Today was my first Mother's Day 'alone'. The day after Mother's Day
last year started our separation. I have been single mothering for a year. It's hard to believe
it's been an entire year since that day. Twelve months, four seasons, 52
weeks, etc. Days were slow and months were fast. Isn't that how it goes? The passage of time is clearly marked with Owen and his growth as he was just a six month old baby last May. I've looked at him many times this past year and thought as he grows how much I will be reminded of the personal growth in my life through such a difficult trial . He will always be a tender mercy from my Heavenly Father.
I didn't want to give up the tradition of a photo with the kids on Mother's Day (I have one every year since I started blogging) so I took my camera to church. I found a friend in the hall to follow us outside and snap a few. I love to see how much they've grown each year. I hope they treasure these one day as much as I do now. This year (besides Owen), Kat has definitely changed the most. Not too shabby for a rushed picture.
The kids brought me breakfast in bed. The first time completely cooked by themselves. The picture wont rotate so go ahead and turn your head to the right to get the full effect. Their explanations about this breakfast made it even better. 'We wanted to make a face but know you hate the smell of bacon so we didn't cook it. We made a hashbrown mouth instead.' So funny. Two binkis were on my 'tray' (a Pampered Chef pizza stone) as was the sweetest card. The front said, If we could make this heart a 100 times bigger we would..... because that's how much we love you. Perfect start to my day.
Yesterday my baby turned 18 months and today was his first Sunday in nursery. Sniff, sniff, joy, joy. Both emotions rolled into one. I was pretty sure he would love to be in there with toys, snacks, friends and great nursery leaders...and I was right. He did great. It was his first rite of passage at church. I could not have made it through church these past few months without the help of some wonderfully supportive friends. Nearly every Sunday Owen was hanging out in High Priests with our friend Blake. Most Sundays he slept on the bench next to him (I should post a couple photos I took with my phone, so cute) so I could enjoy the lessons in Relief Society. I needed those lessons and I needed to feel the spirit each week. Owen was not cooperative enough to sit on my lap, he was way too busy. Thankfully, the Lord provided a willing helper in my life that I didn't even ask to help. He saw a need and stepped up. So grateful for the tender mercy that hour at church has been and so grateful for Blake's help.
I couldn't resist and peeked in on him at snack time. Success! He was shoving those crackers in his mouth. He didn't cry a
brother also peeked in the window and made eye contact with him at the very end
of church. Then he realized he wanted out, ha. Could be first time charm but I sure hope not!
The other 'first' today was surprising and completely grossed out my other kids. They're still talking about it and you'll be grateful I didn't take time to document the occasion. Owen pooped in the tub. The kids talked about it for hours. I thought it was funny and fitting it happened on Mother's Day. Real mothering in action, don't you think?
I wasn't too sure about the photos at the church (it was really windy) so a friend stopped by after church to try one more time. Look how cute Owen was while we waited for her. Not in focus but I love that sweet smile.
He really deserves a post of his own now that he's 18 months. He's learning and changing all the time. Can you even believe that this little baby of mine is now in full toddler mode?
He kept walking around in the wind swinging his arms making sure we were all watching his cute moves. He loves his audience!
All I ever wanted to be was a mother . What a blessing, five times over! I fall short and I make mistakes all the time. I'm grateful for their love because when I ask for their forgiveness, they grant it freely. They teach and inspire me every day. I feel blessed they love me no matter what and I let them know the feeling is mutual. Always and forever- I love them. With my five amazing kids by my side, I
can get through anything.





8 comments:
You were raised by the best. I love the picture at the top. :)
Ahhhh, you made it through the first year and have come out the other side stronger than ever.
When did Nate get passed up by Kat in height? I hadn't noticed until the first picture.
You do have great kids. That is so kind of your friend Blake to care for Owen so you could have Relief Society. So very kind.
Happy Mother's day Mel..
Wow, what a milestone to have made it a year as a single mom to 5 kids!! You're amazing! Plus the bonus of poop in the tub!
Mel,
Happy (belated) Mother's Day! Your strength is a strength to all. You should be "proud" of all you have accomplished. You are an amazing mom and one amazing woman.
I have a poop post but probably won't ever write it because it is just mothering! Kuddos to you for striving daily to be such a stable and loving force in your sweet family's life. You are amazing!
You got a great group of mother's day pictures.
Melanie, I'm sorry, I guess I've only skimmed and looked at pictures for this last long time. On one hand, I am happy to get your news of separation this late and knowing at the same time that you are handling it well. On the other hand, I would have had you in my prayers a year sooner! You certainly have 5 beautiful children.
Penny poops in the tub like every freaking time, what am I doing wrong???
Post a Comment