walk and are home in less than 15 minutes. That is on an amazing, long cul-de-sac. That has a separate room for me to do hair in. That is a few houses down from some amazing friends for both the kids and us.

I can't believe we are going to do this just weeks before my due date (hoping for somewhere around the 22nd of this month). Milo is the positive one in our relationship and thinks we will be just fine. I need his rose colored glasses. Maybe a couple pair, ha. I just don't like being limited. Of course I'll help pack but when it comes to carrying anything, the belly just wont allow much. Relying on others is hard for me. Especially when it comes to showing my unorganized, messy closets and cupboards that need help.

I just keep telling myself we can do this. Other people have left a street they loved and been fine. Other people have moved 9 months pregnant and been fine. Right? Right? Just say yes.

{One last great piece of news....it's more vacuuming that mopping once we move. I can't wait. I love to vacuum. And I hate to mop}

13 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh man. I feel your pain. The year we had Ande we moved twice. The last being on Thanksgiving weekend four weeks before she was born. I remember understanding Mary, the mother of Jesus, not knowing where she was going to lay him.

I'm sad you're leaving your safety net, but glad you're finding something more suitable. Who knows. It might be even BETTER.

Thinking of you.

::lindsay said...

It sounds like it's pretty bittersweet to be moving right now. I'm sure you will love your new place though. I'm so excited for your family. Take care and if you need anything, let me know!

Laurie said...

Sounds exciting, but stressful when you are pregnant! A new house will be fun...but no one can blame you one bit for being a little sad!

donna said...

Mel, where are you moving too?

Becky Noftle said...

you can do it--we moved a couple of weeks before Zoe was born, it was the funnest thing EVER!! Look forward to it! Don't let anyone see your messy closets but me. I'm coming and packing them myself. We can't let the whole world know how we Andersen's live.

Angie said...

moving is the worst! i can't imagine doing it pregnant. good luck, and i'm sure once you are in your new place it will all be worth it.

Kelley Gubler said...

We moved when i was 8 months prego and guess what? Everything was fine. i was freakin exhausted but who isnt 8 months pregnant moving or not. and as much as youll miss your old house youll loveyour new one even more. thats my advice :)

Melinda said...

You can do this! It's sounds hard, it would be hard to do all of that but you can definitely do it. My sister moved 9 months pregnant.

Chad and Jaycie said...

I am so excited for you guys! Not the moving at nine months part, but you have Reed to do all the hard work. We moved when I had morning sickness and that was miserable too, blech. Anyways, hope it goes well.

Heidi said...

Becky you crack me up!

You will be fine...look at all your friends and family that will help. I would if I lived closer! Dangit.

And yes, vacuuming is MUCH better. ;)

becca said...

Oh wow! Wow!! You will love having extra space...but doing it nine months pregnant sounds a little overwhelming!

I am super attached to the home we are in. It is too small, but I love it. I honestly don't know how I will leave it. I tell Brandon that every year we stay is only going to make it harder to leave (I do not do well with change! :)

I am thinking of you! I hope things are working out!

Marion said...

I have a feeling you'll have a host of angels helping you because you reap what you sow and you sow a lot for others. Change is good. It stretches us and shows us that all ends up being well. You're a gem, Mel. I'll do whatever I can for you. Love you.

Shaila Lou said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I hope all goes well and fast with the house and move. Love to you all!