Saturday, February 16, 2013

Week in Pictures

To start with, I have to say thank you for all the kind comments on my last post. It was difficult to write but I'm glad I wrote it. I'm grateful for loving friends and family. So grateful. I know people are put in our paths for a reason, I'm grateful you're in mine! There are days I struggle and days I feel strong. I say that to recognize I still have a long road ahead with healing and recovery but I will get there. Even if it's one step forward a couple back for the time being. I know eventually it will be three steps forward, one step back. When I have hard days, when I make choices I'm not proud of or when I cry more than I'd like, I still remember that I wont let this break me. I have more thoughts on this for another post but I know I will get through this one hour/day/week/month/year at a time. Thanks for the love and support. It means the world to me.


Onto a long picture overload~

Last Friday I took the two older boys to a hockey game. They've always wanted to go but it's not something we've ever done. The PTA was having a fundraiser and the tickets were less than half the normal price. Dane was the one that really pushed getting to the game.

 Kat had no interest in going and I had no interest in taking the younger two. She had plans to babysit with a friend here at the house but that fell through so she hung out with my mom once the little boys were in bed. She played with her friend the next day so all was well.

Halfway through the third period they play 'Cotton Eye Joe'. Those either young enough not to care or old enough to have consumed enough alcohol, take their shirts off and swing them around while they play the song. This was way out of Nathan's comfort zone (notice him half standing) but he's also not one to be left out. They think it's one of the funniest things they've ever done. They've relived this many times in the last week. We were losing and I suggested we leave 2 minutes early. They weren't having it and good thing too, they witnessed a really big fist fight with a minute left in the game. They loved it.

Kathryn has been doing little acts of service for all of us this past week. She left me this note that she had colored with Reed. Reed was so proud of the happy face he drew of me with brown eyes. I am so grateful they love me.

Owen is still loving the wagon. This was earlier in the week before his sickness set in, when he was much happier. He loves outside more than any of my other kids at this age. He's crazy when he sees a door open. This spring and summer should prove interesting, I might have to cut hair outside!

 Wednesday afternoon was a doozy. We had some science fair drama among other stressors and then this sweet boy spiked a fever right around dinnertime. He'd been off and on with his sleeping for a couple days so both of us were tired and worn out. After dinner he was listless and so still. He just laid on me and even refused his binki. It was quite sad. He received a priesthood blessing and was promised sleep that night. He slept sound for 6 hours and I was so grateful. The priesthood's power is real.

 The kids knew I was upset/tired/grouchy and Reed found me crying in my bathroom. He asked if he could draw me a picture. I told him I would love one. I think it's great he has Kathryn to be his scribe. They remind me what's important and it's not science fair projects or sad memories. It's them. I love them to pieces.

Cue Valentine's Day~

 After all the science fair drama and a sick one year old, Dane tells me he needs to make a Valentine's box. At 8pm. Oh and wait, it has to be a cylinder and he needs to write an array on it. Say what? This is not how I learned my times tables, I'm old school. We pulled it together and dumped out our remaining oatmeal the next morning. He drew an array just as we were walking out the door.

 He came home with the funniest tatoo/Valentine card- a mustache. This is a secret photo- you don't see it. Remember that. To celebrate we ate heart shaped pizza, too much candy and went to bed early. I had some family games planned but they turned into our Friday night activity.

 We played some Minute to Win It games. Here we have wrap your mummy. Nathan's mummy was the hardest to corral, are you surprised? Reed kept hopping and moving around. It was very frustrating for Nathan. I found it funny when said mummy tried the jumping jacks, ha.

Dane stood a little more still. We also played stack the candy hearts, eat the candy corn, chopstick candy heart transfer and 'think of anything' Valentine style. 'Think of anything' is Reed's new game and we play it every. single. day. The other kids are tired of it but I think it's pretty fun to watch that boy's mind at work. We could only think of Valentine's things.

 Owen thought we were all crazy. Especially once they busted out of all the paper. We had to clean them up quick, Owee is a paper eater!

 A few months ago we kept trying to get Owen to pray with us. We kind of quit asking him because he never complied. Just this past week we all noticed whenever I say 'time for prayer', he obediently fold his arms. It is the cutest thing. He also yells 'DANE' and we laugh and laugh.

5 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

One of the things I love about you is you're such a grateful woman. It doesn't matter how little or how small, you take notice and thank God for it. It's such a grand talent of yours.

Cali told me the Cotton-eyed Joe part of the games are pretty funny. I'm glad you took your boys. What a great activity.

Oh man. Owen LOOKS sick. Ugga. Ugga. I've never known him to not want his binki. Glad he's well again.

What a fun post to read Melanie. I'm so glad you blog and record these things.

Kristin said...

Love Nate and Dane at the hockey game. So sorry Owen got sick! Can't believe you brought my favorite candy over among all you juggled this week. Thank you.

donna said...

great photos...

Heidi said...

I love minute to win it games! How fun! I bet the kids loved it.

Aren't hockey games SO loud and cold?! When we have gone to them there are cow bells and other obnoxious things. haha! Why do all boys love the fights?! I don't get it. lol That's funny they did the dance.

Laurie said...

Fun mom you are. You are great. Hope your week is looking up right now!