Thursday, July 19, 2012

Soothing Lullaby??

 The summer we were married Milo insisted I learn the family 'lullaby' (which is really no lullaby). He said his dad would test me on it and make me sing it when we were up at Twin Lakes. Milo sang it to me and coached me on it the few weeks leading up to our vacation and with many times over, I memorized it. I was pretty proud once I knew both verses and the chorus. I was honestly nervous his dad would make me sing it, he liked to play jokes and be silly, but he never did. I had even planned out my performance, ha!

 The song comes from Milo's uncle Milo singing the song to his Milo's dad Ken as a kid. That's where the tradition started. Ken then sang it to Milo and siblings and now it's onto our kids. Milo has sung this song to the kids literally countless times. I sing it too (thanks to my lessons 12 years ago) and after all this time it still cracks me up when I sing it and listen to the words. It almost feels wrong as it is definitely not a soothing lullaby. They sure love this bedtime song though and we keep singing it. Reed is a big fan of it right now (I think the others were at his age too). Sometimes I substitute pickles or bananas for sausages and Reed laughs and laughs.

I wont scare the audience with my own singing so you might not know the tune. Go ahead and make your own up....


Johnny Rebeck

One day a little fat man came walking in the store.
He bought a pound of sausages and laid them on the floor.
He began to whistle,  he whistled a merry tune.
And all the little sausages danced around the room.

Now, Mr. and Mrs. Johnnie Rebeck,
How could you be so mean?
I told you you'd be sorry for inventing that machine.
All the neighbors' cats and dogs
Will nevermore be seen,
They've all been ground to sausages
In Johnnie Rebeck's machine.

One day the machine got broken, the darned thing wouldn't go.
So Johnnie Rebeck, he stepped inside to see what made it so.
His wife was having a nightmare, walking in her sleep,
She gave the crank a heck of a yank and Johnnie Rerbeck was meat.

 Now, Mister and Misses Johnnie Rebeck,
How could you be so mean?
I told you you'd be sorry for inventing that machine.
All the neighbors' cats and dogs
Will nevermore be seen,
They've all been ground to sausages
In Johnnie Rebeck's machine.
(I love the graphic I found to go with this post, a dancing sausage! Thanks Google.)

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Next time I see you, I am definitely asking you to sing it. Pleeeassee.

Granny DeeAnn said...

It's quite the lullaby!

Laurie said...

So great. My boys would love this one. We took on a lullaby from my husbands' family too. Probably a more well known one, which is actually quite sad - Babes in the Woods.