Saturday, October 20, 2012

RS/YW 5K and More

 Really it was the- 'Relief Society/Young Woman (Kat being the only one) *nearly* 5K' (it was 1/2 mile short because of city rules). When Kat first saw the flyers, she told me she wished she was 12 so she could run too. She will be 12 in a mere 3.5 weeks and I told her it would be no biggie, of course she could participate. Not many kids I know will jump up and down at the chance to run a 5K on a Saturday morning but she did.

 She was so happy to be out running. I didn't even try to keep up with her, that would've been a huge mistake. My 'run' went more like.....short jog, walk, walk, walk, short jog followed by more walking. It was a great morning to be out running like Kat or walk, walk, jogging like me.

 Here she is lapping me on her way back. She came in 5th of 48 women. What a girl! I came in uh, 48th. I thought more people would walk, walk, jog the whole way but apparently they all turned around for the 2 mile walk. I probably should've followed the pack of walkers and turned around but I was enjoying my quite time outside. It felt good to be exercising, I should do it more often. Oh well, a bonus of coming in last? Kat came back to meet me on the path and finished the last bit with me. She even said I had to run across the finish line so I did. She loves to cheer people on.

 First place finisher in her age group. She was a little let down because she was the only one in her age group. She likes to beat people when she's running, ha. We had a good time this morning and I'm glad we went together (I can't say ran together!) instead of cleaning or laundry at home. I'm so blessed to have Kat in my life. It took us quite some time to hit our stride as mother/daughter but we persevered. She is such a good example to me. She smiles, works hard and never gives up. Plus there are days she can really make me laugh, another bonus. What a great girl.
.
I missed Dane's game because of the run with Kat but after lunch we hit up Nathan's game (he's the goalie in red). It looks much nicer than it felt on the sidelines. Brrr. It was crisp and with the wind, it was down right cold. We had some blankets to huddle up in and it made me grateful only one weekend of soccer left this fall season.

I tried taking more than one picture but this guy wasn't really cooperating. Look at that hand trying to grab my camera. He is either teething again or he is on the verge of a cold. He was extra clingy, whiny and tired today. He wanted to be held a lot and when I tried to put him down, he pulled his legs up and wrapped them around my waist. I took that as his way of saying, 'Oh no you don't, I want what I want and you're giving it to me!'. I found it to be adorable and smothering all at once.

I've been working on repainting an old dresser for two weeks. It started out as something fun and exciting but the project has lost it's charm. I dread finishing it. I haven't parked in the garage for 2 weeks, I've made a huge mess and I'm not very motivated to finish it. I go out there and just look at it, not too productive. I'm almost there, hopefully Monday. I'll post the before and after, the change is a good one. I thought I'd paint two more tables but that's probably not a good idea unless I want a couple more weeks out of the garage! I'm adding repainting/redoing furniture to the list of things not in my strong suit. Or just a big work in progress, ha.

4 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh, I loved this post on Kat. I hope you recognize that she picked up the strong points that you admire in her from you -- works hard, never quits, and is happy. What a great thing to pass on to a daughter. I'm so glad the two of you hit your stride.

Good for you for walk, walk, walk, jogging. Good for you for coming in 48th. (By the way, that is a good turnout!)

Hope Owen gets back to being happy soon. Tell Kat to work her happy magic on him.

Heidi said...

Kathryn is such a good girl. That's awesome she is so dedicated to running. She better do cross country or track or something! Good for you for doing it with her. :)

I want to see pics of the dresser. You were SO motivated (bee in your bonnet motivated) but yeah then once you do it and realize the work it's not so much fun. haha! Hang in there and finish it b/c it will be beautimous in your house!

Laurie said...

You are right - so blessed to have her. I dream of having a daughter, and one like that would be major icing on the cake.

Painting and refinishing would not be my strong point either. It took me all weekend to paint some shelves for the kids. What I thought would take an hour took waaaay longer, and it was a small project. Definitely not my thing, but still something to try and be proud of, right? :)

Kristin said...

Way to go Kat and Melanie!