
Last Sunday (1/15), marked 10 years since the passing of Milo's dad. A decade. Life indeed marches on and at quite a pace too. Some days have sped by, some have crawled and yet when put together the years flew. Nathan was Owen's age (6 days older to be exact) the year Ken died and I can still remember that day with a 2 month old Nathan very well. I looked at Nathan, then Owen and back again (with tears of course) and tried to imagine all I've missed or taken for granted in the last 10 years. It's sobering really. I have a greater resolve to enjoy my family right. now. I know I'll miss more in the next 10 years but I dearly hope not as much.

Monday our 'Family Home Evening' was mostly devoted to the middle part of getting the boys Pinewood Derby cars ready. Nathan's last car, Dane's first. I say middle part because they were already cut out and sanded (first part) yet they weren't finished until Wednesday night right before weigh in. Every year we remember why we say, don't leave these until the last couple days. And this year Milo had
two cars to worry about. Reed definitely felt like he was part of the action with his safety goggles on. Kat did redeem us a bit by having a lesson on prayer. I'm sure Milo was praying for the cars to make it down the track, ha.

We've had snow, freezing rain and more snow this week. The kids had late start on Wednesday (the worst day of weather) and school was cancelled Thursday and Friday. I'm not sure the weather has been that bad other than on Wednesday but it seems the snow removal equipment is lacking in these parts. Milo's work was cancelled both of those days too so we have been having lots of family time. We've made cookies twice (delish), homemade pretzels (again, delish) and bread (so-so). The kids have stayed up late and Milo and I have gotten hooked on Downton Abbey (a Masterpiece Theater show on PBS you must watch, it's
so good!) We have Monday off for Staff Development day too so today we are in the middle of a 5 day weekend. It has definitely felt like some sort of unscheduled winter break.

I bought a $9 blow up sled I knew wouldn't last for the kids to sled down our driveway. Worth every penny. Our driveway is pretty steep and they had a blast. I even convinced Milo to join them for a few turns. I think he was just the sled puller, the kids loved it.

Dane was at a friend's house so we took another photo when he got home and they went
back outside. Milo couldn't be convinced this time though, it was only 22 degrees and still snowing. The kids did snack while they were out there. They broke icicles off of the house, dipped them in snow and licked it all off. Kind of like nature's Fun Dip?

Nathan had figured out if he helps with the manual labor outside he gets out of dishes and sweeping. I leaned out the front door to take his picture and Milo came up behind and copied Nathan's pose. Pretty sure Milo is grateful for such a willing helper. That is until he quits early.

The constant scene this week that will greet you at the front door. Yesterday Milo took them sledding at an elementary school near our house. They've never been sledding down a big hill before and they loved it. I was bummed I couldn't go but didn't really want to sit in the van with Owen. So he napped and I lazed around and cleaned up a bit. They had a great time and came home hungry and cold. We coaxed Reed down for a nap knowing he'd need it with the Pinewood Derby that night. Milo 'checked' on him and didn't need coaxing whatsoever to take a nap with him.

Last night was
the Pinewood Derby. In the 'fun' of getting the cars ready I realized we will attend 11 such races. Eleven! This will be our only year of overlapping cub scouts. What fun that will be. Dane was so excited. He wanted his car to look like a pickup.

And Nathan chose his to look like a wedge. Nate picked orange and Dane blue making us look like either Boise or Denver fans. The way they chose to set up the races this year made it so the boys didn't actually race very many times. It was still a wild night and I wasn't too sad to see it end at 8:30. Third one down, eight more to go.
8 comments:
What a week. Next year I will hang out with Owen and you can sled. Love all that snow! That's how I like it, in a photo. Good job boys on the Pinewood Derby!
Great update. I'm with you on all of those pinewood derbys. It's a lot!
P.S. Yes. I am a big fan of Downton Abbey. I look forward to Sundays!
I am going to have to check Downtown Abbey out.
Ten years. Wow. So much has happened. I loved reading how some days crawled and some went fast but in the end they flew. Funny you have Owen the same age as Dane just ten years apart.
I take it you didn't get your hair cut. I'm bummed because we couldn't come down to the temple. We're both wishing we were in the other's shoes I think.
I thought of going sledding the other day and then thought, "Now THAT would be stupid. I just don't think you'd recover from a spill like you think you would."
this snow has been crazy, so glad that it's melting. I'm ready for summer....
How glorious to have 2 days off school to play in the snow and hibernate at home!! I always wish that would happen here but it NEVER has!
You are the 4th person to mention that show! Love the pictures and updates. Sweet thoughts on ten years. Thanks for the cookies, you're very sweet.
I need to start watching that show! Everyone is talking about it.
Your break from life sounds so good. We bake a lot on our breaks also.
What a handsome hubby you have there! Love that last pic of Milo! And what a great dad to play in the snow when so cold and deal with the pics! :)
Post a Comment