Tonight my friend Kim text me this adorable photo of Reed. She's also my visiting teacher and nearly every time she comes, Reed somehow talks his way into going back home with her. Or to Target. Or to McDonald's. He has no shame and frequently invites himself to tag along with her where every she is going. He loves Kim. It started a couple years ago when I had a horrible time recovering from an ectopic pregnancy. She would randomly stop by and take him for a few hours. I had a hard time doing anything other than laying around the first few weeks post surgeries so this was a huge blessing. That was all it took for him, he's a fan of hers for life. Last year sometime he started sitting with her family at church. I'm not sure he'll ever sit with us again but he's (mostly) reverent behind us and that's much better than the alternative.
Yesterday we were driving past McDonald's and he asked me, 'What kind of work do you think I should do? Should I be an Animal Scientist and discover nature (quoting a show on PBS)? Or should I work at McDonald's?' Uh, scientist please?
He has quite the social calendar. He asks me every day who is coming for a haircut (and if they are bringing kids), if he's going to a friend's or if a friend is coming over. It's a little exhausting trying to keep up with all places he wants to hang out.
He likes to talk gibberish and tell me it's his own version of Spanish. I get a little worried because sometimes the 'words' don't sound very appropriate. Maybe real Spanish lessons are in order.
He also has many super powers. He can see through fog with his 'super foggers', take his eyes out and look where ever he wants, has super senses, can tell what people are thinking and more I really need to write down. Each super power annoys his older brothers and they argue with him that said powers are fake. I love his confidence and self esteem. He will not back down about how good his super foggers are and how easy it is for his to see anything when he takes his eyes out.
Before bed tonight he performed a song he made up for me. It started as a sweet lullaby about how awesome I am and how much he loves me, ahhh. The sweet, quiet singing changed and it ended in a rock version with some air guitar. Oh Reed.
We've been listening to a Primary cd in the car and Give Said the Little Stream is one of the songs. He kept asking me what the song was meaning when it said 'give'. I explained to him that we can give to others in many different ways like helping others, being kind, cleaning up, etc. A couple days later when I was driving Kat to school she told me Reed kept trying to give her his things. He would take her into his room and give her all sorts of his toys. She was flattered (she wasn't with us when I explained the song) that he wanted to give her toys to take up to her room. He is a little giver. I want to hang a picture like this in his room.
Reed- You keep me young, make me laugh and smile, test my patience with your boundless energy and literally brighten my days, especially the gray ones. Keep it up buddy, you're one of a kind. I love you to bits.

5 comments:
Ahhhh, Reed IS a funny one. I love how blunt he is. I love that he gets humor and knows how and when to use it. He's got an old soul.
Reed is one of a kind for sure. So glad he ended up in our family. It is hard to get down time with him but the up time keeps us rolling along. Last night he told me he was saving his "cash" so you might want to hang on to him if he's going to be rich!
I love that little guy. Claire has always been so easy to take to church. Always happy and reverent. But now that she is walking Carolyn said she wanted to walk the halls all day. It brought back memories of me walking the halls with Reed while you took care of your calling. He and I became good buddies walking the halls of the grape Drive chapel. He is such a bright spot in my life.
He really is too cute! I love that you write it all down, it's amazing how you think you'll never forget. Then you get OLD like me! :0) Love ya!
Mr Reed is so cute.. : )
Post a Comment