Saturday, October 13, 2012

Back Up Badger

Today we ventured back up Badger Mountain. We took a different, shorter trail and it was killer compared to the switchback side we hiked before (I'm now calling that my favorite side!). My dogs are barking, ha. We hiked with friends and that made the hike worth it, bearable and fun despite the much harder climb. Lindsay and kids were in town to hike the mountain, take care of some birthday shopping, get some hair done and let the kids play to their hearts content. Success on all accounts!

 Halfway up we make them stop for a photo. There were some dark clouds rolling in and the moms weren't going to be too sad if the rain turned us around. It sprinkled enough to mess with my hair but not enough to get muddy shoes or turn around. Notice I only have 3 kids? My amazing friend Kris kept Reed and Owen for me. It was so perfect. I text her to see if I could manage a jogger up that side and when she told me no (I'll add NO WAY!), she offered to keep the boys. What a friend, huge thanks Kristin!

 Getting closer. They liked this rock bench and welcomed a break. I'm so glad Reed wasn't with us on this side, he's no light weight and dragging him up or down I'm afraid would have brought me to tears.

 Lindsay and her kids at the top. Sidney, Tyler, Joel, Vanessa

 It was pretty windy. When the wind picked up and whipped around, it was cool and crisp. When the breeze died down, it was hot and sweaty. The jackets were off and on a few times. I much preferred the cool and crisp.

 It is a very pretty view, my little camera doesn't do it justice.

The end. We parted ways for a couple hours after the hike. The boys love playing together so I took her two, went and picked up my other two and went home with a van full of 6 boys. Lindsay took Kat and her two girls and went to the mall and Costco. You might think she got the better end of the deal but I was coming home to sit. I didn't even care that 6 boys were in tow!

I decided to brave a stop at the store to grab a couple things for dinner. The 'looks' started before we even made it into the store. That could have been in part because Nathan was yelling, 'this huge pumpkin is SIXTY-NINE DOLLARS!' It may as well have said $500 in his eyes. The stop at the store went much smoother than I anticipated. Good boys. All of Lindsay's kids love Owen and fight for 'their turn'. Joel wanted to carry him into the store for me and Owen is always game. I love that you can see him smiling under his binki. 

We came home and the big boys watched The Sandlot upstairs and the little boys played the Wii. Owen took a nap and I crashed onto the couch. 

We ate dinner, I cut and colored Lindsay's hair, the kids played game after game (football, tag, baseball, etc) outside in the light rain and finally settled onto Netflix after we forced them in at dark-thirty. I convinced Lindsay to color her hair and wanted it to be my treat. She wanted to treat me to a pair of jeans for doing her hair. We're a funny pair. Once everyone was settled, we ran over to the store to look for some jeans (no success) or a shirt (success). When I couldn't find jeans she convinced me to get a shirt, scarf and necklace. I'm grateful for such a wonderful friend and not because she bought me some clothes.

The kids were so good while we were gone. No fighting, just vegging on the couch. I'm sure hoping after such a long, physical day of fun they will sleep in. Crossing my fingers!

p.s. How many times can you spot the Columbia River Temple?

5 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a great hike! Your day sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you didn't have Reed with you, he might have made you laugh once or twice but you would have had to pay for it!

I found the temple in three of the pictures. Did I miss it once or twice? The pictures of you and your kids and Lindsay and her kids are so great. You guys look terrific.

You guys have such a great friendship and it's perfect your kids match up so well. What a fun perk in life.

By the way, I love your new profile picture. You look so pretty.

Heidi said...

I want to hike Badger mtn sometime we are there! Looks like fun and what great views up there.

That's nice you guys have each other to spoil one another with your talents. haha! How fun to have a friend like that.

donna said...

Hiking Badger mtn is always fun....

Melinda said...

I need to take more advantage of all of the hikes here in Payson. I just don't think of it. My friend Megan's kids match up perfectly with my kids and it makes getting together so much more fun.

Kristin said...

So glad everything worked out and you had a great day!