Thursday, August 09, 2012

Sick Lady

 My mom has been up here in Washington for two weeks but I haven't been posting any fun business with her because she has been sick, really sick, for the entire time she's been here.  Boo.

She might kill me for this photo but I'm risking it. This was after 4 days in the ICU and things were starting to look up for her and some color came back, whew. She hasn't been on the computer for almost the whole two weeks as well so maybe I can bury this post before she sees it, ha.

She had an infection that was resistant to the antibiotic she was on and was in septic shock by the time she went (not too willingly I might add) to the hospital. Not. good. From there it's been one problem to the next. Acute kidney failure, stent placement to drain said kidney, super low blood pressure, anemia, fluid retention to the tune of 35 lbs, an abscess on her kidney, you name it! She spent 5 days in ICU and has been on the regular floor 3 days now.

We've gone and seen her a few times and it's a little like a visiting circus but one she's happy to see and spend time with. Thankfully! Nathan was with a friend today so we were a man down this visit. Her room had an isolation sign this visit so it was wash hands, gloves and gowns for all of us. At first the kids thought it was kind of fun but after a minute or so, not so much. The boys really, Kat was a dream in her isolation gear.

 Reed's biggest complaint was that he 'looked like a girl'. He was really bothered by the gown. Until my mom offered him her Diet 7-up, then he didn't mind anymore.

Reed looks like he's getting ready for a procedure here. He was funny with the gloves and wore 3 sets in a matter of 2 minutes, oops. The best part of this visit- when I talked to her later she said 5 minutes after we left they took the isolation sign down. Too many gloves and gowns at once??

We are hopefully that she will be home by the end of the weekend. I'm pretty sure she's had enough hospital food to last a long time. She is definitely looking and feeling much better than she did a week ago. She's had lots of visitors, calls and prayers said in her behalf and all of us have been very grateful for them. One of my little activity day girls (I had to cancel last week so they knew my mom was sick) even fasted for her on Sunday, isn't that precious??

Get better mom/grandma there's some shopping to be done, school is just around the corner!

4 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

If you saved those gowns and gloves you won't have to come up with one Halloween costume (Nathan can be the patient)!

Glad she's turning a corner. What a long week.

Heidi said...

I'm hoping she's good enough to get out of there soon! What a long stay! Thank goodness for modern medicine to save us!

Kristin said...

Glad she is making a turn for the better!

Dustin and Tara said...

I hope your Mom gets better soon!

I enjoy reading all your updates on your cute family!