Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday Thoughts

--I woke up and fed Owen at 4am-ish this morning and felt a cold sore coming on. Yuck. By morning, even with an application of medicine, it tripled in size. Abreva makers are scam artists, it didn't work. My lip is swollen and the cold sore is nearly the size of Texas. I purposely didn't wear makeup today. What's the point. I can't cover it up and I don't want tainted makeup. A definite ugly day.

--Speaking of pictures, I'm not in enough of them with baby Owen. Need to remedy that as soon as the cold sore is gone.

--We jaunted to Costco today. The infant car seat doesn't fit in the top of their carts so everything was stuffed around Owen's seat and next to Reed. We ran into my Aunt Sunni and talked until her friend called her from the front of the store checking on her status. It was great to run into her, we had some good laughs. I loved that when I saw her I could run right up and give her a hug instead of ducking into a different isle and hiding with my Texas sized cold sore.

--Owen must be advanced for his age (cough, cough) because he's *this close* to getting his thumb full time. It's 2 months sooner than Reed found his and 3+ months sooner than Dane found his. People find me down right crazy in that I actually encourage him to find it. It's a frustrating state for both of us right now. He wants to suck, doesn't really love the binki and definitely wants his thumb even though it's still hard for him to keep it in there. Look how cute he was before church yesterday as he waited patiently while I put my makeup on.

--I mopped 2 bathrooms and the kitchen today. Worst job ever. I seriously hate mopping. I'd rather fold laundry, clean a toilet or go grocery shopping. None of which rank really high on my list either.

--But today, look who begged to help me. Literally begged. So instead of a stellar mopping job, we got a sub par job that was much more fun and entertaining.

--Every time he pushed the mop, he raised his eyebrows (it was harder to push than he thought). I had Pandora playing loudly and he was singing along to 'Defying Gravity' from Wicked. We may or may not listen to the Glee Pandora channel often and that song plays a lot. I wish I could get him to sing it for people but he gets embarrassed. Just imagine, 'Defiiiiiii ying Gwaaaa vity'. It's adorable.

--Every other week one of the kids plans our Family Home Evening lesson. Every week Reed thinks he needs to welcome us (he calls it Flamly Home Evening) and conduct the music (dance around crazy). Tonight it was Dane's turn for the lesson. He chose to tell us the story of Daniel and the Lion's Den (no prompting from mom or dad). He read to us, showed us a picture and told us that we needed to keep prayer in our lives and be faithful like Daniel.

--After his lesson, he asked us to act out the story. Dane was Daniel. I was King Darius. Milo was the wicked men. Kathryn was the angel. Nathan and Reed were the lions. When Kathryn closed the lion's mouths, Nathan and Reed were silent little lions. But, when we decided to finish the story and throw the wicked 'men' into the den, those lions roared right up. Milo braced himself, he knew those lions meant business. 'Daniel' made a quick change into a third lion and Kathryn and I sat and laughed at the attack. We ended the night reading about the two thousand stripling warriors and had smoothies as a treat.

--Today I read this article, His Grace is Sufficient by Brad Wilcox. I usually ignore links/articles posted on Facebook, much of them a waste of even more of my time. But not this one. I'm so glad I took the time to read this article. What an excellent, must read for everyone (well, in my opinion at least). I doubt you'll regret it.... go read it!

11 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I just love it when you post Melanie.

Owen is so cute and I was so glad when Ande found her fingers, too.

I love the family night lesson. What a great, great lesson.

That talk was incredible. Thank you for adding the link. I went and read it and so appreciated it. I will send it on.

So good to hear from you. Thank you for posting more often.

Kristin said...

Ditto to what Jane said, except I didn't have a thumb baby. Just frustrated babies or pacifier babies.

Lucy said...

Hope your cold sore goes away fast.

I need pictures of me with Daniel too. It's hard to do when I haven't showered that day.

I read that article in byu magazine this morning. Then saw it on your Facebook and linked it too. Everyone should read it. Everyone.

becca said...

Oh Melanie....he is so sweet and cute. You really have the cutest little boys! I can't believe how big Reed is. man time flies by!

I read that article too. It is amazing!

Dustin and Tara said...

Your baby is so cute! Did you ever find material to make the blankets we were looking at? It looks like he is in one? Or did you end up just buying them?

Melinda said...

That is such a cute picture of Owen!

My girls both sucked their thumbs and I loved it. They slept better than the boys. Both girls quit sucking their thumbs when I quit nursing, I got really lucky.

::lindsay said...

Cute picture! He is an adorable baby!

Sounds like you had a great FHE too.

Thanks for sharing that article. I agree, everyone should read it. It is very well written.

Glad you are doing so well!

Amy said...

Your kids are so cute! Really! I think you have some of the cutest babies around. But you already knew that, right?

If you liked that article, you should check out his book The Continuous Atonement. It's that talk but meatier. I've read it three times and have no intention of stopping there!

donna said...

cute pictures.

Marion said...

Great post! Cute kids! Good Mommy! And that article is even better when you listen to it. Loved it!

Shaila Lou said...

Cute thumb sucker!

So you have stainless steel appliances! Our new place does too, and they drive me nuts, because they always have finger/hand prints, streaks and such. Unless I clean them every second of the day that is! Do you have probs with that? I know they have some different type ones.