Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Little Bit of Catching Up

 Owen has had a rough couple of weeks. I rarely have sick kids so it's been a rough couple of weeks for me too. No sleep = sluggish times around here. Starting two weeks ago he had a high fever, followed by double ear infections, followed up with many nights of interrupted sleep. He started an antibiotic and I was sure things were looking up. Until Sunday at church I noticed a small rash on his face. I thought maybe he was just hot but throughout the evening, it started to spread. Sunday night he woke up four times. Can you say exhausting??

 Monday morning he was covered with a rash. Tummy, back, neck, face. Poor baby. I called the doctor only to talk with a silly triage nurse asking me about what soap I use and she told me the rash wouldn't be from the medicine 7 days after the start of taking it. I knew this was a 'medicine rash' and I'll admit my knowledge came from Google. Specifically, Google Images. I also knew the rash could break out anywhere from day 5 to day 16 (after the meds were finished). Again, thank you more than one medical website. She advised against giving him any Benedryl and suggested I start using Dove soap. Oh and I could call the next morning if it was any worse. Frustrating call to say the least.

 He took a couple good naps Monday (I took one on the couch with Reed laying all over me) but still had a rough night. I called the doctor back Tuesday morning and didn't even bother with the triage nurse. I made friends with the receptionist over Owen's birthday and he got us right in. 11-11-11 wins again.

 Medicine rash due to allergy- check. Two raging ear infections- check (no wonder we weren't sleeping!). Penicillin allergy from now to forever- check. New antibiotic- check. Recommended use of Benedryl- check. Today has been much better. Uncle Benny's helped with a 3.5 hour nap today (I didn't even need one) and his rash seems to be lessening as well. Thank heavens, I'm ready to put these past two weeks behind us. Healthy family please.

 In other news, Reed now makes his own sandwiches. I like to call his sandwich, Death by PB&J (each an inch thick on the bread). Along with a huge mess and two dirty knives, I have one happy boy over making his own sandwich. (These are the kinds of things I never let the older three do on their own. Three making sandwiches with this kind of mess was too much for me to handle. See, it's not all bad being the lone five year old at home.)

More news, Owen is feeling so much better today he started his 'throwing away' phase. Tonight I found a glass bowl, olive oil, vegetable oil, a gravy boat, a toy ball, karo syrup and cooking spray. Heaven help us it's not something important. Do you think this has anything to do with me letting him throw everything into my tub? Great, now it's all a game. We have moved into the 'always check the garbage' phase here. Thanks Owen.

Today is my grandma's 89th birthday. She chose her favorite place for dinner, Old Country Buffet. She reads my blog so I'll just say, what a great place to have dinner with 5 kids, ha. When you're 89, you get the right to choose. I have no complaints though, the kids were all very well behaved. Even Owen kept his squeaking to a minimum. I did accidentally wear my slippers (they have hard soles and I realized it when we were half way there) which I was quite embarrassed about. No worries though, no one even noticed and dare I say, I fit right in.

Reed asked me, 'How old is Grandma Great?' I told him she turned 89 today and in a split second he answered in a loud voice, 'Holy Cannoli!' When I told my grandma this at dinner, he said to her, 'Well, it is old.' Always matter of fact Reed!

All the kids really want my grandma to live to be 100. On the way to dinner Nathan said he's only have to be 22 and Grandma would be 100. Dane proudly said he'd be on his mission when she turned 100. It's not really in her plan but if she makes it, these kids will be so happy. Happy Birthday Grandma!

8 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm glad these last two weeks are behind you, too, Melanie. They sound miserable.

Dr. Google is soooooo smart.



Jill said...

Sleepless nights are brutal, I'm so glad Owen is through the worst of it!

I can't do buffet restaurants!

Kristin said...

Reed made his own sandwich at our house, he was so proud. Sorry for the rough times. Glad you fit in at the buffet!

donna said...

Poor Owen.. So glad he is feeling better...

Chandra said...

Hope Owen is feeling better. Happy birthday grandma. She is such a great lady. I loved being her visiting teacher and I miss her spunk.

Melinda said...

I am so glad Owen is doing better for you. It sounds terrible what you have had to go through!

Livy got a rash like that also when she was on amoxicillin. We found out she is allergic! I love google also.

I hope you are getting sleep!

Lucy said...

I hate when the medical establishment is condescending. I have gotten it a bit with Sam's eye's appointments and I just want to scream, "I'm not an idiot and I can read!" to them. Being married to a doctor, I know how hard internet articles can be for them to convince patients of necessary or unnecessary treatments, so I see the other side too, but...please. Dove soap? How annoying. Hope he's back to his adorable and sleepy self soon.

Heidi said...

That advice to just use Dove soap is hilarious! How silly. I learned about allergic reactions and rashes when Kate had taken augmentin when she was a toddler and she broke out in a rash when she was completely done with the meds. Who knew you could get a rash after the fact?! Not me, but now I do. So she can't ever have penicillin either.