Last night was a little rough in the sleep department. Owen has been fighting a stuffy nose, diaper rash and pain from those darn teeth. He was up a few times last night with a fever and was just all around uncomfortable. After the third time at 5:45am, I left him in bed with me (I was dead!). An hour or so later when I looked at the clock and it was nearing 7, I heard a very distinct voice say,
'Oh, love effulgent, love divine!
What debt of gratitude is mine.'
Right away I knew it was a hymn and I was saying it/singing it with the right tune but for the life of me in my half awake state, I couldn't remember the name. I sang those lines over and over while I was becoming more awake but it bugged me that I couldn't figure it out the song.
Still in bed, I grabbed the iPad and googled the lines I was repeating over and over. Thank you Google, the words are from Hymn #187, God Loved Us, So He Sent His Son. I'm not sure why I didn't remember the name of the hymn even though I recognized the tune. It's one of my favorite sacrament hymns (tiredness maybe?). I had heard the first two lines of verse three from the Spirit and when I read the next two lines, they meant just as much to me.
'That in his off’ring I have part
And hold a place within his heart.'
I was humbled to have such a personal, tender mercy so early (for me anyway) on a Sunday morning after such a long night of interrupted sleep. What a gift to have that reminder. The first part of my tender mercy.
Backing up a bit, when I googled the lyrics, the name of the song wasn't listed on the first link, just the words I searched were. I did a quick scan and clicked on the second link for the lyrics. A little while later, I looked back at the first link and that's when I felt the second part of this personal tender mercy. The first site listed was a talk by Jeffery R Holland from 1989 titled, He Loved Them unto the End. I had just read that talk Wednesday or Thursday of last week (it's good by the way, click on the link). That verse is written at the very end of Elder Holland's talk just before he closes.
Which leads me to how much my Father in Heaven really knows me. He knew I read that talk last week. He knew I was in need of a tender mercy this morning. He knew I would somehow connect the voice I heard this morning to the talk I read last week (probably would've taken longer without Google). He knew all of that.
![]() |
| Thank you Pinterest |
Life is hard. Life is humbling. Life is full of trials and challenges. But.... I always, always, always have something to be thankful for.

5 comments:
How wonderful, thanks for posting this.
SO thankful for Tender Mercy....
Wonderful post.
I love you Melly!
I love you.
Thanks Melanie, that was awesome!
Post a Comment