Thursday, November 17, 2011

Six Days In

Today is my official due date. I'm so happy to be 6 days into Owen's life instead of in the hospital. Or in Labor. Or one day postpartum. Or even worse (shudder), over due. I feel the best I've ever felt 6 days out. It's a gift really because at 36, I thought I would feel much worse.

In the beginning of this pregnancy I thought of the birthday 11-11-11 and many people mentioned it along the way. Honestly, last week I could've cared less if I had missed it by one hour with the date 11-10-11 or 11-12-11. I would've been happy with any date as long as it was before my due date (I'm awful that way at the end of pregnancy). My mom, usually all gung ho for getting the baby here, kept saying don't push it. Relax. Make sure he's ready. Oh she wanted that birthday! I told my Dr I had no dreams of delivering on that day and he told me because I didn't care, I would deliver on that day (he said that 2 weeks before). The hospital was absolutely nuts that day with people striving for that birthday. 14 babies were born and many were sent away (poor women). All I was striving for was to finish the pregnancy months with baby in hand, no matter the date. But now that it's all said and done, it is a pretty cool birthday.

The birth story. (Mixed with out of order photos)

Last Thursday, the Dr. stripped my membranes sure that I was ready to go into labor. I was 'almost a 4' and was having contractions off and on for days beforehand. He said once I felt them close enough I could head into the hospital. Milo came home from work, we summoned Marion to come down and went shopping (walking). We walked Fred Meyer and Shopko and more than once I had to sit down and stall during some contractions. But at that point I was determined to not stay pregnant. We met Marion at the house, got the kids home from school and ate dinner at PF Changs (I'd like lettuce wraps right now). I was ready to walk Costco but Milo was ready to head into the hospital. Funny how the one not feeling the pain is ready and willing to sign you up for the IV and hard labor, ha. Contractions were about 7 minutes apart and the last thing I wanted was to be sent home. I decided I was too tired for Costco and we drove down to the hospital around 7pm.

The contractions had gotten as close as 5 minutes apart but started stalling. The nurses didn't want to keep me, I was not ready to go home so my Dr said to walk for 30 minutes and hope for some change. I walked like a crazy lady with the ugliest pink robe on for 40 minutes hoping for some change. The Dr also joked that whenever I saw a nurse in the hall I needed to brace myself on the wall, look miserable and make sad faces. Ha! Thank heavens I changed enough and the nurse gave me the good news, I wasn't going home.

They got me checked into a room and let me labor for awhile longer. It was well into the night (2am or so) when I got my epidural and instead of breaking my water at that time, they let us 'sleep' until morning. The nap was much needed.

Milo went home, showered, picked up a babysitter and brought his mom back for the main event. The Dr came in just before 7am and broke my water. Things were moving much faster at this point. This was my first labor that they didn't use pitocin to induce labor (Nathan and Dane) or to coax the slow contractions along (Reed). Really, all of it on my own. Almost unbelievable to me.

{going home outfit from Marion}

Once I was complete, the nurse had me push once and told me to stop (worst feeling ever). She called for the Dr stat. He didn't come and didn't come. She had Milo pull the emergency cord and that brought 3 more people rushing in yet still no Dr. The babies heart rate dropped considerably, he was in distress and was ready to be born. I'm so grateful I had a veteran nurse that knew what she was doing, she gave me the go ahead for one more push and he was born sans Dr. Actually he walked into the room just after Owen was born. Nurse Trish should be making the big bucks, ha.

It took the 24+ hours we were in the hospital to name this sweet baby. I have no idea why it's so hard for Milo and I but we struggled this time around. Fourth boy I guess. His name seems to fit him perfectly already. He's had one bad night that was crazy. He cried for close to 3 hours, I have never, ever had a baby cry like that. Milo, Marion and I were all in the family room until close to 3 am trying to calm him. So glad it was only one night (I think he was starving).

The other night I watched him after he finished eating. He had his eyes closed and just kept smiling over and over. I don't really care why he was doing it (most say gas), I just know it made me feel so grateful to be where we are. I got teary eyed watching him, glad I took those quiet moments to sit and watch him. I know how fast they are going to go. What a blessing it is to have him here, healthy and strong. Life's biggest miracle.

Today~

Six days old. Adorable. Darling. Precious.

And stealing my heart more every day.

12 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a wonderful read to wake up to! He is so absolutely beautiful. I loved the story. Thank you for recording it.

I can't believe how incredible you look in that picture in the hospital. How DO you do it?

I'm just so excited for you. I'm so glad he's here. I'm so glad all is well. He must have a birthday like 11-11-11 or something.

donna said...

SO cute. : )

Leisha said...

Emma and Nora love looking at pictures of baby Owen! He is so cute! I'm so glad everything went well, and that you didn't need to be sent home! Give lots of kisses to that sweet baby for us!

Heidi said...

I didn't know the doctor didn't even deliver him!!! The nerve! Thank goodness for good nurses! He's growing up so much since his hospital pictures. And you are lucky his crying through the night was only 3 hours. That's good for my kids! ha! Preston cried for the entire night- inconsolable- my Mom was up with me. NOT FUN! So I would take 3 hours. haha! Can't wait to see him next week!

Leisha said...

okay Emma wanted to look at this again and she said "ohhh...he's cuter then Nora." hahaha! She's in love with litte Owen!

Barb said...

He is Beautiful! Congratulations, I never had a pitocin free labor.

Kristin said...

Love all the pictures, such a cute baby.

Melinda said...

It is crazy that the dr still gets paid even though he didn't deliver him. The nurse really should get that money.

He is absolutely adorable! He is so darn cute! He reminds me a little of Ryan when he was born, he had all of that brown hair and we would mohawk it also. I am so happy for you!

My sister in law had her triplets on 9/9/09.

Angie said...

he is just soooo adorable!!

The Gang said...

I see a mini Milo! Congrats!

becca said...

Holy cow! That is quite a birth story! And I have to say he is one cute baby! I just want to kiss that darling face. Oh I love the newborn phase...it goes so fast

Dustin and Tara said...

Melanie he is adorable!!!!