Sunday, March 03, 2013

Sunday Celery

We are in our third year of 1-4pm church. Our ward it too big to share the building so we save the other two wards from ever having that late time slot. I'm used to it by now but that's not to say we don't have some rough Sundays once we're home and waiting for dinner. We're all hungry and we're all tired. Some days are especially rough for Reed.

A few weeks ago we were having Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner. He was bawling over every thing that came his way. Someone was looking at him, someone smiled at him, someone that or that. Ugh. I knew the bunch of celery was on it's last leg without trying to revive it in some water (which I wasn't going to do) so I asked Reed if he could help me out. I had him cut celery to his hearts content. Look how much celery we had for dinner! The next Sunday he cried and cried because he didn't have any celery to cut. Not eat mind you, no way just cutting it up for others. The next couple weeks he forgot about the green leafy vegetable with little to no nutritional value, ha.

Today when he saw me making a salad just before dinner was ready, he went looking in the fridge for celery. I only let him cut up four stalks because they aren't to the bendy stage quite yet. No matter, he just went back and cut each piece twice. He is one that always needs a project. I'm not sure how I forget that little (big) fact but sometimes I do. Here's to more peaceful Sunday evenings before dinner. One sure thing, I'm keeping celery in the fridge!

5 comments:

donna said...

I'm always looking for a little helper , so if you ever run out of celery just Reed over to my house, I always have plenty of celery..

Melinda said...

This is so funny and so cute. It's a great idea to solve those afternoons. 3 years of 1-3 church is brutal.

Kristin said...

I hope we get used to 2:30-5:30 church soon. What smart parenting to get Reed involved and busy. Put celery on the menu each Sunday!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Give the boy a knife and watch him go! You're a smart mom Melanie. Seriously? You have 2:30-5:30 church coming up?

Lucy said...

I need some celery for some soup tonight and I wish i could reach into my screen and take some of your bounty! What an adorable little chopper!