Monday, February 11, 2013

For Now

For now I don't want to say much more than the facts and a few of my thoughts.

Milo and I are getting divorced. It physically hurts to say it out loud and write it here but I want to start healing and moving forward. I want to feel lighter than I do now. This past year has been a heavy one. I never believed I would be in this position 13 years ago when we married (seriously, who would?). Hands down, I would have told you that I would never be divorced. I married for eternity, end of story. When I wrote this post on December 27th, I never believed I'd be writing one like this on February 11th. I'll probably write more another time but I do want to say this~ I love Milo and I am grateful for the years we have had together. I love the man I married in the Seattle Temple and I know our decision to marry was the right one. I love the family we have created together. I would not have the family I do without him. What a blessing our marriage has been. I mourn the loss of what was to be but that doesn't mean all the good in my life is gone. I still have so much to be thankful for.

My Savior loves me and knows me by name. He knows of my heartache and sadness. He's felt and suffered through my personal pain (and yours!). He sacrificed His life for me and knows I am of infinite worth (you too!). My Heavenly Father knows my weaknesses and even still, He blesses me and strengthens me in countless ways. He loves me unconditionally too. I cannot do this alone and I'm so grateful that is not His plan because I would fail. He wants me to call on Him and pray for His help. He wants to guide me back home. He wants me to be with Him again and I want that too.

I get weepy when I realize all I have been entrusted with- a daughter of God and four sons of God. Five kids! On hard days, I work to remind myself how many blessings there are in my life. Some days it's easy to get out of that fog and other days it's quite difficult. My family is going to be defined differently (in a way I never wanted) but we are still an eternal family. That's a truth I always remember.

I love Kathryn. I'm grateful for her kind heart and careful obedience. She rarely questions 'the right way' and she knows she will be blessed by choosing to follow God's plan.

I love Nathan. I'm grateful for his honesty and his love for the underdog. I'm grateful for his protective nature and how he watches out for his siblings (after he asserts his strength that is...).

I love Dane. I'm grateful for his tender, tender heart and his silly personality. I'm grateful for his brain full of ideas and his giving nature (he gave me $5 for taking him to a hockey game Friday night. I don't want to keep it but he's insistent. I think I'll sneak it back in his bank in a couple weeks).

I love Reed. I'm grateful for his tell-it-like-it-is personality (today he told me my breath smelled and the other day he talked about visiting me 'when I laid Owen'...as in gave birth to him, ha!). I'm grateful for his laughter and jokes too, he can cheer anyone right up. He's a great little companion during the day.

I love Owen. I'm grateful for the perfect timing of his birth and for the absolute bright spot he has been in my life this past year. Without him, there were many days I would've struggled to get out of bed. I believe the Lord knew how very much I needed him. What a precious blessing. Those eyes! I love those eyes too.

I have a beautiful family and I love them with all my heart.

17 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Melanie, my heart aches for your broken heart. I love your view of the big picture and how you never take your eyes off of it even when they're filled with tears. I love that you are such an incredible mom and will walk through hell and back to teach, love, protect, and provide for your kids. I love that you give and give and give some more even when you're in the middle of your own pain.

I just plain love you.

(I love each one of those pictures and the snippet you wrote about each child, too.)

Melinda said...

Melanie, I am so so sorry. My heart is so heavy and just aches for you and your kids. I am amazed at your strength and faith that you have.

This is when blogging is hard! It is so hard not to be able to run over and give you a hug or be able to come and help you! I will pray for you and try to always have a prayer in my heart for you.

These picture of you and the kids are so beautiful and I love what you wrote about each of them. I truly pray that the Lord will continue to bless you with tender mercies and peace.

Rachel said...

Oh Melanie, what a beautiful, beautiful post! I don't know how many could beat it. Thank you for sharing something so intimate. It's amazing how much it can soften even a heart like mine.
Much love to you.

donna said...

I'm here for you.
BIG hugs..

Barbie said...

:( Oh Melanie, I seriously can't imagine, but I know that you are definitely looking in the right place for your strength. Your kids are lucky to have a mom who is solid and faithful to the Lord--and you are lucky to have them! I'm sorry that you are hurting :( I will pray for you and your family.

Lucy said...

I'm so sorry for your grief. I think your expressions of faith and love are beautiful and I wish I were nearby to give you a hug and share some chocolate and go on walks and take care of the babies.

Big hugs to you and those adorable children.

Chandra said...

We had a wonderful RS activity tonight and the lady that spoke to us ended with this quote from George Q Cannon; "No matter how serious the trial, how deep the affliction, God will never desert us. He never has, and He never will. He cannot do it. It is not His character to do so....We may pass through the fiery furnace: we may pass through deep waters: but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from these trials and difficulties the better and purer for them, if we only trust in our God and keep his commandments." This may be my new favorite quote. I admire your strength and your testimony. I am so glad that you have seen the tender mercies of the Lord through these trials. I love you Mel.

Barbie said...

I was just working on my Beth Moore study on James tonight. This was one of the verses. I immediately thought of you.

James 1:12

12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

Vicki Sabin said...

I want to 'like' Jane Payne's comment. Melanie, you are strong, you are brave, you are funny, you are spiritual, you are a good mom and a good person. I love you.

Laurie said...

I am so sorry Melanie. I truly, truly am. I know there is a lot of grief. Your words, testimony are jumping of the page with light and truth. I hope you will feel the lightening, lifting strength of the Savior as you go through this experience. I know some of the most strong, wonderful women on the planet have to go through this experience. I am confident that the Lord is watching over and has many blessings in store.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Oh how I love ALL of my babies.

Heidi said...

I want to like janes comment too! You are so strong and I know it's because Heavenly Father is strengthening you. You have good kids and I know they will be a big help to you. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hugs!

Brenda said...

I love you!

Holly said...

Love you so VERY MUCH Mel!! Your strength inspires me. I love your kids too. Prayers are constantly being sent your way. Keep smiling!!

Holly said...

Ditto EVERYTHING everyone said!!

Julie said...

Oh Melanie,

My heart ached for you and your family while I read your post. However, I LOVE your outlook and I know you are one incredibly amazing strong lady. Sending (((HUGS))) from me to you! You are an inspiration to all!

Jill said...

You are a strong woman Melanie! I love the things you wrote and wish you all the best!